beginner=questions....

bubbletea

Reaction score
uhmm hi. im thinking of learning to play the ukulele but im a complete beginner:eek:
so could anyone help out please?

first off what kind of ukulele should i get?
i play guitar so does that mean that its harder to learn the ukulele?
oh and im from chicago so i should probably get it online right?

thanks for reading!

whats up brah! welcome to the boards.

as for beginner ukulele, Soprano or Tenor is usually good. Oscar Schmidt Sopranos are good, Lanikai tenors are good, and there are some good ukes on eBay. i have a Kala i got for $235, and i really love it. musiciansfriend.com is a good site to get ukes from too.

depending where you are in chicago, there is a cousin on the forums names Seeso that lives in chicago, maybe you two can hook up.

hope i helped just a little bit!

I'd suggest you start with a cheap tenor ukulele, when you find out whether you enjoy playing it upgrade the whole ukulele or even just the strings.

I bought a $50 tenor ukulele from www.costco.com that I'm pretty much in love with. I changed the strings to nylon d'addario, it sounds amazing.

Hi Bubble Tea!

If you want to try out the ukulele, you should sit in on an ukulele class at the Old Town School of Folk Music. There are two locations, one's in Lincoln Park and the other's in Lincoln Square.

If you like how the classes are done, then you should take a class there. Check out their web site.

http://oldtownschool.org/

since you play guitar, you shouldn't have any problems on the uke. as far as what type of uke, depends on what sound you want. i play both and i like to have a warm sound on the uke since my guitars got a twangy sound to it. (hope that makes sense?)

IMG_0417.jpg

Or, since you already play the guitar, get a Yamaha Guitalele (the one in the middle). ;) It makes the transition almost instantaneous. :D

Uke-sound plus two extra courses and about $115 delivered (from Canada). Designwise, they're the same as the Koaloha D-VIs that Daniel Ho uses.

I bought a $50 tenor ukulele from www.costco.com that I'm pretty much in love with. I changed the strings to nylon d'addario, it sounds amazing.
IMG_0418.jpg

It's actually a super-concert (tenor neck, concert body) and the included strings were standard D'Addario. It was a great deal and I have one too. The neck and string-spacing was notably wide which made it an excellent fingerstyle ukulele. Unfortunately, they're all sold out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom