RESULTS - Bionylon and Nylgut Strings

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
OK, here are the results of the comparison. This was very tricky and time-consuming to collate.

I took the data from the YT comments, from the thread on UU and from the thread on Cosmos.

The strings on the instrument with the tuner were regular Nylgut strings. The set on the other uke were Bionylons. 77% of people who made a guess were correct. 23% of people got them the wrong way round. However, only about half of those that made a comment tried to guess which was which.

Only about 12 preferred the Bionylon strings (9.5%)
At least 72 preferred the Nylgut strings (56.5%)
At least 43 either did not express a preference or like both e.g. one for strumnming, one for picking (34%)

Comments about the Bionylons (numbers in brackets indicate if more than one person commented in a similar way)

Mellower (9), Warmer (6), Muted (5), Dull (2), Dead (2), Softer (2), Less attack(2)

Other comments: Fuller, More Percussive, Clearer, More Vintage, Cleaner, Fat, Jazz Tone, Sweeter, Drier, Nice, Louder, Plinky, Less Tight, Subtle, Muddy, Muddled.

Comments about the Nylguts (numbers in brackets indicate if more than one person commented in a similar way)

Brighter (19), Louder (19), Fuller tone (13), Richer (7), Warmer (6), Cleaner (5), Mellower (5), Deeper (4), Lively (2), Punchy (2), Crisper (2), Brash (2), Clearer (2), More Sustain (2)

Other comments: Responsive, Punchier, Clangier, Fatter, Better Note Separation, Better Attack, Grittier, Spikier, Harsher, Brash, Forward

Please make comments and observations. Isn't it interesting that both types of string are considered mellower and warmer?

KEN

Ken, what an interesting comparison! It tells me more about the subjective nature of what one hears and likes more than it does about the strings.

I picked the Nylguts out rather easily, and called the Bionylons "dull". Personally I think the diffence in sound between the two is drastic, and wonder why anyone would prefer the Bionylons....but that's just my ear and my preferences. Others folks are welcome to choose dull strings if they want. ;)

Thanks for the comparison. I'll be sticking with Nylguts, at least on the ukes I own now. On a future instrument, as individual as they are, who knows?...

Ken, what an interesting comparison! It tells me more about the subjective nature of what one hears and likes more than it does about the strings.

I picked the Nylguts out rather easily, and called the Bionylons "dull". Personally I think the diffence in sound between the two is drastic, and wonder why anyone would prefer the Bionylons....but that's just my ear and my preferences. Others folks are welcome to choose dull strings if they want. ;)

Thanks for the comparison. I'll be sticking with Nylguts, at least on the ukes I own now. On a future instrument, as individual as they are, who knows?...

It will be interesting to see what the nylon strings sounds like on a tenor. I will ask Mimmo to send me some when he has some ready.

Meanwhile I may try some Bionylons on a couple of other sopranos. I rather like them.

Aloha Ken,
Very intesting, personal preference and the difference in every individual's audio perception.
There's a wide range in conflicting views, some unexpected for sure...
It makes one wonder if these tests we can get a definete one sided view, probally not!!
Many thanks for doing this comparison, it was surely intresting...and can't wait for the next one..MM Stan...

This is support for why I laugh every time someone asks what is the "best" string.
It is all personal preference, sound, looks and feel. I guess the same goes for ukuleles.
Thank goodness there is more than one string and one ukulele on the market.
Viva la difference !!!

This is support for why I laugh every time someone asks what is the "best" string.
It is all personal preference, sound, looks and feel. I guess the same goes for ukuleles.
Thank goodness there is more than one string and one ukulele on the market.
Viva la difference !!!

However, I think that there are definately good strings and bad strings on the market. Quite a few are bad and I would never use them. All Aquila strings are good IMHO, though these two are very different from each other. I won't mention the bad ones by name.

However, I think that there are definately good strings and bad strings on the market...I won't mention the bad ones by name.

Actually, for those experimenting with string/ uke combinations, or who haven't yet tried many different types of string, naming and shaming the bad ones would be very useful (tonally and financially)...

and i find it very much depends on the instrument.

I adore Aquilas, and have them on most instruments. on my Mainland however, they are too boomy, and I use Martin Flouros which really make the tone "chime".

on my new Bruko slimline I've put aquilas on, but same problem - a bit too heavy - may try Martin flouros too.

thanks for the information. the bionylons might be interesting to look at in the future.

Actually, for those experimenting with string/ uke combinations, or who haven't yet tried many different types of string, naming and shaming the bad ones would be very useful (tonally and financially)...

that's the problem, it's all personal preference. many people here on UU hate ghs uke strings. when i bought my tenor, i chose the one that sounded the best with the ghs strings on them. it sounded so good that several friends that play quite a bit more expensive ukes were shocked that such a good sound could come out of a cheap uke. now that i have different strings on the tenor, it sounds that much better.

pauljmuk said:
and i find it very much depends on the instrument.

I adore Aquilas, and have them on most instruments. on my Mainland however, they are too boomy, and I use Martin Flouros which really make the tone "chime".

on my new Bruko slimline I've put aquilas on, but same problem - a bit too heavy - may try Martin flouros too.

totally agree with your first sentence. i actually like martin flouros. i have the concert strings on my soprano now. but i guess anything sounded better than what was on there before--it really sounded horrible!! i guess the gauges were wrong, but it also may have been that i had cardboard for a saddle that my uke sounded bad, or a combination of both. now it has an actual saddle and decent strings. i think i'm going to try aquilas on it the next time i change strings.

that's the problem, it's all personal preference...

Absolutely - I'd just been curious to hear of any 'universally' reviled strings, ones that just weren't bothering with no matter what tone you were looking for.

If there aren't any, all the better!

Top Bottom