Pono Mahogany Slot Head

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU+
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received a PM from a member asking about this uke. I'll post some photos of it. The stock strings were terrible. If you played it off the rack you would have a hard time buying it IMHO.

A switch to Worth Clear low g has dramatically improved the sound. Its very comparable in sound to my Kamaka HF-3 but I don't really think I have a great ear. However, to me it is very mellow sounding but hard strumming can increase the volume tremendously.

I can attest that it is MUCH lighter than the older model Ponos. A friend with an all Koa older model and I compared them last night and the old model felt like a club.

I've noticed that the mahogany is usually straight grained but I was drawn to this one due to the curls in the grain. I spoke with John Kitakis at the Uke Festival about this. The one they had on display was straight grained. He stated that they had batch of very curly mahogany and those ukes came out great. I think mine looks very similar to the one of their website.

P1010566.jpg

P1010564.jpg

P1010563.jpg

P1010559.jpg

Aloha Ronnie,
Howzit brah, thanks for sharing your awesome Pono and great pictures. This is my
first up close look at one, as I haven't much experience with them. Wow the
craftsmanship is amazing...and it's beautiful...I need to check into this, and where
it is made. The back looks like a Kamaka..it sure looks really expensive....How's
the tone on it, bright and or rich????? Thanks, MM Stan...

That's a pretty uke. I looked at Pono at MGMs booth in Northridge, I wasn't super impressed and it was probably because of the stock strings. I didn't look too hard since I had just paid for a KoAloha tenor...minutes before.

Hey Bruddah Stan,

I have to admit, this uke is "Bling City." The detail and craftsmanship is impeccable. The BWBWBWB binding is perfect along with the ebony binding on the heel and cap on the base of the neck The gloss finish may be even shinier than my Kanile'a UV finished uke. The abalone rosette is also flawless.

The only flaw according to luthiers is that the strings do touch the bottom of the slot. I've read that they should not touch anything but the nut. However, I have nothing to compare it with to discern any difference.

Pono ukes are made in Indonesia according to Ko'olau guidelines. MGM stated the Indonesian luthiers used to shape their necks by hand until Ko'olau took over. The final set up is at the Ko'olau factory in Wahiawa.

The uke definitely has more of a rich sound versus a bright sound. My KoAloha is still the brightest tenor that I have.

Aloha Ronnie,
Thanks for the quick response, it really caught my eye....was the gloss finish and abalone inlay and the five band BW binding..
Also the WBW stringer in the back between the bookmatched back. Come to think of it, I was just looking at the front again and
it reminds me of my Oscar schmidt OU5 Koa laminate..It has the same high gloss and abalone inlay purfling. My oscar has the
following...WB abaloneBWB combo purfling and binding from the outside in. Another connection is that it's also made in Indonesia
Jus wondering if it's made in the same factory as the similarities are amazing.... MM Stan...
Actually I just pulled out my oscar and the design around the soundhole is exactly the same....BWABALONEBWB... very intesting
but overall mines is not close in quality to yours...probally sound too...shucks!

Last edited:
Aloha Ronnie,
Thanks for the quick response, it really caught my eye....was the gloss finish and abalone inlay and the five band BW binding..
Also the WBW stringer in the back between the bookmatched back. Come to think of it, I was just looking at the front again and
it reminds me of my Oscar schmidt OU5 Koa laminate..It has the same high gloss and abalone inlay purfling. My oscar has the
following...WB abaloneBWB combo purfling and binding from the outside in. Another connection is that it's also made in Indonesia
Jus wondering if it's made in the same factory as the similarities are amazing.... MM Stan...
Actually I just pulled out my oscar and the design around the soundhole is exactly the same....BWABALONEBWB... very intesting
but overall mines is not close in quality to yours...probally sound too...shucks!

That wouldn't surprise me. I would imagine they both get their rosettes from the same supplier. I would doubt they inlay their rosettes from scratch for a production uke. It also wouldn't surprise me if they are made at the same factory. I'm sure they build to each company's specs. It seems like most of the Chinese manufactured ukes have similarities too. Perhaps its the same situation in Indonesia.

Beautiful! If it plays half as nice as it looks....then wow.

Top Bottom