Call me mad if you like... new makala dolphin... for the baby!

bazmaz

Reaction score
My 9 month baby loves uke so much she plays with them like toys. Whilst I dont let her touch my pricey instruments, I let her play with my red Makala Dolphin - heck - that thing is bombproof!!

Anyway, mad as I am, I thought she deserved her own model... at 9months old....

Full details on the blog

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/07/blimey-i-am-on-roll-another-new-uke.html

ps - ordered from Bonsai guitars - not a shop I've ever used before - but UK based, limited stock but a good range of Kala and Makalas if you like. At the moment, free delivery too, and Paypal checkout available.

Last edited:
Not mad at all - just a good dad!

I bought a Makala Dolphin after watching my little ones banging on my Mainland. I've come to the realization though that I really just wanted to buy it for myself and the kids were just a nice excuse. I keep it on the main floor of my house for open use and keep the Mainland in the "Man-Cave." I have got my wife to play it a bit. I figure the more I can get my wife to play it, the closer I am to getting a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday.

Seems completely sane to me, my youngest grandson has had his own (albeit a nearly unplayable tourist uke!) since hhe was about 10 mos. He always wanted to join in with his brother, sister and I when we played and I originally let him use my old Hilo baritone, but found this tourist shop soprano and it's much more his size. I don't think you can start kids in music to young if they show an interest.

Lol..sounds like a good idea to me. I've been planning to by a pink dolphin for my new little girl (4 mo. now) for her first birthday. Hope it takes! ;)

Well, it arrived. Looks great and she loves it

First class service from bonsai guitars btw. Never used before, delivered next day, free postage too!

First class service from bonsai guitars btw. Never used before, delivered next day, free postage too!

Yeah, the two Dolphins I got from them (was only supposed to be one, for a friend's birthday, but once I'd had a go on it at £25 it'd be rude not to!) were delivered very quickly.

love your sig... so want to try queen is dead on uke!

You are mad as a hatter Paul, or maybe mad like a fox. Great idea, get them started young and you'll have a prodigy on your hands in no time. ;) What color, pink?

Last edited:
Got her purple. Nice too!

My 9 month baby loves uke so much she plays with them like toys. Whilst I dont let her touch my pricey instruments, I let her play with my red Makala Dolphin - heck - that thing is bombproof!!

Awesome, Paul.

9 months is about the same age my boy was when I let him have my free ukulele that I won from some music store in Ala Moana ages ago. This is picture of the son 19 years ago when he was still baby:
0ee7745679050b29b9cb2427539c3e2f1280137384_full.jpg

If you check the end of the headstock, the kid also loved teething on as much as plucking at it.

The one thing I would be concerned about is some of the super cheap stuff coming from China. Since the babies are teething at that age, they will nom-nom on the ukulele so got to be careful that the ukulele doesn't contain lead paint, lead varnish or cadmium metal tuning parts.

Otherwise, ever too young or too old to enjoy the uke! Great way to bond with your kids and give them the gift of music.

re the materials - she doesnt play with it alone - but to be honest, with a name like Kala (plus the fact that these are aimed at kids and schools) I think Kala will have that issue buttoned down - anyone from Kala on here to confirm?

Top Bottom