My ukulele helped me get my new job

Hehe yay!

It's a Children's Librarian position. In addition to an interview, I also was required to do an "audition" storytime, which includes reading a book and performing a singalong related to the book. So I did that and played my uke with the singalong too. And apparently it was awesome! :D

Sooooooo so so so happy.

That's so cool! Congrats!

Congrats Bunnyflower,
I'm sure we're all envious of you, because you get to do what you love......Jus soooo happy for you!!!
MM Stan...

Last edited:
Nice! I figured it had to be a job with a performance piece. We have a position open in my church for a youth director and I keep hoping we'll get someone to come in for an interview who brings a guitar along. That would be awesome.

Good luck with the new job!

~DB

Hey, that's really cool! I've got an MLIS and have never even considered children's librarianship (and thus, I don't work in a library, as most entry-level positions are children's) - but hey, nobody ever mentioned to me that it might mean I could bring the uke to work :)

Nice going bunnyflower. It probably helps that you have a nice singing voice too. Those are going to be lucky kids. Now, if you could get them to purchase a few ukes for check-out at the library, you could give lessons too!! I am not a tax expert, but, many of your uke expenses are now work related and might be deducted on your income tax.

–Lori

Hehe yay!

It's a Children's Librarian position. In addition to an interview, I also was required to do an "audition" storytime, which includes reading a book and performing a singalong related to the book. So I did that and played my uke with the singalong too. And apparently it was awesome! :D

Sooooooo so so so happy.

Good for you! Enjoy your job. Nowadays not everyone has that luxury.

Im thinking of taking my Ukulele along to my Job interview, although, im going for a summer job at my local videogames retailer "Gamestation" .. ill take it, and if they ask, ill just whip out a bit of Super Mario :)

Nice going bunnyflower. It probably helps that you have a nice singing voice too. Those are going to be lucky kids. Now, if you could get them to purchase a few ukes for check-out at the library, you could give lessons too!! I am not a tax expert, but, many of your uke expenses are now work related and might be deducted on your income tax.

–Lori

Ohhhhh how I wish. I don't know if I could get away with supplementing my UAS from tax deductions!

I have talked with some other librarians here in the past about getting ukes for the library; I know some libraries that do that. But, our budget is so awful now, and it's worse each year (I am talking like 70% cuts). So, if we got new things like ukes for the library, they'd have to be donations. Most of our best stuff here has come from donations. :)

We did try hosting a "music jam" as part of our summer reading program this year, and a co-worker and I brought all of our ukes to share with anyone who showed up. It had some success... some weeks were better than others. ;) We did get to teach some teens a few things though!

But thank you! I am really, really looking forward to sharing music every day as part of my job.

Im thinking of taking my Ukulele along to my Job interview, although, im going for a summer job at my local videogames retailer "Gamestation" .. ill take it, and if they ask, ill just whip out a bit of Super Mario :)

I know if I were hiring someone at a game store and an interviewee did that, I'd be floored and hire them instantly!

Hehe yay!

Sooooooo so so so happy.

Congratulations! I am a Montessori teacher, and I work with 2 1/2 - 6 year old children. I am a new uker, but I am looking forward to incorporating it into our singing time this school year. I'd love to hear which song/story combinations are working best for you.

Top Bottom