Essential Uke Listening, what do you recommend?

I was just digging through the forum looking for a thread on this very topic. My interests would be uke instrumentals of more island style repetoire or standards.

Jake's Gently Weeps album. I like the solo uke versions of all those songs better than the sweetened-up band versions. His Live album is also stunning.

For me it'd be 'Bird-Brains' by tUnE-YaRdS - as well as the likes of Beirut, Lady Lioness, Danielle Ate the Sandwich, Mirah, Noah and the Whale...

I was just digging through the forum looking for a thread on this very topic. My interests would be uke instrumentals of more island style repetoire or standards.

Have you ever seen a book called "King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies" by Chas E. King? I found one years ago in a used bookstore. The copyright is from 1934. It has a lot of cool stuff in it. I wish I had a cd of all the songs in the book!

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I will have to pick up some new CDs. I love Jake's stuff, I agree with you RevWill, I like his solo uke stuff too. I will have to pick up the Live CD.

Hey,
I don't know if anyone has posted this question yet. What are the CDs that you recommend as essential ukulele listening? Thanks!
Mike
I had thought about an "essentials" list and I think it would be a great idea but it will have to include more than just music. In the meantime, Hippie Guy has a "Recommended Uke Stuff" listing which you may find interesting.

Right now I would say one of the best ukulele albums out, if not one of the best new Jazz CDs, is Brittni Paiva's "Four Strings: The Fire Within." I have been listening to it everyday for a month now and just love it! Mike

Get Aldrine and Ryan's CD -- granted it's covers, but the ukin' is fantastic! Can't go wrong with Jake. Get some IZ. And there's tons more.

I think anything by Troy Fernandez is awesome. Hawaiian Style Ukulele was a great album and volume 2 looks pretty sweet as well.

Thanks for the plug Kanaka.

Essential? My list is "recommended" - though some of it's essential. But essential...

Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele by Troy Fernandez
'Ukulele Journey by Herb Ohta Jr.
Live by Jake Shimabukuro
Brittni's new album is sick too as was already said

Hmm... There are lots of good ones, but those are the best off the top of my head.

misterpk: Are you talking about "Ride Time" by Troy?

I'm just gonna repeat, Troy Fernandez is amazing. That is all.

Nobody has recommended Victoria Vox yet. She's what happens when a really good songwriter finds her voice in a little instrument.

Personally, Peter Moon. Started back in '69 with a group called Sunday Manoa and the debut album of Guava Jam. Started the cultural renaissance for Hawaiian Music.

+1 for Peter Moon. More guitar than 'ukulele, but the line is so fine that you could play either for most songs (if you have incredible chops). By the way, in case you don't know, Peter can probably pick faster than Jake. Unreal. We were listening to him today making poi and it's just awesome music. "Cane Fire" and "The Best of" are the two I have. Pandanus is a sweet song.

I gotta lot of CDs to buy!!! Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I think anything by Troy Fernandez is awesome. Hawaiian Style Ukulele was a great album and volume 2 looks pretty sweet as well.

Is there a volume 2 for Hawaiian Style Ukulele? Hawaiian Style has been on repeat in the CD player for months now. Troy is the man. Brittini is awesome too. Jake makes you feel like your inadequate, I listen to him and then put my ukulele back in the case. Ha!

Top Bottom