PDA

View Full Version : Essential Uke Listening, what do you recommend?

fumanii
07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey,
I don't know if anyone has posted this question yet. What are the CDs that you recommend as essential ukulele listening? Thanks!
Mike

olgoat52
07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
I was just digging through the forum looking for a thread on this very topic. My interests would be uke instrumentals of more island style repetoire or standards.

janeray1940
07-30-2010, 06:32 AM
A good (and inexpensive) overview would be the compilation With My Little Ukulele in My Hand (http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Ukulele-Hand/dp/B0013FDEDG).

RevWill
07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Jake's Gently Weeps album. I like the solo uke versions of all those songs better than the sweetened-up band versions. His Live album is also stunning.

Graymalkin
07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
For me it'd be 'Bird-Brains' by tUnE-YaRdS - as well as the likes of Beirut, Lady Lioness, Danielle Ate the Sandwich, Mirah, Noah and the Whale...

fumanii
07-30-2010, 07:26 AM
I was just digging through the forum looking for a thread on this very topic. My interests would be uke instrumentals of more island style repetoire or standards.

Have you ever seen a book called "King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies" by Chas E. King? I found one years ago in a used bookstore. The copyright is from 1934. It has a lot of cool stuff in it. I wish I had a cd of all the songs in the book!

fumanii
07-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I will have to pick up some new CDs. I love Jake's stuff, I agree with you RevWill, I like his solo uke stuff too. I will have to pick up the Live CD.

Kanaka916
07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey,
I don't know if anyone has posted this question yet. What are the CDs that you recommend as essential ukulele listening? Thanks!
Mike
I had thought about an "essentials" list and I think it would be a great idea but it will have to include more than just music. In the meantime, Hippie Guy has a "Recommended Uke Stuff" (http://liveukulele.com/ukulele-info/recommended-ukulele-stuff/) listing which you may find interesting.

lambchop
07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Right now I would say one of the best ukulele albums out, if not one of the best new Jazz CDs, is Brittni Paiva's "Four Strings: The Fire Within." I have been listening to it everyday for a month now and just love it! Mike

sukie
07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Get Aldrine and Ryan's CD -- granted it's covers, but the ukin' is fantastic! Can't go wrong with Jake. Get some IZ. And there's tons more.

misterpk
07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I think anything by Troy Fernandez is awesome. Hawaiian Style Ukulele was a great album and volume 2 looks pretty sweet as well.

Brad Bordessa
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the plug Kanaka.

Essential? My list is "recommended" - though some of it's essential. But essential...

Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele by Troy Fernandez
'Ukulele Journey by Herb Ohta Jr.
Live by Jake Shimabukuro
Brittni's new album is sick too as was already said

Hmm... There are lots of good ones, but those are the best off the top of my head.

misterpk: Are you talking about "Ride Time" by Troy?

phanzo
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm just gonna repeat, Troy Fernandez is amazing. That is all.

RevWill
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Nobody has recommended Victoria Vox yet. She's what happens when a really good songwriter finds her voice in a little instrument.

peterp
07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
John King.

Kanaka916
07-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Personally, Peter Moon. Started back in '69 with a group called Sunday Manoa and the debut album of Guava Jam. Started the cultural renaissance for Hawaiian Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovUVPI1NLU

franulele
07-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't forget Lyle Ritz!

Brad Bordessa
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
+1 for Peter Moon. More guitar than 'ukulele, but the line is so fine that you could play either for most songs (if you have incredible chops). By the way, in case you don't know, Peter can probably pick faster than Jake. Unreal. We were listening to him today making poi and it's just awesome music. "Cane Fire" and "The Best of" are the two I have. Pandanus is a sweet song.

fumanii
07-31-2010, 04:09 PM
I gotta lot of CDs to buy!!! Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Kauai808
07-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I think anything by Troy Fernandez is awesome. Hawaiian Style Ukulele was a great album and volume 2 looks pretty sweet as well.

Is there a volume 2 for Hawaiian Style Ukulele? Hawaiian Style has been on repeat in the CD player for months now. Troy is the man. Brittini is awesome too. Jake makes you feel like your inadequate, I listen to him and then put my ukulele back in the case. Ha!

Chris Tarman
07-31-2010, 08:42 PM
It sort of depends on what kind of music you like, but here's some of the ukulele things I have: Victoria Vox (all of her albums are really good, but I think I like "Chameleon" the best); Lyle Ritz; Lyle Ritz and Herb Ohta; John King (the cd of Bach cello concertos); Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards; Roy Smeck (kind of hard to find much where he's playing uke though); George Formby; The Moonlighters; Jake, of course (although it's sort of like listening to Victor Wooten if you're a bass player... after a while you want to smack him for making everyone else look like a couch potato!); James Hill (I actually like him better than Jake, who I can only listen to in small doses); Sophie Madeleine; Ukulele Jim (who posts on here but I forget his UU name.. .sorry Jim!); Iz (although I only have the ONE song); Garfunkel and Oates (they range from somewhat dirty to downright filthy, but they're very funny and clever); Greg Hawkes (former Cars keyboardist who has a cool cd of instrumental Beatles songs on uke).... hmmmm... I know I have more, but they slip my mind. As you can see, I don't actually have much traditional Hawaiian ukulele music. I should remedy that I suppose. But I am more interested in old '20s and '30s jazzy tunes... Tin Pan Alley-type stuff. I think that's most of the ukulele stuff I have... other than a few things that have some uke on them, like George Harrison's last album ("Brainwashed"), and some old Queen (really just 2 songs I can think of, "Good Company" from "A Night at the Opera" and "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" from "Sheer Heart Attack").

thejumpingflea
08-01-2010, 01:29 AM
"A Flying Leap"
James Hill

This is an album full of in your face uke playing, but not at the expense of musicianship and flavor. I love this album for it's showing of what an instrumental uke can do and for it's diversity in styles.

"Live"
Jake Shimabukuro

There is a reason Jake is widely regarded as the "best" ukulele player around. He puts on one hell of a show. His albums don't compare to seeing him live and while this one doesn't either, it is certainly a showcase of his virtuosity in his true form.

"No Frills"
Lyle Ritz

Nobody can jazz it up like Ritz. His voicing and control of the uke in the enormous style of jazz is unbelievable.

"2 to 3 Feet"
Daniel Ho & Herb Ohta Jr.

A revisit to the past numbers done by the original Herb Ohta-San, this CD showcases two of the most lyrical virtuosos to ever play a uke.

There are so many more... These are just 4 that REALLY stand out to me as an instrumentalist.

luvdat
08-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Simply not enough praise or even mention of James Hill on this forum.

If I could pick one characteristic that is a necessary component of "essential" for me: entertaining. This does NOT BTW preclude "serious music."

Chris Tarman
08-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Personally, Peter Moon. Started back in '69 with a group called Sunday Manoa and the debut album of Guava Jam. Started the cultural renaissance for Hawaiian Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovUVPI1NLU

Is that TAPE holding the top of the uke together???

Kanaka916
08-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Is that TAPE holding the top of the uke together???
No, looks like it's holding the p/u wire in place . . . anyway, if I had those skillz, you know what I mean!

dans003
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
the re-entrants
dans

Chris Tarman
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
the re-entrants
dans

I haven't heard them, but that has got to be THE BEST name ever for a ukulele group!

Hippie Dribble
08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Lil' Rev's stuff is great fun and easy to play along with.

Also check out The Old Spice Boys from Byron Bay in Australia, featuring Azo Bell on uke (plus Billy Milroy on tea chest bass and Tim Reeves on snare). Brilliant, irreverent, makes you smile wide!

I admit, like some others, to feeling discouraged when I listen to Jake Shimabakuro. Lyle Ritz is a personal fave and his amazing "How About Uke" album still gets a frequent run at our place.

dans003
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I haven't heard them, but that has got to be THE BEST name ever for a ukulele group!
they do hilarious covers, search on youtube
at least one of the two of them is on the underground.

citizenjazz
08-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Fumanji, you now have hundreds of recommendations, all very good.

One of my uke gods is Troy Fernandez and I know many of you will second that.

If you want to discover where Troy and many present Hawaiian uke players come from, try to get some albums including various artists like Eddie Kamae, Eddie Bush, or Jesse Kalima:

- How About Uke: Wizards of the ukulele,
- Legends of the Ukulele, vol 1 & 2.

they can be bought on iTunes.

Alain.

SamUke
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I just picked Ohta San's Bossa Nova tribute and it is really amazing, I can not believe he plays all of that on a soprano!

mds725
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Is there a volume 2 for Hawaiian Style Ukulele?

Yes! Released at the end of June 2010. http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Style-Ukulele-Troy-Fernandez/dp/B003S05XSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1281069273&sr=1-2

Strummingbird Stu
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
One of my very favorite players to listen to is Herb Ohta, Jr. He is simply amazing! He may not be as flashy as some of the other top players, but he plays very cleanly, and his choice of music is very enjoyable to listen to. You can pick from his duets with Keoki Kahumoku, Daniel Ho, or several of his solo cd's. If you haven't yet, please take a listen to his uke playing - I think you'll love it too!

wickedwahine11
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
One of my very favorite players to listen to is Herb Ohta, Jr. He is simply amazing! He may not be as flashy as some of the other top players, but he plays very cleanly, and his choice of music is very enjoyable to listen to. You can pick from his duets with Keoki Kahumoku, Daniel Ho, or several of his solo cd's. If you haven't yet, please take a listen to his uke playing - I think you'll love it too!

I concur. He is one of my favorite players, and his version of "Europa" is my favorite song on ukulele, hands down. Sigh, I'm still trying to learn how to play it but can't get past page 3 of Dominator's tabs of it.

molokinirum
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Troy Fernandez!! Or Iz!!! Or Jake!!