Essential repertoire and suggested recordings for Classic hawaiian uke instrumentals

olgoat52

Reaction score
Just starting out and would like to direct my efforts towards learning some island style (classic hawaiian) standards and find some good recordings of them.

I dug through the forum and found several threads with more pop songs listed. Some had what appeared to be hawaiian themes.

I am very new to this and have a lot to learn. Hoping to bring some old guitar skills to bear but they will probably just get in the way :rolleyes: I have been a singer all my life but don't really enjoying signing but I enjoy playing, thus the focus on Instrumentals.

So what do you all think should be in a core instrumental repertoire for any uke player playing in the islands? And what artists and recordings would you recommend.

Thanks

What I have found is that many folks will interpret traditional Hawaiian vocals as instrumentals. Check out Herb Ohta, Jr. and Daniel Ho, they do instrumental versions of I'll Remember You and E Ku'u Morning Dew that are really beautiful. I also play an instrumental version of Pua Mae 'Ole that sounds really nice. The only reason I play that song as an instrumental is that my vocals are not good enough to do that song justice. I would love to be able to sing that song, I just don't have the pipes for it. This guy does it much better than I do.I would also get Mahi Beamer's recordings, those are some solid songs that I have been learning to play. Even though my falsetto is not even on the same planet as his, I find that I can play the songs a couple of keys lower or instrumentally and people enjoy them very much. I am a haole, but my wife is Hawaiian and I play for her side of the family often. Most Hawaiians enjoy hearing the old songs, and you might find that if you can play them, they will sing or dance to them and that way you might not have to sing if you don't want to. I predict that once you start getting into the music, you will want to sing though, that's what happened to me!

I predict that once you start getting into the music, you will want to sing though, that's what happened to me!

I played guitar and sang most of my life (long time..) and made more than a few bucks doing it but I have not enjoyed singing for many years and have actually gotten self conscious about it. When I played for money, I always got hired for the voice, not the guitar. So I never really got very good on instrumentals and solo work. I know a boat load of chords and am pretty good at backing soloists.

What are some of the "old songs" as you call them. I suspect those are the ones I am looking for. Thanks for the "Mahi Beamer" recommendation. I will check that out.

Last edited:
Here's a thread I started awhile back asking some of the 'Locals' about favorite Hawaiian Mele, either Traditional or Contemporary. Instrumental covers of Hawaiian songs are okay and I can only speak for myself, prefer singing them. Just an island thing, I guess. Check it out . . .

Thanks! Maybe living in the islands would give me something to sing about :D I live in Chicago and there is a reason for all the "blues" singing around here. :cool:

Here's a thread I started awhile back asking some of the 'Locals' about favorite Hawaiian Mele, either Traditional or Contemporary. Instrumental covers of Hawaiian songs are okay and I can only speak for myself, prefer singing them. Just an island thing, I guess. Check it out . . .

What are some of the "old songs" as you call them. I suspect those are the ones I am looking for. Thanks for the "Mahi Beamer" recommendation. I will check that out.
No, that is not me playing Pue Mae 'Ole, I *WISH* I could play that well, but I'm working on it.
When I say the "old songs" I mean the traditional Hawaiian mele that Kanaka916 mentions in his thread. There is also an excellent compilation, He Mele Aloha, that has pretty much all of them in it, but that book is geared mainly for strumming and singing the songs. You can get it on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/He-Mele-Aloha-Hawaiian-Songbook/dp/0974256420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280518563&sr=8-1

Some of my favorites to play
Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake
Kimo Hula
Ka Huila Wai
Noho Paipai
Ku'u Hoa
Pua Lilia
White Sandy Beach
On the Beach At Waikiki
Waikoloa
He U'i
Papalina Lahilahi
Pua Mana
I Kona

But like Kanaka916 says, I cannot imagine playing any of those songs without singing, unless you are able to do the vocal interpretation at the same time. If you've been a guitarist for many years then you probably have the chops already though.

Pueo, if you don't mind, I'd like to link your list of mele with some YT vids . . .

Pueo, if you don't mind, I'd like to link your list of mele with some YT vids . . .
That is an excellent idea!
I wish I had more YouTube vids of myself playing them hahaha
I do have a few of the ukulele club I play in for example...

Some of the links are just recordings of the song just so you have an idea of what the melody sounds like. I've also linked them to the lyrics and you may have to transpose the chords to suit your vocal capability. If there is a problem with any of the links, please send me a PM so the necessary correction can be made. Enjoy . . .

Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake - a beautiful song by Keali’i Reichel, Lyrics

Kimo Hula - I’ve taken a liking to this version by Keli’i Kaneali'i and Chino Montero’s riffs; Lyrics

Ka Huila Wai - What can I say, Iz . . . Lyrics

Noho Paipai – Makaha Sons with a young Jake, always worth watching; Lyrics

Ku'u Hoa - Couldn't find Robi's version; Lyrics

Pua Lilia - One of my favorite songs, performed by the Sunday Manoa; listen to Peter on the Uke; Lyrics

White Sandy Beach – Another favorite . . . Actually a Makaha Sons medley, originally done when Iz was a member; Lyrics

Waikoloa; Lyrics

He U'i; Lyrics

Papalina Lahilahi - Who else but Auntie Genoa; Lyrics

Pua Mana - Performed by the Beamer Brothers over 20 years ago; Lyrics

I Kona - A kanikapila favorite, usually done in falsetto (if can); Lyrics

what about tabs for these songs for those of us who dare not sing? I might be able to figure something out by listening but maybe there's already some made up.

I like Steven Espaniola also, I've seen him live a few times, his falsetto is amazing.

Thank you! This is great. This combined wtih your other thread on Mele Hawaiian would make a great sticky

I would check out Mark Nelson's book about fingerstyle ukulele and John Kings book, The Classical Ukulele. Both have excellent instrumental arrangements of traditional Hawaiian songs, as well as some other tunes to keep it interesting.

what about tabs for these songs for those of us who dare not sing? I might be able to figure something out by listening but maybe there's already some made up.
Tabs for Hawaiian songs are few and far between. Those who do, probably have them annotated on paper and probably won't be viewed publicly. An example would Peter Moon's Pandanus. A lot of folks from the 808 can play it and I've never found it on paper.

Mark Nelson's Fingerstyle Solos for the Ukulele offers some Hawaiian songs. Famous Solos and Duets for Ukulele. You can also check Ian Chadwicks Vintage Uke Songbooks for King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies and Hits From Hawaii for the Ukulele, although I'm not sure if tabs are included.

Top Bottom