Never to early to join a local Uke Group

brunette_moment

Reaction score
Well, three weeks into my uke adventure I plucked (strummed?) up my courage and went along to my local uke group this Wednesday night.

I was mortified when I realized the format is you go round and each pick a song and then lead it off and folks join in. Somehow when it was my turns, I got through a Patsy Cline number and then Pennies from Heaven, and some others I've blanked on. And before I knew it, it was 9 o'clock.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that (a) I didn't spontaneously combust from ineptitude, and (b) uke people are super cool and welcoming and supportive, so if you've been wondering about going along to a local group, just do it!

Was that Alan's group in Ventura? I've heard it was an in formal play-around format and pretty fun. Good on 'ya for sucking it up and getting in the game! Ojai would make a great setting for a uke festival.

Well, good for you! Thanks for sharing the news and keep us posted with your progress.

Ojai would be an OUTRAGEOUSLY AWESOME location for a uke-fest ... :)

Be careful. I heard there was 4 dead in Ojai O. (joke with Neil Young reference)

I am joining a group of foreign uke players. I'll be like you; but I appreciate you posting that you did it. It means I need to suck it up too and not be afraid to try.

I just joined a group and I don't know a single song
anyway I went and it was fun actualy I'm more nervous about going the next time cause I figure I should show some improvment

There are a few pieces of information I share with and encourage all new ukulele players with.
1. Trust your ear and get your nose out of the book.
2. Get out and play with a group.
3. Practice a little every day.
4. HAVE FUN!!!!!

I am so glad brunette_moment had a great time, everyone loved her and wants her back. We are a group of music lovers that loves to share.

I just wish I had a group nearby to join. I imagine the closest one is in Denver, which is nearly 6 hours away.

I just wish I had a group nearby to join. I imagine the closest one is in Denver, which is nearly 6 hours away.

There are a few gouprs here in Los Angeles that get together regularly. But LA is such a big place that none of them are convenient to me. So I went to my local music store and asked if I could try setting up a time for ukulele players to get together at the store and play. Just a couple times a month, no big deal. Then I posted here on UU, put some flyers around and the players showed up. We had a few at first, they'd come and go and we went from a small group of three to as many as 15.

When local music events take place, I go hand out flyers for the ukulele group. And posted for players on Craig's List. Point is, people don't know where to look for ukulele players. So get out there and tell them where to look. The local music shop is a good place to start because it will give the group a good neutral place to meet.

I started our small group at a coffee house. The owner is happy to host us during the week as he is not very busy.
We all buy something to drink to support him and we even get audience once in a while.
Some restaurants have private rooms you can use if people will buy a meal.
So if you post a few flyers, do a Craig's List & UU ad you can easily start a group.

Harold where does your group meet?

We meet at the Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park. It's the west end of the San Fernando Valley. We meet every second and fourth Sunday of the month. We have an active UU thread under Regional Get Togethers. There are several LA-based groups. Probably one near you.

Top Bottom