PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Uke Jam

austin1
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Who: Us
What: Uke Jam, Philly Style.
Where: Rittenhouse Square, in one of the big patches of grass around the fountain
When: 1PM, Saturday, August 21st
Why: Because We Feel Like It
How: With Four Strings
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577589069&v=info#!/event.php?eid=147963991880904&ref=mf

The following people are not welcome:
Ghosts
Serial Killers
Guidos

If you are not one of the aforementioned unwelcomed, then BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Sambient
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I just might be able to do this one! Will know closer to the date.

CoLmes
07-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I'll be coming from allentown, lemme know if anyone needs a ride I'll be glad to take ya.

Mandarb
08-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I should be able to make it. I will be coming from the Quakertown area.

Skitzic
08-02-2010, 06:07 AM
I'll be coming from allentown, lemme know if anyone needs a ride I'll be glad to take ya.

I'll meet you at the Quakertown exit of the NE extension if you take the pike. I will even chip in for gas and tolls. :p

CoLmes
08-02-2010, 06:33 AM
I'll meet you at the Quakertown exit of the NE extension if you take the pike. I will even chip in for gas and tolls. :p

I have no idea where that is but ill def. hook ya up!

Skitzic
08-02-2010, 06:58 AM
I have no idea where that is but ill def. hook ya up!

You've been gone so long you forgot the lingo?!

Quakertown exit of the turnpike dude. Fastest way to Philly from where (I think) you are is going to be the pike, which means you'll have to drive past the Quakertown exit, which is 10 mins from my house. :)

CoLmes
08-02-2010, 07:08 AM
You've been gone so long you forgot the lingo?!

Quakertown exit of the turnpike dude. Fastest way to Philly from where (I think) you are is going to be the pike, which means you'll have to drive past the Quakertown exit, which is 10 mins from my house. :)

Yeah it's been awhile so everything is fuzzy to me, i'll learn :) ok, we'll get more detailed as we get closer to the 21st lol.. keep in touch

Sambient
08-04-2010, 01:47 AM
This is shaping up to be quite an event! If my schedule stays as it is, I'm in. Looking forward to meeting so many fine UU folks. Though now you're going to find out that I still haven't learned very much on my uke at all. I'm more a happy mindless noodler.

jbm
08-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I'm planning on crossing the bridge and doing some uke jamming.

Mandarb
08-04-2010, 03:20 AM
This is shaping up to be quite an event! If my schedule stays as it is, I'm in. Looking forward to meeting so many fine UU folks. Though now you're going to find out that I still haven't learned very much on my uke at all. I'm more a happy mindless noodler.

Oh good, so I am not the only one :)

cashew
08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
aargh, you picked the weekend I'm stuck working...

If this works out, if you plan for perhaps, Sept 4th/5th, I'll see if I can make the drive down...barring traffic, its less than 2 hours away.

austin1
08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
bump.

philly philly philly philly philly rhymes with if you don't come you will shunnedilly.

Mandarb
08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Looking forward to meeting everyone. Should be a fun day.

Sambient
08-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Weather permitting, I'm on board for this!

austin1
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
according to the 10 day, it's going to be cloudy but with barely any chance of rain, 85 degrees.

go philly!

CoLmes
08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
according to the 10 day, it's going to be cloudy but with barely any chance of rain, 85 degrees.

go philly!

Saw the same thing, fingers are crossed.

Skitzic
08-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Maybe if we all glare at the sky all week, the clouds will be scared away.

Sambient
08-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Bump, baby, bump!
Since my husband wound up with no gig on Saturday after all, he's expressed interest in this.

Skitzic, will you be bringing the goat that's in your avatar?

CoLmes
08-19-2010, 05:11 AM
DAAAHHHHHH its almost here!

Rzr
08-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Sorry, can't make it this time.

veep
08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
maybe i can make if i come to NJ .

Mandarb
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
maybe i can make if i come to NJ .

But we will be in Philly. ;)

austin1
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
But we will be in Philly. ;)

he's coming to my town, which is all of about thirty seconds from philly. and by thirty seconds I mean twenty minutes, but whatever!

Skitzic
08-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Bump, baby, bump!
Since my husband wound up with no gig on Saturday after all, he's expressed interest in this.

Skitzic, will you be bringing the goat that's in your avatar?

No. No goat bringing. You need all kinds of permits for that.

Mandarb
08-20-2010, 05:24 AM
he's coming to my town, which is all of about thirty seconds from philly. and by thirty seconds I mean twenty minutes, but whatever!

Cool - just having a little fun. It looks like the weather is going to hold. Should be a beautiful day.

CoLmes
08-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Hey guys! Try to bring a couple copies of a few songs you want to sing together!

Mandarb
08-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey guys! Try to bring a couple copies of a few songs you want to sing together!

We have to sing? I can barely play.

jbm
08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
We have to sing? I can barely play.

That's OK. If I sing it'll be sure to clear the area of unwanted varmints.

Mandarb
08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
That's OK. If I sing it'll be sure to clear the area of unwanted varmints.

Not if I clear them out first.

CoLmes
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
LOL its all good. IF you know any songs you want to play just bring them. It's okay if you don't though :D It'll be a blasty blast

sukie
08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Have fun you guys.

Sambient
08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I sure did!

Apologies for not being able to stick around longer today. Great meeting everyone. Wondering where the video footage CoLmes was getting today shall surface.

austin1
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
twas fabulous meeting everybody! I had a blast!

CoLmes
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I just got back. I'll post it up tomorrow or monday. IT was a total blast. I'll do a recap of the whole day when I get a chance!

jbm
08-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes it was an awsome day. Great meeting everyone, and what beautiful weather too!

Skitzic
08-22-2010, 08:17 AM
It was cool meeting everyone. What a long day though! Woof!

That guy with the sticks amused me. I think he was in love with you Colin.

CoLmes
08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
It was cool meeting everyone. What a long day though! Woof!

That guy with the sticks amused me. I think he was in love with you Colin.

I'm a magnet for guys with sticks.

CoLmes
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
ok! here's some videos for yo booties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfL6wFoVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ki9BjjPt0

CoLmes
08-22-2010, 04:41 PM
annnd some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIV9jTVNZ2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpI5skg8Mc

more to come

CoLmes
08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
And one more, i still have a few more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03twWpABrA

Mandarb
08-23-2010, 06:33 AM
It was nice meeting everyone. I had a good time and I am glad the weather cooperated.

Sambient
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Sambient/mms95picture.jpg
Kevin captured a candid shot with his cell phone while taking a smoke break.

Inn Sea
08-24-2010, 03:17 AM

Uh oh, am I holding it wrong.

Sambient
08-24-2010, 03:24 AM
The uke or the tune?

And, no, I don't think you are.

jeunejolie777
08-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Totally! Had so much fun - even made me forget the 4hr drive from Bmore to Philly ;) The peeps at the park after dark were lovin' our jams :) Colin def is a man magnet - he made that dude's day, he even said so ;)

CoLmes
08-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Totally! Had so much fun - even made me forget the 4hr drive from Bmore to Philly ;) The peeps at the park after dark were lovin' our jams :) Colin def is a man magnet - he made that dude's day, he even said so ;)

Yeah I gotta beat them off with a stick. Sometimes its with my stick. Whatever, it's 2010.

austin1
08-25-2010, 07:02 PM
RAMON IS A GUIDO.

also, he did not come to philly.

this is me not ignoring you, you non philly attending canadian guido man.

Rzr
08-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Dear Tina,

I liked it better when you were ignoring me.

Ramon.

austin1
08-26-2010, 03:07 AM

I really like this picture!

mm stan
08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome time.....is this the makings of a new UU sub uke club???Sooo Kool...
Does anybody know all the members name in the picture???? MM Stan.

Mandarb
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah I gotta beat them off with a stick. Sometimes its with my stick. Whatever, it's 2010.

Apparently I left a little too early and missed all the excitement. Anybody going to fill me in?? or "What happens at Philly Uke Jam stays at Philly Uke Jam."

Skitzic
08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Apparently I left a little too early and missed all the excitement. Anybody going to fill me in?? or "What happens at Philly Uke Jam stays at Philly Uke Jam."

When we went back to the square after dinner we were playing by the fountain. There was a guy there playing with Devil Sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_sticks) and he fell in love with Colin after we played a group version of Creep.

CoLmes
08-26-2010, 08:52 AM

From left to right

Sambient, Skitzic, not sure, not sure, not sure, notsure, mandarb, austin1, and me but i dunno where i was when this was taken.

Mandarb
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
When we went back to the square after dinner we were playing by the fountain. There was a guy there playing with Devil Sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_sticks) and he fell in love with Colin after we played a group version of Creep.

So the song title fit the occasion.

Mandarb
08-26-2010, 09:20 AM
From left to right

Sambient, Skitzic, not sure, not sure, not sure, notsure, mandarb, austin1, and me but i dunno where i was when this was taken.

....Skitzic, Inn Sea, not sure, not sure, jbm, Mandarb....

Skitzic
08-26-2010, 09:37 AM
From left to right

Next to me is Inn Sea, the next two females I don't think are on the forum, and I thought he was jbm?

Inn Sea
08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm new here - Inn Sea / Patrick. Thanks Colin and Tina for telling me about UU. People seem to be looking in my direction in the picture, maybe trying to figure out the joke on my shirt. My name is Inn Sea because I like to play in the key of C. Although on ukulele I guess that would be F.

Skitzic
08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
....Skitzic, Inn Sea, not sure, not sure, jbm, Mandarb....

Oops...should have read further.

jeunejolie777
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Ah!!! Inn Sea is you, Patrick! Awesome! I really enjoyed your playing and your awesome banana, banana, banana, orange tshirt!!! :)

jeunejolie777
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
There was full-on man hug action going on. The dude said that he had a craptastic day that day and 'Creep' really cheered him up! Power of uke, people, power of uke!!! ;)

mm stan
08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Aloha Philly Uke Gang,
Much Mahalo's for the user names of the gang, now I can match them with their faces...BTW I was watching the Video earlier,
who is the oriental girl with the awesome pipes, she sounded great and their uke playing was good too. Thanks again, MM Stan...

jeunejolie777
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
That Asian girl is me, Christina, from Baltimore, MD :D Much mahalo for the compliment! My friend, David, and I got there waaaaay late since it took us 4 hours to get from Bmore to Philly with all the traffic. It was SOOOOO worth the drive though! We had a great time and look forward to jammin' with our Philly friends soon!

mm stan
08-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Aloha Christina,
Many thanks for introducing yourself, WOW you really have an awesome voice, I was taken back by it and watched it a couple times..
Jus love the song too and you played it very well on your Kala cutaway... I really looked at your uke too, and at that moment I thought
I should get one of those...it really sounds great, but then I realized it was maybe because you were playing it...Looks like maybe the
beginnings of a sub UU Philly Uke Club..eh!! Hope to see and hear more of your playing, do you have a You Tube account....
Have fun strumming them strings!!! Take Care and Aloha for now....MM Stan...

Inn Sea
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
That Asian girl is me, Christina, from Baltimore, MD :D Much mahalo for the compliment! My friend, David, and I got there waaaaay late since it took us 4 hours to get from Bmore to Philly with all the traffic. It was SOOOOO worth the drive though! We had a great time and look forward to jammin' with our Philly friends soon!

Christina and David both have amazing voices, can't wait to hear them again.

mm stan
08-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Christina and David both have amazing voices, can't wait to hear them again.
Aloha Patrick,
Welcome to the UU and our Humble forums.....I'm sure we both are not the only ones for sure, I just
hope they start making videos...maybe on You tube or share with us here....MM Stan...

cashew
08-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, I was talking to a couple of peeps about making another Jam date that I could actually go to :) We were thinking the second Saturday in September (Probably the 11th.)
We were also thinking of moving it around a little to make some of the commutes easier-- Laurel Acres, in Mount Laurel, NJ (Which isn't too far from Camden) was brought up (its near Tina!)

BUT... where would you guys like to meet up? (I'm all for wherever's within 2 hours of NYC :) I can drive that easily)

Other interesting areas would be:
A Manhattan park (Bryant, Washington Sq, Battery et al)
Staten island park (Convienent for me... but I'm lazy :) ) like Snug Harbor Cultural Center... only because they have an awesome stage and huge lawn... (and that its minutes from my house)
Various Jersey parks (Like Laurel Acres)
Philly places (Rittenhouse Sq Park)

Wherever we choose, I'll bring a cooler full of goodies :)

So, who's in?

Skitzic
08-27-2010, 02:41 AM
Well, I was talking to a couple of peeps about making another Jam date that I could actually go to :) We were thinking the second Saturday in September (Probably the 11th.)
We were also thinking of moving it around a little to make some of the commutes easier-- Laurel Acres, in Mount Laurel, NJ (Which isn't too far from Camden) was brought up (its near Tina!)

BUT... where would you guys like to meet up? (I'm all for wherever's within 2 hours of NYC :) I can drive that easily)

Other interesting areas would be:
A Manhattan park (Bryant, Washington Sq, Battery et al)
Staten island park (Convienent for me... but I'm lazy :) ) like Snug Harbor Cultural Center... only because they have an awesome stage and huge lawn... (and that its minutes from my house)
Various Jersey parks (Like Laurel Acres)
Philly places (Rittenhouse Sq Park)

Wherever we choose, I'll bring a cooler full of goodies :)

So, who's in?

...I should probably be able to make that.

Sambient
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Next to me is Inn Sea, the next two females I don't think are on the forum, and I thought he was jbm?
ezreader is next to Inn Sea, she's on the intro section. Very new to the uke and has a fantastic KoAloha pineapple. Turns out, we live in the same town.
Lady in pink, Connie, was with jbm.

Sambient
08-27-2010, 12:07 PM
As for next get together, the 11th is unlikely for me as I should just be in the new job around that time. Where it turns out austin1 and I will be in nearby work places.
I think Cooper River has some potential too as a Jersey area, but I'd also like to start thinking for when the weather is not our friend and any gathering places that we can figure out that are indoors. Maybe we could even establish a regular time and place eventually.

Skitzic
08-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Colin and I were talking briefly about when it gets cooler. Winter is right around the corner, so get to work on this people!

jeunejolie777
08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow! Thank you for so much encouragement and so many compliments :) I'm really humbled by all the positive feedback! Everyone there made the jam so much fun and I feel so lucky that I made some friends in Philly! MMStan - my Kala cutaway was a second-hand uke that I bought from a fellow UU member :) She needs her strings changed out but I've just been too lazy to do it :P She sounds great plugged into an amp too! I definitely would recommend giving one a home :) I don't have a YouTube account because, in all reality, I am very shy and self-conscious :/ Maybe one of these days I'll be as brave as the other UUers and start one! There is a Bmore uke club but we are not as active as other regions. I hope to change that in the future!

mm stan
08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow! Thank you for so much encouragement and so many compliments :) I'm really humbled by all the positive feedback! Everyone there made the jam so much fun and I feel so lucky that I made some friends in Philly! MMStan - my Kala cutaway was a second-hand uke that I bought from a fellow UU member :) She needs her strings changed out but I've just been too lazy to do it :P She sounds great plugged into an amp too! I definitely would recommend giving one a home :) I don't have a YouTube account because, in all reality, I am very shy and self-conscious :/ Maybe one of these days I'll be as brave as the other UUers and start one! There is a Bmore uke club but we are not as active as other regions. I hope to change that in the future!
Aloha Christina,
Mahalo for the 411 on your ukulele, Your Quote last line....There is a Bmore uke club but we are not as active as other regions. I hope to change that in the future!
When you get more comfortable at the club, we hope you be more active in You-tube too, and change that in the future also..Take Care and God Bless!! MM Stan...

cashew
08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Colin and I were talking briefly about when it gets cooler. Winter is right around the corner, so get to work on this people!

I know of some things more local to me for when it gets cold... but, I'm a LOOONG way away from all of you guys!

Sambient
09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Is Sept 11 still going down? Maybe a new thread should be started dedicated specifically to this.

Even though I have no new songs to contribute if I can make it.

Skitzic
09-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Is Sept 11 still going down? Maybe a new thread should be started dedicated specifically to this.

...this is a very good question.

Mandarb
09-02-2010, 07:21 AM

I say lets keep going with this thread - we already have eight pages. Lets make this the longest thread in the Regional Get Togethers Section.

Mandarb
09-03-2010, 03:38 AM
As for next get together, the 11th is unlikely for me as I should just be in the new job around that time. Where it turns out austin1 and I will be in nearby work places.
I think Cooper River has some potential too as a Jersey area, but I'd also like to start thinking for when the weather is not our friend and any gathering places that we can figure out that are indoors. Maybe we could even establish a regular time and place eventually.

I met and jammed with UUer Nick from PA last night. He holds a monthly jam at his place in Jim Thorpe, PA the first Thursday of the month. May be a bit far for some of the Jersey folk. We were talking about setting up a monthly jam at the Wildflower Cafe in Bethlehem, PA which will be a little closer especially for some of us PA ukers. Keep an eye out for additional threads in the Regionals section.

Josh!!!
09-03-2010, 10:26 PM
A get-together in the Allentown/Bethlehem area would be fantastic for me. With work, I can only make it out to Philly maybe twice a month, and that time is pretty much reserved for spending time with my girlfriend who is going to school in center city. I'd be willing to set up a mailing list or dropping off fliers or anything to get the word out. I'm so tired of playing alone!

austin1
09-05-2010, 06:05 AM
would anyone be down for another philly uke meet up on saturday the 18th, as opposed to the 11th? It's my little cousin's birthday party on the 11th, and my mother would kill me if I wasn't there to see him open up his hotwheels.

Skitzic
09-07-2010, 07:44 AM
would anyone be down for another philly uke meet up on saturday the 18th, as opposed to the 11th? It's my little cousin's birthday party on the 11th, and my mother would kill me if I wasn't there to see him open up his hotwheels.

18th is actually better for me.

Mandarb
09-08-2010, 03:49 AM
I will be visiting some friends in South Jersey on the 18th. If something gets set up in Mid/South NJ, I would be able to attend from about 10am to 12PM.

Inn Sea
09-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Saturdays are hit or miss for me - I usually have lessons scheduled all afternoon. If I had my choice I'd rather be uking! Ukeing? Playing the ukulele.

jeunejolie777
09-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Awwww! David and I would love to jam with y'all on the 18th but I don't think that we will be able to make it up to Philly this weekend :( Either way, we will definitely be there in spirit! Have a blast and I hope everyone is doing well :D

Mandarb
09-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Any final word on the 18th - time and place??

austin1
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I can't make it the 18th anymore either. Looks like we'll have to find a new day? 18th seems bad all around

CoLmes
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
18th, you naughty boy/girl :angry:

Skitzic
09-14-2010, 02:13 AM
I can't believe you're all letting real life get in the way of the uke...pfft. :p

Mandarb
09-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Tentative new date? Location? - now that we are getting into some cooler weather

austin1
09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
we need a place indoors. I'll look into a JCC or Y in the area, maybe we can rent a space

Mandarb
09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
we need a place indoors. I'll look into a JCC or Y in the area, maybe we can rent a space

That would be great. Maybe there is some cafe/coffee house in the area that we could set up to meet on a regular basis. UUer Nick from PA has been working with the Wildflower Cafe in Bethlehem (about an hour north of Philly) trying to set up a monthly meet.

Skitzic
09-15-2010, 04:23 AM

Try some coffee shops. They're usually willing to work with people (at least around here).

mm stan
09-15-2010, 04:44 AM
Try some coffee shops. They're usually willing to work with people (at least around here).

Yup, music shops, coffee shops, and lounges are perfect places for open mic....even in the city park clubhouses or the Y's..
do you have karaoke bars there in Philly, where you can rent a room...

Skitzic
11-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Hey Philly slackers. We going to do this again or are we calling it off until the holidays are over? Inquiring minds want to know!

austin1
11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm down for whatevs, although getting together again would be way fun

Skitzic
11-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Did anyone ever look into an indoor location?

mm stan
11-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Did anyone ever look into an indoor location?
Aloha Philly Ukers,
Waiting for another awesome video......hope you're not waiting for next year when it gets warm again...he he only joking...love to hear you guys and gals again.....MM Stan....