Bashed...But Then I Loved

luvdat

Reaction score
Feel free to join me in yet another public repentance thread...regarding the uke make or even uke size of your choice...

Yes, I previously criticized, doubted and dissed...Mainlands...but now I own a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano...I stand here repentant and amazed...

Mike, are you out there listening? This is me humbled and grateful!!! Picked one up at East Village Music in NYC this afternoon...a simply astounding uke value!!!

Duly noted. Enjoy yourself!

Duly noted. Enjoy yourself!

Even better, enjoy that uke. Mainland's cedar sopranos are loud, punchy and brilliant. Just great ukes. Play the heck out of it!

I'm glad you're loving it!

Even better, enjoy that uke. Mainland's cedar sopranos are loud, punchy and brilliant. Just great ukes. Play the heck out of it!

I'm previewing it tomorrow at my niece's Hawaiian themed birthday party. My wife is bringing her Makala Dolphin. BTW, my wife's first words when she saw the uke: "That looks like an antique." Her first words after listening to me play it for awhile: "That things sounds great!"

BTW to join the chorus of voices who love the rope binding as cliche as it sounds: catalog photos do not do it justice. Also I had originally considered the neck width too wide...not any more!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I previously criticized, doubted and dissed...Mainlands...but now I own a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano...I stand here repentant and amazed...

Mike, are you out there listening? This is me humbled and grateful!!! Picked one up at East Village Music in NYC this afternoon...a simply astounding uke value!!!

"I tell YOU that thus there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner that repents than over ninety-nine righteous ones who have no need of repentance." Luke 15:7 :D

"Blessed is he that finds joy in playing his 'ukulele" Book of Honu 1:28 :)

I can't fathom why anyone would criticize, doubt and/or diss Mainland.
I'm glad you've had the opportunity to learn the error of your ways.
I'm thoroughly in love with my Mainland and though I have others on which I've spent more, it is the finest uke I own.

"I tell YOU that thus there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner that repents than over ninety-nine righteous ones who have no need of repentance." Luke 15:7 :D

"Blessed is he that finds joy in playing his 'ukulele" Book of Honu 1:28 :)
Some great teachings there! I gotta get me a copy of the Book of Honu!
And a Mainland too.

I bet it still has my nasty fingerprints on it from when I played it on Tuesday. Such a sweet uke! Glad you're enjoying it. :D

Aloha LuvDatUke,
Congrats on the new ukulele purchase score....I'm feeling that your UAS may be peeking now....for sure!!!
How's your new Gem sound, Please give us the 411.. and I see now you're a EVM satified and regular, eh!!
And have fun a the b-Party and let us know how it goes...ENJOY!!! .MM Stan...

I bet it still has my nasty fingerprints on it from when I played it on Tuesday. Such a sweet uke! Glad you're enjoying it. :D

Actually not, LOL. It arrived Thursday afternoon (Claude called) and he took it straight out of the unopened box on Friday afternoon right in front of my eyes...a great event after a tiring week.

Last edited:
Aloha LuvDatUke,
Congrats on the new ukulele purchase score....I'm feeling that your UAS may be peeking now....for sure!!!
How's your new Gem sound, Please give us the 411.. and I see now you're a EVM satified and regular, eh!!
And have fun a the b-Party and let us know how it goes...ENJOY!!! .MM Stan...

Will definitely post some pics and a review...also, been putting this off...will start a You Tube account within the next couple of weeks...

Will definitely post some pics and a review...also, been putting this off...will start a You Tube account within the next couple of weeks...

Finally LOL. I'm just sorry we didn't get to hear YTs of your journey trying to find the best uke (for you). I am not yet convinced you are at the end (what's next after the Mainland high fades), but its both fun and frustrating traveling this road that most of seem to travel trying to find that uke that most pleases us. Its fun sharing it with other travelers.

Last edited:
Finally LOL. I'm just sorry we didn't get to hear YTs of your journey trying to find the best uke (for you). I am not yet convinced you are at the end (what's next after the Mainland high fades), but its both fun and frustrating traveling this road that most of seem to travel trying to find that uke that most pleases us. Its fun sharing it with other travelers.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone's descent into madness, LOL which could have resulted from having more fully shared that journey...beyond my posts and PM's....but actually it's a great journey!!!

BTW, back where I started, with the realization that when it comes to a uke for singing with I prefer a soprano all the way (officially recorded on the favorite poll, LOL)...and even for my instrumental stuff.

Last edited:
I sometimes wish I'd gotten the cedar instead of the mahogany so's I could get that "punch", But my Akulele gives me that in spades, so the mellower mahogany is a nice contrast.

Hmmm. I've been good. Where's that damn credit card? My uke collection is feeling a little skimpy!;)

All is forgiven. Enjoy that new soprano! I love my Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. In fact, I'm playing it as I type this. Ok, I'm HOLDING it as I type this... but I WAS playing it a second ago!

Aloha LuvDatUke,
No big stuff!! everyone goes in phases....and they're opinions may change...it was just your point of view at the time..
Nothing wrong expressing yourself, No apoligies needed....and all is forgiven and accepted.....MM Stan...

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new Mainland Steve! I have, and enjoy, a Lanikai Koa (laminate) Tenor, a Flea Concert, a Kiwaya KS-1 and a Roy Smeck Vita Uke, but I play my Mainland Concert Mahogany more than all the others combined. Looks, feels and sounds terrific!

Thanks Fran. I remember you referring to your Mainland as your workhorse and that's the kind of soprano I was looking for. And thanks again for your previous help and input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom