The London Ukulele Company

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hi All -

I was perusing eBay this evening, and I happened to stumble on an auction for a "London Ukulele Company," tenor ukulele. The auction can be seen: here. I know the shape might not be everyone's taste, but I dig it. I also like the idea of specifying the shape of the headstock, using "green," woods, etc. Their mission statement seems reasonable enough (and you can see their website: here), but I couldn't find any reviews on their products, or really many pictures of their work.

So, has anyone heard of these guys? Are they comparable to the eleuke at all? Maybe someone in the UK can give them a ring and see what the deal is?

Thanks in advance. :eek:

I'm from the UK and this is the first time I've heard about them, the Southern Ukulele shop has a good rep, this one looks like a start up as it says that the Uke you where looking at was it flagship model.
So if your thinking of buying from them, do some more research, or bite the bullet and phone them yourself. Better to spend a few bucks on a long distance call than to end up with a rubbish ukulele.

I'm from the UK and this is the first time I've heard about them, the Southern Ukulele shop has a good rep, this one looks like a start up as it says that the Uke you where looking at was it flagship model.
So if your thinking of buying from them, do some more research, or bite the bullet and phone them yourself. Better to spend a few bucks on a long distance call than to end up with a rubbish ukulele.

Sound advice indeed, my friend. From the looks of it, I'd just as soon buy an eleuke (a well-known brand with an established resputation), but I really resonate with the shape of this one. It looks a little bit like the little brother of my Carvin CT4 (the one in the link isn't my guitar specifically, but it does give a reasonably close approximation). I'm still holding out hope someone has had first hand experience with them, but if not, no worries.

PS - What's this business about a Piezo Shot pick-up selling for 5 pounds? Are they any good, or what?

. PS - What's this business about a Piezo Shot pick-up selling for 5 pounds? Are they any good said:
Five pound won't buy a decent coffee I'd give that a miss!

Sound advice indeed, my friend. From the looks of it, I'd just as soon buy an eleuke (a well-known brand with an established resputation), but I really resonate with the shape of this one. It looks a little bit like the little brother of my Carvin CT4 (the one in the link isn't my guitar specifically, but it does give a reasonably close approximation). I'm still holding out hope someone has had first hand experience with them, but if not, no worries.

PS - What's this business about a Piezo Shot pick-up selling for 5 pounds? Are they any good, or what?
What do you think!

What do you think!

If nothing else, you have to give them credit for finding what has to be the cheapest possible pick-up option. I think the only thing cheaper would be to hire a guy to hum what you just played for 4 quid. Results vary depending on the person used, lol.

The parts they sell on their website look suspiciously like the Thomann Uke kit here http://www.thomann.de/gb/hosco_ukulele_kit.htm and the fretboard on their electric uke looks to be from the same kit. I built one of the Thomann kits and the quality is nothing special, I feel I would have been better off just buying a Dolphin for around the same price.

Regarding the Piezo pickup, don't dismiss them as they can be quite effective. There have been a couple of threads about them in the Luthiers forum. However if you go to an electronics parts supplier they are only a few pence each. I got some from CPC and I think they were about 20p each or something ridiculous, Maplin may have them too. They can also be used on other things and are often used for those box thingy's that Seasick Steve uses to stamp out a beat with his foot.

Ian.

Top Bottom