First picture of my StewMac Tenor build....

breitling

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here is the first picture of my StewMac tenor build. I am gluing the kerfing onto the top of the ukulele. The picture also shows the form I built (see my other post).

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_4353..jpg
    IMG_4353..jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
looks good. how did you make that jig?

looks good. how did you make that jig?

I took the template from the instructions, and copied it several times. I took one of the copies and cut out the two halves of the uku I then used those to lay out three 3/4 " MDF versions of each side. I only have a scroll saw so I cut each of the 6 pieces as best I could. I then screwed and glued the three pieces for each side together, did a lot of sanding and that is what I ended up with. If you read my other post, you can read my question about how exact the curves need to be to the original template. I got close but it is not exact. If I was going to do it again I would do two things differently (and I probably am going to do it again!). I'd use a band saw to cut the individual pieces and I'd leave a little more waste on those cuts to allow for more sanding to mate the three pieces that make up each half of the jig.

Good luck on your jig if you try and make one. I do have a copy of Ukulele Design and Construction and I watched most of the YouTube videos (thanks Peter Howlett) I could find on ukulele and guitar construction.

Hello everyone,

Here is the first picture of my StewMac tenor build. I am gluing the kerfing onto the top of the ukulele. The picture also shows the form I built (see my other post).

Bob

Looks great! I'm using the same mandolin kerfing to build my StewMac tenor. Those mini clamps are great, aren't they? I finally got a nice tight joint all the way around. Clothespins just don't work well on triangular kerfing.
I wish I had the tools to make a mold like yours! I'm realizing that it is very difficult to keep the sides perpendicular while sanding in my radius dish... kind of defeats the purpose of having a radius dish if I can't sand with any precision... oh well.
Keep up the good work. Oh, and next time, you should include a "wrist shot" in your post :)
Cheers,
Mika

Looks great! I'm using the same mandolin kerfing to build my StewMac tenor. Those mini clamps are great, aren't they? I finally got a nice tight joint all the way around. Clothespins just don't work well on triangular kerfing.
I wish I had the tools to make a mold like yours! I'm realizing that it is very difficult to keep the sides perpendicular while sanding in my radius dish... kind of defeats the purpose of having a radius dish if I can't sand with any precision... oh well.
Keep up the good work. Oh, and next time, you should include a "wrist shot" in your post :)
Cheers,
Mika

Yes, I made a sanding board (ala Ukulele Design and Construction) and with the body in the form, I was able to sands both sides very nicely. I apologize up front, I am so new at this, what do you mean my "wrist shot"?

Did you make your radius dish? I'd like to hear more about that and the process you are following.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Yes, I made a sanding board (ala Ukulele Design and Construction) and with the body in the form, I was able to sands both sides very nicely. I apologize up front, I am so new at this, what do you mean my "wrist shot"?

Did you make your radius dish? I'd like to hear more about that and the process you are following.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I actually bought my radius dishes pre-routed, then stiffened them with plywood and added the sanding surface.
I figured with a name like "Breitling" , you must have a few nice watches to show us... that's what I meant by wrist shot. A bit off topic, I know :)
cheers,
Mika

A couple of easy tricks for using clothes pins on kerfing. First, notch one side of the clothes pin end to match the profile of your kerfing. They are wood, so it does not take long. Then wrap a rubber band around the end of the clothes pin to increase the clamping tension.

Brad

A couple of easy tricks for using clothes pins on kerfing. First, notch one side of the clothes pin end to match the profile of your kerfing. They are wood, so it does not take long. Then wrap a rubber band around the end of the clothes pin to increase the clamping tension.

Brad

The micro-clamps with swivel feet are $0.99 for 6 pcs... no notch or extra rubber bands required!
Mika

Top Bottom