Score of the century...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
In the middle of the Indian ocean are the Andaman Islands - my sawyer here in the UK has scored what looks and smells like Andaman Padauk and what could possibly be Narra. It is from an estate sale where the bundle was probably originally sold to the joinery business as 'Burmese Rosewood'.

If it is Andaman - I am awaiting samples.... I have been trying to track this wood down for about 5 years after hearing a guitar made from it. I made decorative boxes out of it one time and it is the most incredible wood. What makes it the find of the century is that Tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, you name it, the Andaman Islands got it all in the last 15 years, practically devastating their entire silviculture. It was in a parlous state before the climate disasters of the past 2 decades so this wood truly is rare, unlike other so called rare woods that are still being harvested, logged and converted.

In the middle of the Indian ocean are the Andaman Islands - my sawyer here in the UK has scored what looks and smells like Andaman Padauk and what could possibly be Narra. It is from an estate sale where the bundle was probably originally sold to the joinery business as 'Burmese Rosewood'.

If it is Andaman - I am awaiting samples.... I have been trying to track this wood down for about 5 years after hearing a guitar made from it. I made decorative boxes out of it one time and it is the most incredible wood. What makes it the find of the century is that Tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, you name it, the Andaman Islands got it all in the last 15 years, practically devastating their entire silviculture. It was in a parlous state before the climate disasters of the past 2 decades so this wood truly is rare, unlike other so called rare woods that are still being harvested, logged and converted.

Incredible news! Please keep us updated!

At the moment it is a wish until I see the timber. Won't be for a couple of weeks but this stuff, if it is genuine has the most incredible scent and is visually stunning.

Can't wait to see pictures of this wood and hear some sound samples of the finished ukes. What is your best guess as to how long ago this wood was milled?

This sounds like an amazing find! Fingers crossed for you, Mr. Howlett!

Top Bottom