Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Obsession

Votes: 56 78.9%

• Total voters

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've noticed a distinct difference between how I look at my instruments, and how my band mates look at theirs. They see theirs as tools of the trade to make music and money. It's not that they don't like the instruments they play but when the gig is over, they can drop them back in their case only to be removed again to practice or change strings. On the other hand, I like to have mine in hand all the time, not just to practice new material or keep up with my skills, but to be close to my 'uke, admire the finish changes as wear produces shiny spots in the heavily traveled areas, the smell, the feel...everything. I like the fact that I make money with it, but it goes beyond that to an obsessiveness...a friendship, a relationship.

Which camp are you in? Is your 'uke an object or an obsession?

It is definitely an obsession for my Kamaka tenor. I feel lost if I am away from it for more than a day. For my KoAloha and Kanile'a ukes, they are somewhere in the middle, with the KoAloha leaning obsession and the Kanile'a leaning object.

Easy question, easy answer: obsession...even if you own just one.

Obsession... absolutely, 100%

Obsessed, completely uke crazy, that's me. I have so much fun with this obsession. I enjoy thinking about ukuleles, looking at new designs, seeing photos of other people's ukes, considering what might be my next purchase. I can still do other things, so maybe obsessed is a little strong.

–Lori

It's a total obsession for me. everyone in the music scene here where i live would vouch for me. They all say its weird when they see me at a show and i dont have my ukulele, even if im not on the bill

I own over a dozen different pineapples, hmm I dunno. :confused: :drool: ;)

It has to be obsession, I've had lots of musical instruments, guitars, Dumbek, didgeridoo, and even a sitar. The Uke is like my miniture rat terrier "Elli", she's small with alot of personality, she adores to be held and played with, and she thinks she is royalty. I have a Lanakai pineapple now, but just ordered a spruce" tenor" from musicians friend.

Music is obsession, the instrument is the object.

Going to have to go with the obsession camp, speaking for myself. My basses are more tools, although there are a couple that I love very much. But I just don't ever play them or do ANYTHING with them once the gig is over (or band practice). But I am constantly playing a uke if I am at home. I also catch myself "evangelizing" about ukulele, sometimes to my friends and co-workers, and sometimes to total strangers, which is a little disturbing to me! I haven't yet gotten to the point of hauling one around with me everywhere I go, but I can see that happening someday.

I almost always have a uke within reach. My "beater" uke was purchased specifically so I could fit it in my backpack and take it along whenever I leave the boat. When we're on charter, I keep it next to my pillow.

I have to admit it. I'm obsessed.

Music is obsession, the instrument is the object.

It's an obsession to find the perfect feel and sound. There is a great article in this month's Fretboard Journal about David Rawlings and his 1935 Epiphone archtop guitar, which he found in a friend's garage and bought for like $60. He describes the connection with the guitar as a watershed moment in his art.

Here he is playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7KZxPydOc

Last edited:
Obsession, i remember getting grounded, and having my Uke taken off of me for a week... worst. week. ever.

Now that I'mforced to think about it, I guess it's sort of an obsession. One I try not to obsess over too much so I don't get tired of it. But after 2 1/2 years and a bunch of ukes and a custom soon-to-be, I guess I'm not doing so good with the keeping it under control. It's the most fun I've ever had. I've met some of the greatest people ever.

Are you kidding me? 15 ukes. I admire all of their unique voices, sizes, shapes, woods, characteristics, and idiosyncracies. I surf ebay and all of the custom builder sites all the time. I visit the UU at least a couple of times a day. I play before I go to work at 5:30am, before I go to bed, and any time I can in between. All of my ukes have names. Any questions?

I'm totally obssessed by choice. I don't feel out of control but I act like I am.

Top Bottom