Look What I Brought Home !!!

steelgtr

Reaction score
Went to my FIL's for dinner. Took our cheapie Uke for fun and he says I got one from back in the war when I was in Hawaii! When we were leaving he said take it home!

Couldn't get it to tune ( I know nothing about friction tuners), but here are some pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24281297@N04/sets/72157624634101288/

So, what the heck do I have?? !!

thx

bob

Last edited:
I don't know anything, but the Martin part looks interesting.

WOW. CONGRATULATIONS!

WOW, Martin style 1 like JVANN said....a very desirable uke indeed!

Those friction tuners usually work quite well, you may have to play with adjusting the screw on the tuners. Also, on every vintage uke I have got which still has very old strings on it, I can not get super old strings to sound right even if they are tuned to pitch. New strings and and a tweak to the tuners and you should be playing up a storm. As my grandmother would have said...."play it in the best of health"!!

Aloha Bob,
That's a nice father in law you have there , he must think so highly of you...What you have there is a Martin style 1 with the faux turtle binding.
I had a Style 2 with the same tuner knobs..Mine looked absoutely the same except for different bindings...mine is dated circa 1950...
Are you sure about the Date on yours??? As for the tuning, can you be a little more elaborate....are you having a hard time tuning it
(intonation) or maybe it can't stay in tune. I hope it's the latter one...if so just tighten the screws on the tuning knobs so they don't slip.
Yup it looks in great condition, looks like it'll stay in the family heirloom, eh!!I hope this helps, "Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Yep, a VERY nice looking Style 1. Congratulations! I want one of those someday! I love tortoise shell. In fact, I almost bought a Style 1 instead when I bought my Style 2. There is a Style 3 in my town that I am hoping to get, if I can talk the guy into selling it... But someday, I WILL have a Style 1!

Last edited:
Did you produce a grandson yet with FIL's name? If not get to work! You owe him that now. ;)

OK, Guys

A few questions on the Martin.

What strings for an older Martin?

The finish on the top is blotchy (glossy) almost like someone "refinished" the top and headstock.

The tune screw slots are very rounded and hard to get a screwdriver to seat. Is there a danger of cracking the plastic tuner handle?

Should I just put strings on it or take it to the pros (Gryphon) and really have it setup properly?

Thanks!

bob

You have a very nice FIL.

WOW! Congratulations! It is beautiful! Tighten the tuners and get some new strings like Aquilla and you will be all set. Enjoy!

I am waiting for that day...!! I have an great aunt and uncle who throw away NOTHING... sort of like Horders. I wonder if there perchance could be a ukulele under their pile of stuff that they will pull out and give me someday. A girl can dream. Enjoy yours. It is an awesome gift!

I am waiting for that day...!! I have an great aunt and uncle who throw away NOTHING... sort of like Horders. I wonder if there perchance could be a ukulele under their pile of stuff that they will pull out and give me someday. A girl can dream. Enjoy yours. It is an awesome gift!

I have the same dream about my mom's attic.

I'm kind of a hoarder too (at least according to my wife), but I'm pretty sure there are no Martin ukes in the house that I don't know about or remember having.

Top Bottom