Anyone prefer Kanilea tenors over KoAloha tenor?

iDavid

Reaction score
I've read threads on the Kanilea's being more musical than KoAloha tenor, but I'm not sure I get it. Can't really hear that from the clips.

So, which of you prefer the Kanilea's over the KoAloha's...why?

Oh, I've also hear the KoAloha's are more consistent from one to another... do you guys find that to be true? I've been searching high and low and playing every uke I can get my hands on and they just don't seem up to my KoAloha standards :)

I have a few others in mind, but want to keep this threas focused on the joys of Kanilea's

Sorry I can't be real helpful David, but my thoughts on this is that these two instruments just feel different. A while back I was looking at both in tenor and the Kanilea was clearly an exceptional instrument, I just can't find the words to describe how one felt different from the other. Did they sound different to my novice ear, yes, very much so......was one more "musical" to me, I don't think so.

I guess I fall back on my standard, that you should get the instrument that makes your heart sing when you see it, hold it, and play it. I have an old Richter uke that I got on eBay for $26.00, and every time I play it I feel lucky to have it.....I can't explain why exactly. I'm interested to hear how others see the differences

Best,
Ryan

I don't have a KoAloha tenor, but I have played a few of them. Most of them were strung with low g strings. I found each of them to produce great tone and fantastic volume. I do actually have a Kanile'a tenor. To me, anyway, the KoAloha is far superior. I don't know if it is the process used by the Okamis, or the volume it produces, but sight and sound unseen, I would choose a KoAloha over a Kanile'a. To be totally honest with you, I only keep my Kanile'a at this point for sentimental reasons. I adore Joe and Kristen Souza, and it was my first "real" ukulele. But it just can't compete tonally with my KoAloha or Kamaka.

Now that being said, that is just my personal opinion, as Kanile'as are wonderful instruments. They sound very nice, they do use TRU bracing, and I think they have some of the most visually stunning ukuleles out there. KoAlohas tend to be very utilitarian (barring the Masterpiece collection Pineapple Sunday, Sceptre and Jukulele -- all of which have "out there" designs). But the basic average KoAloha tenor usually seems to have plainer koa, less "bling," and I, for one, don't care for the bowtie bridge style. But if you can find an old crown bridge style, ooh boy, grab it.

One other note, I absolutely hate bridge pins. And Kanile'as come with bridge pins...

Either way though you can't go wrong. I think it is like the difference between a Mercedes and a BMW, or Heidi Klum vs. Halle Berry...or Harvard vs. Yale. My point being, they are both exceptional, it just depends on your personal taste. But my recommendation would be the KoAloha.

Last edited:
Either way though you can't go wrong. I think it is like the difference between a Mercedes and a BMW, or Heidi Klum vs. Halle Berry...or Harvard vs. Yale. My point being, they are both exceptional, it just depends on what your personal taste. But my recommendation would be the KoAloha.

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mary Ann

Okay, so you get to the hand built level and here are my opinions. I have tried all three of the top K brands and I own a Kamaka tenor.

When something is being handmade there is a lot of room for human error, but there is also room for something remarkable. Maybe lots of little things go wrong with one 'ukulele (maybe the guy gluing is having a bad day even - bad juju) and it doesn't sound so good. Maybe lots of little things go perfectly right with one 'ukulele (maybe now the sanding guy got married) and it is the most beautiful thing on the planet. Maybe some things go right and some things go wrong (or maybe the binding guy is just cruzin') and you get an in-between instrument. At this level even a "junk" 'ukulele will sound better than most lower level instruments. But the ones that sing, sing. You can't compare one handmade brand to another due to the variables. What you can do is find an instrument that sings.

My Kamaka sang to me. Out of all the brands and models I tried and even out of the 5-6 Kamaka tenors I tried, I knew from the first chord on that instrument it was the one. They talk about the "ghost in the machine". I think there is spirit in the wood.

I have a soprano & concert KoAloha . Last month I played a soprano and concert Kanile'a ( www.bernunzio.com). Wouldn't say the Kanile'a sound is more musical than the KoAloha but definitely different. Of course, as Hippie Guy stated there are individual differences even within the same brand. It's nice to be able to choose from several.

I have a Kanilea deluxe tenor and a KoAloha crown bridge tenor. Both strung high G. I strung them up with the exact same strings so I could compare the two once and for all. So basically comparing apples to apples. Although I paid $200 more for the Kanilea, and the Kanilea is a curly Koa, (it's the one in my avatar pic), I have to admit, the KoAloha has a more dynamic, bright sound. It also plays a lot easier. I don't know why. Perhaps the fret board is narrower. The Kanilea has a more boxy, booming sound, where as the KoAloha has a more wavery bright sound. I know that probably doesn't make any sense. Visually, I love my Kanilea, and I play the heck out of it trying to fall in love with it, even lowering the action, but deep down, I know the KoAloha has a nicer sound. But with that being said, I still love my Kanilea. And when I check ebay and the market place, I am always looking for a Kanilea. They are awesome to look at. But sound wise, if I am honest, my KoAloha sounds a little better. My Kanilea has a lot more sentimental value to me which is why I am trying to love it. I have played both ukes a lot.

I have a KoAloha super concert, it was my goto ukulele for a long time. Last year I purchased a DaSilva, obviously with what it costs it is my goto ukulele.
I keep my KoAloha in low "g". Whenever I play it I am amazed at just how good it sounds. I have found KoAlohas to be very consistant and have played many different sizes.
I too prefer the crown bridge, I would not hesitate to buy a KoAloha.

It does always come down to the same thing though; Which do you prefer the sound, feel and look of?

I had the opportunity to test them both and made an easy decision on picking the KoAloha. My wife was there and she had the same reaction when I played them for her. I had no preconceived notion of either when I tested them, knowing that they were both high-quality ukes. The KoAloha sang and the Kanilea didn't. To be honest, it seemed like an unfair fight between those two particular instruments (which might change if I had the chance to compare two others). I will say that I was suffering from UAS at the time and considering a custom Mya-Moe order and after playing the KoAloha, I felt satisfied in my purchase of it. It's been a couple months now and I am looking at custom ukes once again, but I pick up the KoAloha and realize I don't need a custom.

I had the opportunity to test them both and made an easy decision on picking the KoAloha. My wife was there and she had the same reaction when I played them for her. I had no preconceived notion of either when I tested them, knowing that they were both high-quality ukes. The KoAloha sang and the Kanilea didn't. To be honest, it seemed like an unfair fight between those two particular instruments (which might change if I had the chance to compare two others). I will say that I was suffering from UAS at the time and considering a custom Mya-Moe order and after playing the KoAloha, I felt satisfied in my purchase of it. It's been a couple months now and I am looking at custom ukes once again, but I pick up the KoAloha and realize I don't need a custom.

I know what you are saying, but need and want are not related when talking ukulele. Get something different in a custom, I LOVE MY Mya-Moe Tenor Resonator

I know what you are saying, but need and want are not related when talking ukulele. Get something different in a custom, I LOVE MY Mya-Moe Tenor Resonator
Don't tempt me, SU! I am thinking resonator, tho. I plan to head to mccabes in Santa Monica to see a couple national resonators they have, since I haven't played one yet.

I got to see two Mya-Moes in person and the workmanship is stunning. I am finding that I am a more off the shelf kind of guy. All the customs options make me a bit nuts. I'm looking for a darker wood KoAloha, but Compass Rose is also on my mind.

I don't understand what makes an instrument more or less "musical" than another. Is the Kanile'a supposed to sound like a uke while the KoAloha is supposed to sound closer to a jackhammer? D: Buying something based on which adjectives are used to describe its sound is no substitute for hearing both and forming your own opinion.

I am a pue Kanile'a player, I cannot stand the fingerboards on the KoAloha. Now the KoAloha does have a more traditional sound the Kanile'a definitively a more modern tone. Apple's and oranges in that regard. I will say the bracing pattern on the KoAloha I think makes them all sound exactly alike due to its simplicity.

You can't ignore the factor of the specific piece of koa chosen for the instrument. There is no doubt that within the koa family, some koas will sound better than others, depending upon stiffness, density, grain pattern and yes, even color.

You can't ignore the factor of the specific piece of koa chosen for the instrument. There is no doubt that within the koa family, some koas will sound better than others, depending upon stiffness, density, grain pattern and yes, even color.

Color Really?
How does darker sound compared to ligher?

I love my satin finish Kanile'a tenor!

Top Bottom