Affordable Electric Tenor Uke on eBay - Too good to be true? Help!

I've heard very bad things about that ukulele. It is one to avoid.

And even if it was a decent instrument at that price, at $85 shipping, you'd think they're making the money somehow LOL

I've seen this use and it's probably okay. It was being played at the Dominion Pub last week at the Corktown Ukulele Jam. Sounded fine, and you can read a few comments on it at the discussion board at torontoukes.com. Since it's a solid body (what little of the body there actually is...) it suffers from none of the issues that have been reported for his hollow-body instruments.

Thanks for the info.. Seems on that board the people seem to like it (for the price).. I might have to try it out

I've been eyeing this for awhile. The builder generally gets terrible reviews for his acoustic instruments but, as this is solid, the problems people are having might not come into play. Doing a little investigating, I found someone on Ukulelenclub that has one and reviewed it. Problem is it's in German. I used an online translation site and this is what it came up with...

Features:
The Ukulele is with a matching, well padded bag and a headset. The Ukulele has an integrated active pickup with the Volume and Tone Control, a Headphone amp with 3,5mm Klinkenausgang and a normal Klinkenausgang (6,3mm) for instrument, To connect to an amplifier. The Ukulele has 20(!) Frets, Bundmarkierungen and translated, that the apparently sealed mechanisms of an electric guitar could come. By default, 2 Gurtknöpfe mounted, where the Tonabnehmerbuchse of a button, the other is located on the back of the Ukulele.

Finish:
There, where the continuous neck in this "getigerte" wood overrides, itr something sloppy painted, the "bright" varnish is ca. 1mm far into the Seitenteil. But this is obviously only an optical flaw. Also, where the "Maple" in the framework overrides, is the transition rather a sinusoidal curve than really straight. Otherwise appears everything consistent, no spots or scratches in the lacquer. The fingerboard is clean aufgeleimt and abgerichtet, also in the Frets there is no sharp edges. Where the saddle, it is aufgeleimt Klebstoffreste. For a China-Uke but clean and nothing that the playability limits.

Playability:
The Ukulele can be easily votes and the Saitenlage is very good. The focus of the Ukulele is approx. when 14. Federal, thus in the area of the Gurtknopfes. It is not playing Kopflastigkeit felt. The Bunddraht is relatively thick, whether you like it or not is matter of taste. Cares not me. The Ukulele can also sit in playing well.

Sound:
You can get the Ukulele purely auditory course play. Then it is certainly very quietly, but quite audible. But if you alone, serves the practice wants.

Electronics:
As I have the next supplied headphones connected. He had to have a weng and works Wackelkontakt do not otherwise so incredibly high quality. The phones the Sound is good, you can with the active eq both brilliant Sounds right for solo, And relatively rich, earthy tones for Strumming. Of course you can hear out that a Piezotonabnehmer in the game, but that does not avoid.
On the amplifier makes the Instrument also a good idea it would be useful for solo accompaniment and Sounds. I was not possible despite heavy efforts to create a feedback. Of course sounds a with high-grade microphone abgenommene acoustic-Ukulele "better" but as you can not move and has a permanent risk of feedback.
A certain degree background noise, but the Signal to noise distance is quite big and it does not interfere dramatically.
I once Spaßeshalber headphone output of Uke as the Line entrance to the zoom. This is obviously not optimally. But for einengewissen impression mags capable of application:
http://www.box.net/shared/9rrq47hfx1

Summary:
Grundsolides Instrument with a few small aesthetic errors. His money absolute value, for breast-feeding practice, in order not to disturb anyone, as well as problematic, as insensitive for feedback, übern amplifier for the stage usable. This bag serves who through headphones much seriously wants to play again, should be a weng was in a better investment.

I've heard very bad things about that ukulele. It is one to avoid.

And even if it was a decent instrument at that price, at $85 shipping, you'd think they're making the money somehow LOL

Wholesale for these mass produced Chinese ukuleles run from $45-$65 USD dependant on bulk order, so whoever is selling these are pocketing about 50% of listed eBay price.
Here is the wholesaler index for this uke: http://jishengchina.en.alibaba.com/product/209144246-50178803/Ukulele.html

If you wish to see more wholesale prices from Asia (including brands like Eleuke) visit the Alibaba global trade website:
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/ukulele.html

i could be wrong, but I was informed that this was made from Eleuke factory parts.

Eleuke parts are now decent, but as with any uke- if the thing aint glued together well, and accurately, it will end up being a dog regardless of the quality of the parts.

On the face of it, it should work - solid woods etc, but I wont take chances with this until I see some regular reviews showing me consistent quality control.

Heck, go with the alternative - get an eleuke - not such extravagant shapes, but shop around and you will get similar prices

I have one of these in soprano size. It is loads of fun and seems pretty solidly built. His acoustic instruments seem to have a lot of negative reviews due to delaminating, splitting, etc. These little guys are solid, everything works, the intonation on mine is fine, it looks good, sounds good, and cost me $10.40 plus the $80 bucks for shipping. What's not to like at that price?

i could be wrong, but I was informed that this was made from Eleuke factory parts.

Eleuke parts are now decent, but as with any uke- if the thing aint glued together well, and accurately, it will end up being a dog regardless of the quality of the parts.

On the face of it, it should work - solid woods etc, but I wont take chances with this until I see some regular reviews showing me consistent quality control.

Heck, go with the alternative - get an eleuke - not such extravagant shapes, but shop around and you will get similar prices

This looks like a design that Philip(manufacturer/creator of EleUke) did when he was working with the old (poor quality) factory. Philip decided not to produce these and it seems as though his design was copied/stolen/something. We had huge problems with the consistency of the ukes that came out of this factory. I'm really happy that Phillip switched to the new one! I don't know much more about these other than that. It would be very surprising if the electronics where true eleuke guts because Phillip has those locked down pretty well (he designed them himself).

Hope that helps!

I just did a quick search on Amazon and found a lot of solid body tenor electric ukes in the USD80-150 price range, and more acoustic/electrics in the USD100-200 price range. I'm not sure what makes this eBay one so attractive-- the style?

Top Bottom