Anybody know what kind of uke this is?

Never heard of the brand, but it is definitely styled after a Martin. How does it sound and how much do they want for it? It doesn't LOOK bad at all.

Never heard of the brand, but it is definitely styled after a Martin. How does it sound and how much do they want for it? It doesn't LOOK bad at all.

The man said it was handmade from a guy on the side of the road in front of his house in Kailua, Hawaii. He is asking for $50. He says it's solid wood, but he doesn't know, so I figured I posted this to see if anybody had any idea.

Shoot, even if it ISN'T solid wood it is worth $50, at least if it has reasonably good intonation. Have you gotten to play it? Does it have decent intonation and action? And remember, if it doesn't stay in tune, that could just be the strings still stretching, or the tuners needing tightened, and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I agree that it looks pretty good for $50. The story about it being made on the side of the road in front of some guy's house doesn't add up to me unless the builder has a lot of experience. It LOOKS pretty good, as Chris says. Have you played it?

Last edited:
Shoot, even if it ISN'T solid wood it is worth $50, at least if it has reasonably good intonation. Have you gotten to play it? Does it have decent intonation and action? And remember, if it doesn't stay in tune, that could just be the strings still stretching, or the tuners needing tightened, and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Well, it's actually used. I am buying it from eBay, so I have not tried it out.

I agree that it looks pretty good for $50. The story about it being made on the side of the road in front of some guy's house doesn't add up to me unless the builder has a lot of experience. It LOOKS pretty good, as Chris says. Have you played it?

I agree, it looks very nice! Again, I have not played it. Sadly, there are no close music stores that carry ukuleles in my area so it is hard to get a "hands on" look at them.

It sure looks like the CLASSIC from Empire Music. Check here:

http://www.empire-music.com/Catalogu...roductID=CL500

I had one and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a bargain, especially after putting on a set of Aquilas. I gave it to my niece when I purchased my Mainland.

Yes..I've tried to research the "brand" and Empire Music also came up. Is it any good? I'm currently purchasing my second uke, and I'd like a better quality in sound. (Ready to upgrade from the ol' reliable Kala)

Thanks for the help you guys! :)

Yes..I've tried to research the "brand" and Empire Music also came up. Is it any good? I'm currently purchasing my second uke, and I'd like a better quality in sound. (Ready to upgrade from the ol' reliable Kala)

Thanks for the help you guys! :)

If it is the CLASSIC from Empire Music, I don't think it will be any significant upgrade from your Kala. I'd say, save up some more bucks and make sure you get an upgrade, and if at all possible get a listen.

To me it doesn't look like the same uke as the one at Empire Music. It might be an older version, or different model, but the uke in question has more "classic" lines than then one at Empire, if that makes any sense. More "Martin-esque". I dunno... to me it looks like it would probably be worth $50 (if you can swing it, that is). But that's just me.

Top Bottom