Ukulele featured on Korean TV News

Aloha Alan,
Thanks for sharing, although I didn't understand what they were saying....did notice twinkle twinkle little star..
and also, what's up with our cable news as well local news stations...really sad !!! MM stan..

Nice.
Basically the gist of what they were saying:
-"Ukulele" means "jumping Flea". Hawaiian instrument, based on an older Portuguese instrument (and other historical stuff). Now it's famous in Japan, America, Europe and all around the world.
-It's distinct sound, works well in ensemble on the high end, has been used as a learning tool for music students, but can be played as a serious instrument on its own, great for hobby.
-There are different sizes, the "Alto" (which I believe is what we call Concert) is a bit bigger than the Soprano, has longer neck and can be used in concert.
-There exists other types such as Baritone and even a 6-string one called 'guitalele'.
-The techniques of a guitar can be used, but with 4 strings, you can do faster strokes and use the thumb a lot (then he demonstrates arpeggio, tremolo, roll strokes,)
-It allows for simpler, to-the-point arrangements of songs
-Compared to guitar, its smaller so easier to hold and is great for children
-The lady has only played for 7 months, and demonstrates what can be learned in that time
-They are part of an online Ukulele Club* (*-Koreans call internet clubs "Cafe"s. Korean internet culture). There are people of all ages from very young to 60 and older, with the majority being 20-40
-They sometimes do performances within the community. Not big scale concerts, but things like volunteer service, etc.
-At the end they demonstrate a small ensemble piece together (Koreans like to be very structured in how they progress in music with standard repertoires)
-In summary, the host says that it was great to hear this instrument, and that it makes people happy.

Last edited:
Aloha Kissing,
Many Thanks for the translation.....I didn't realize the young lady had only 7 months experience..thought she was pretty good...
Good to hear that the media supports ukulele playing there...and is accepted very well with the community.
So is the Net Cafes the in thing and the in hangouts with Korean teens there? I've heard that there's a couple ukulele
manufactures there too!! I am happy to hear that it accepted very well there and gaining in popularity thanks to the media..
I wonder when our local media's will catch on if ever...10 minuetes.....HMMM...MM Stan..

Because US news is biased and sensationalized. I LOVE Korean movies, and soap operas too (the only kind worth watching). ;)

As far as newscasts go, nothing beats Italian news which usually features the toned down Roberto Begnini nerdish male eclipsed by a young beautiful bombshell.

In America we get Katie Kouric...

Last edited:
Top Bottom