Anyone out there own a Compass Rose?

iDavid

Reaction score
Heard only good things, but never heard from actual owners.

Anyone got one out there?

How is the sound and the neck?

Compass Rose Ukuleles sound amazing. They have a deep rich tone, and great intonation. The floating fingerboard and use of unconventional tone woods really set them apart.

Jake Maclay
Hive Ukuleles
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is a "floating fingerboard" and how is it different from a conventional fingerboard? Thanks!

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is a "floating fingerboard" and how is it different from a conventional fingerboard? Thanks!
The Compass Rose fingerboard doesn't sit directly on the body of the uke, thus allowing it to resonate more freely.

Compass Rose is built by Rick Turner who is also a member here. The tone is very mellow and deep, has very good resonance and great playability.

Go to: You Tube .....musicguymic's channel#P/U/185/kokTSbuum9E
He demonstrates a compass rose sycamore tenor....

I had a mahogany one a few years ago and really liked it a lot, it sounded great. I have noticed though that their prices have almost doubled since I purchased mine, they are over 1K now.

I had a mahogany one a few years ago and really liked it a lot, it sounded great. I have noticed though that their prices have almost doubled since I purchased mine, they are over 1K now.

The basic Mahogany is still under a grand

Why did you get rid of yours?

As much as I liked it, it had a very guitar like sound.

As much as I liked it, it had a very guitar like sound.

That's not a flaw, that's a feature. Rick Turner designed it to have a guitar like sound to appeal to guitarists who transition to uke.

No that's not a bad thing but if I want that I can reach for a guitar and get more notes. Rick has a great story especially if you like the Dead or any other group that has an Almebic background, he was one of the founders of that company. Great uke, kinda wish I never got rid of it. One thing I always worried about was the fingerboard, it seemed to dip over time where the tip was almost toUching the sound board.

No that's not a bad thing but if I want that I can reach for a guitar and get more notes. Rick has a great story especially if you like the Dead or any other group that has an Almebic background, he was one of the founders of that company. Great uke, kinda wish I never got rid of it. One thing I always worried about was the fingerboard, it seemed to dip over time where the tip was almost toUching the sound board.

that is concerning

I've never owned or played a Compass Rose, but I have played several Rick Turner basses (just tried them out it stores), and they were great. He also made that weird-looking guitar that Lindsey Buckingham plays.

The Compass Rose's neck is reenforced with Carbon fiber, so it ain't bending no time soon. They are also covering the few that were made before they added the Carbon Fiber, so either way all is good. I am looking for a Uke with guitar-ish sound. Seems odd, but I really want a large or larger sounding ukulele. For a classic sound, I already have that covered.

I think this would be a good time to mention Barry Pearlman. Barry is Rick's business partner, and originally brought the idea of building ukuleles to Rick. They combined their ideas, and the Compass Rose Ukulele was born. If you want a uke with a guitarish tone....this uke fantastic.
iDavid, if your thinking about buying a Compass Rose, you should email Barry.....he is a great guy.

Jake Maclay
Hive Ukuleles
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Hi David! It seems that you're still in quest for your uke!!! hahahaah!!! Me too, I'm looking for a uke...just to see what's available right now. I'm a fan of guitar-ish sound uke too since I alreday own too mcuh traditional sound uke...

But Compass Rose seems to be nice ukes...

When I open for James Hill last week in Montreal, I had the chance to see his Dasilva custom, and it's a very nice uke also!!! You should consider Dasilva uke also....the sound is very crisp and I think if you set it in low G, it can sound very deep a la guitar...

Thanks

Top Bottom