Who has the largest collection of ukuleles in the world?

I think it's Ukisociety.

I can tell you that unless you have more than 1000 or so ukuleles you are not even close to having the collections of some collectors I know and who wish to remain private
Any initials? And do they play ukulele or just look at them? If they only look at them, for shame!

ukulele hoarding. even more devastating than UAS in my opinion. :p

Over a 1000 to even be in the ball park!! Wow, I suddenly feel much less guilt over owning 10!

I can tell you that unless you have more than 1000 or so ukuleles you are not even close to having the collections of some collectors I know and who wish to remain private

...it's ukulele insanity!!!!!! it's a shame, most all of them are not played....even worse hoarding and not giving us the oppertunity to own one...

Last edited:
Any initials? And do they play ukulele or just look at them? If they only look at them, for shame!

The initials are MGM... ;) Seriously...I betcha MGM has at least a thousand..

You shouldn't own 1000 ukuleles. I'm sorry. Freedom schmeedom. That's someone's work, sitting around, not being used in the way it was meant to be. Beautiful wood, hacked down for nothing. That's people who could happily be playing a ukulele, who don't have one.

That actually frustrates me. I don't think I frustrate very easily.

I've known of people who had a couple of hundred guitars (no one I know PERSONALLY, mind you!). I think you could probably own 100 and play each of them somewhat regularly. Beyond that, it would be kind of hard to actually play them with any frequency. You'd fall back to a few favorites most of the time. I have 13 (I think), but only 11 are actually playable. There are a few more things I would like to have... the Style 3 Martin my acquaintance here has but isn't sure he wants to sell, even though he doesn't play it.... I'd like a Style 1 Martin and possibly a Style 0 (but I can probably forget ever having a Style 5).... I really want a Mainland Mahogany soprano. And someday a Gibson. And a banjo-uke. And.... hmmm.... I could probably stop there. Maybe someday a "K" brand. But really I think I would rather have old ones. Oh! And a Makala Dolphin or 2!
So, I could be happy with anywhere between 15 and 50. But I have a collector mentality. That's why I have over 500 tobacco pipes and 8 bass guitars! Not to mention books, watches, and a few nice water color paintings by a guitarist friend who is a well-respected artist around Colorado. But, obviously, no children!

Collectors are really just caretakers. If it were not for collectors alot of these great vintage ukes would not be here today. Eventually these collectors will pass away and there will be some great ukulele auctions and you will be able to buy a vintage uke that might not be here today if it were not for the guys with thousands of ukes in their collections.

Collectors are really just caretakers. If it were not for collectors alot of these great vintage ukes would not be here today. Eventually these collectors will pass away and there will be some great ukulele auctions and you will be able to buy a vintage uke that might not be here today if it were not for the guys with thousands of ukes in their collections.

That is an excellent point. Many great old ukes ended up in rubbish heaps. Many more WOULD if there weren't collectors.

What gets me is when I see used ukes on ebay that say, only been played twice, sat in the case, still has tags on it. Why buy it? Play the thing. When you buy a new car, you drive it right? I can understand a antique uke, but some are new models and customs and the guys never play them. If I am dropping that kind of cash, I am playing it night and day. My two cents. I feel for some of the guys that have dropped their ukes, someone recently cracked their KoAloha on here, but props to him, at least he had it out of the case and was jamming on it. Ukes don't make music sitting in a case.

What gets me is when I see used ukes on ebay that say, only been played twice, sat in the case, still has tags on it. Why buy it? Play the thing. When you buy a new car, you drive it right? I can understand a antique uke, but some are new models and customs and the guys never play them. If I am dropping that kind of cash, I am playing it night and day. My two cents. I feel for some of the guys that have dropped their ukes, someone recently cracked their KoAloha on here, but props to him, at least he had it out of the case and was jamming on it. Ukes don't make music sitting in a case.

This gets towards the thread about taking your uke to the beach, or into a cage match. Hell, yeah!

Goodness, knowing that some collectors have upwards of 1000 makes me not feel so bad to think I might need a new one for my birthday next month. We only have 7 at our house...

I know Ukulele Ray has quite the collection of vintage and many one of a kinds. He had a uke museum in San Francisco some time back and hopes to get it going again. He even has Buffalo Bob's personal baritone uke.

Top Bottom