East vs west!

Flinkaroo

Reaction score
Okay so I'm finally state side fo the first time and I'm workin around cape cod when I realize, there are a few ukulele players, decent ones at that!! I just curious as to how much bigger is the ukulele on the west? And is it mainly cus of Hawaii!?

I'm not sure if it's all that different from coast to coast. I'm in the Los Angeles area, and while there are plenty of players and clubs here, I've gotten the impression that there is a more active ukulele community in New York City. No scientific proof of course, but they have the monthly Ukulele Salon and we've got nothing of the kind (that I know of anyway - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!).

A couple of years ago we took the kids to Cancun for New Years. I sat on the beach strumming away and had a bunch of people asking what it was I was playing. Seems that people on the Atlantic side don't see many ukuleles. Makes sense. Folks from there go to Cancun, Europe, Miami, etc for vacation. Out here, we head to Las Vegas or Hawaii so we get some more uke exposure than the right coasters.

Top Bottom