PDA

View Full Version : Pore filling with vinyl sealer?

mwaller
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Does Behlen's vinyl sealer contain enough solids to actually fill pores in mahogany? If so, how many coats from an aerosol can should I expect to spray in order to fully fill the grain? I assume I would sand between each coat down to bare wood... correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!
Mika

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
The Behlen's vinyl sealers really has no more solids than the lacquer does. It's not meant to be a pore filler. I believe it has a 15% to 20% solids content. Lacquer makes a poor grain filler anyway as it continues to shrink for a long time. There are better choices. Vinyl sealer is applied only to ensure that the lacquer adheres well to the wood. It is not a sanding sealer.
Sanding down to the bare wood each time you sand a pore filler coat only opens up new pores. You need to stop sanding just short of that.
The usual regime is:
Vinyl sealer--1 coat
Pore filler--2 to 3 coats
vinyl sealer--1 or more coats
Lacquer--as few as you can get away with for the type of finish you're trying to achieve.
Good luck.

mwaller
08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
The Behlen's vinyl sealers really has no more solids than the lacquer does. It's not meant to be a pore filler. I believe it has a 15% to 20% solids content. Lacquer makes a poor grain filler anyway as it continues to shrink for a long time. There are better choices. Vinyl sealer is applied only to ensure that the lacquer adheres well to the wood. It is not a sanding sealer.
Sanding down to the bare wood each time you sand a pore filler coat only opens up new pores. You need to stop sanding just short of that.
The usual regime is:
Vinyl sealer--1 coat
Pore filler--2 to 3 coats
vinyl sealer--1 or more coats
Lacquer--as few as you can get away with for the type of finish you're trying to achieve.
Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed response, Chuck!
Would Behlens Pore-O-Pac be a reasonable choice for pore filling in conjunction with vinyl sealer and lacquer from the same manufacturer?
Thanks, Mika

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
It's always best to use compatible finish and sealer from the same manufacturer but I'm not sure it matters when it comes to pore fillers. With a couple of exceptions (epoxy & ca) almost all pore fillers will shrink back in time. Pore-O-Pac is one filler I haven't tried but I think it's acrylic based. I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't expect perfection