Pore filling with vinyl sealer?

mwaller

Reaction score
Does Behlen's vinyl sealer contain enough solids to actually fill pores in mahogany? If so, how many coats from an aerosol can should I expect to spray in order to fully fill the grain? I assume I would sand between each coat down to bare wood... correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!
Mika

The Behlen's vinyl sealers really has no more solids than the lacquer does. It's not meant to be a pore filler. I believe it has a 15% to 20% solids content. Lacquer makes a poor grain filler anyway as it continues to shrink for a long time. There are better choices. Vinyl sealer is applied only to ensure that the lacquer adheres well to the wood. It is not a sanding sealer.
Sanding down to the bare wood each time you sand a pore filler coat only opens up new pores. You need to stop sanding just short of that.
The usual regime is:
Vinyl sealer--1 coat
Pore filler--2 to 3 coats
vinyl sealer--1 or more coats
Lacquer--as few as you can get away with for the type of finish you're trying to achieve.
Good luck.

The Behlen's vinyl sealers really has no more solids than the lacquer does. It's not meant to be a pore filler. I believe it has a 15% to 20% solids content. Lacquer makes a poor grain filler anyway as it continues to shrink for a long time. There are better choices. Vinyl sealer is applied only to ensure that the lacquer adheres well to the wood. It is not a sanding sealer.
Sanding down to the bare wood each time you sand a pore filler coat only opens up new pores. You need to stop sanding just short of that.
The usual regime is:
Vinyl sealer--1 coat
Pore filler--2 to 3 coats
vinyl sealer--1 or more coats
Lacquer--as few as you can get away with for the type of finish you're trying to achieve.
Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed response, Chuck!
Would Behlens Pore-O-Pac be a reasonable choice for pore filling in conjunction with vinyl sealer and lacquer from the same manufacturer?
Thanks, Mika

It's always best to use compatible finish and sealer from the same manufacturer but I'm not sure it matters when it comes to pore fillers. With a couple of exceptions (epoxy & ca) almost all pore fillers will shrink back in time. Pore-O-Pac is one filler I haven't tried but I think it's acrylic based. I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't expect perfection

Top Bottom