1920s Kahola with a few cracks - is this a good deal?

I'm kind of impulsive, and so you shouldn't listen to ME, but if it was me, and I had the money and lived in the area and thought my wife wouldn't kill me, I probably would. I don't know a lot about Vintage mainland-made ukuleles (other than Martin and a few others), but $120 doesn't seem like a BAD price. Try asking if he'll take $100, maybe.

If I saw that around where I live I would go have a look!

I am concerned about the "high action" and what that really looks like. I would just want to check that the neck is straight and that the heel is firmly attached. I once got a uke that looked great without strings but when I strung it the heal lifted, causing high action. I re-glued and it was solved.

Maybe he just has a super low action on his other uke and this one is normal....let us know what you decide!

I think 120 is just about right. Not a great deal but not too much. Depends on your expectations. Old ukes like that are light and responsive with tons of bark but the small fretboard demands precise and clean fretting. I find after playing easy fretboards with low action that when I switch to a small vintage soprano my play is a little sloppy. It would take some time in the woodshed to get clean on it. I'd say that uke is a little later that the 20's judging by the neck to body. If your looking for that vintage sound It's a good uke for it!

Actually the blue chipboard case caught my eye......If it was in the neighborhood, I'd check it's condition and how it sounds and go from
there. If there are small issues but sounds good, it leaves room for negociating.....MM Stan....
Seems in the picture as the fretboard in the picture is level with the sounboard or the there is no fretboard and the frets are on the
neck....jus can't tell with the picture...HMMM....

Last edited:
Actually the blue chipboard case caught my eye......If it was in the neighborhood, I'd check it's condition and how it sounds and go from
there. If there are small issues but sounds good, it leaves room for negociating.....MM Stan....
Seems in the picture as the fretboard in the picture is level with the sounboard or the there is no fretboard and the frets are on the
neck....jus can't tell with the picture...HMMM....

I have an old soprano from the '20s that has that same kind of thing where the frets just end at the body/neck joint like that. It isn't a problem.
BTW, I kind of got the impression from the ad that the seller is a uke guy.

Top Bottom