Ok, justify yourself

clayton56

Reaction score
After reading the thread about 1000-uke collections I noticed some of the comments reflected the constant struggle to explain (to laymen) why you have more than one uke. So, ok, here is the chance to explain why you have what you have.

I'll go first - for me it's about finding the right sound, one that defines what I want to do musically. This is impossible to do in a store or looking at a catalog. You have to play it for a while, say, anywhere from a day to a year, to know how you feel about it. This is complicated by the fact that finding the right strings is important for a uke. So I've bought quite a few for long-term evaluation.

Once I narrow down my favorite uke, I plan to sell the others and invest in a higher grade version in my favorite wood. Eventually I will end up with about 3-4 ukes.

I do this with other instruments, banjos, clarinets, and other stuff too. At one time I had about 6 banjos, now I have two. At one time I had more than a dozen soprano clarinets, now I have 3. The proceeds from selling those have gone into my current uke collection.

You need more than one ukulele so that your guests have something to play too.

JJ

I just like having a bunch of them. They're fun.
Ditto. But don't have a "bunch" yet. Still working on it.
And... they look nice. Another nice thing about getting a new uke is it encourages you to continue to play. I buy new books for the same reason. New things are exciting and buying new books and ukes makes you want to play with them.

I only wear one pair of shoes at a time, but still have many pairs.
Most women I know who wonder about my uke collection have many more shoes in their closet than I have ukuleles & guitars.
I am a player, but I am a collector as well. I work hard to support my hobbies, so I don't need to justify my collection to anyone.
The little buggers are just so cute how can you not collect them. Guitars & ukuleles are works of art as much as they are an instrument.

I play my different Ukuleles to suit different styles of music.
I'm more likely to pick up my tenor when I'm trying stuff out or playing music to accompany my voice, but I'll always reach for my soprano when I just want to have a bit of fun! ("aint she sweet" just doesn't sound the same on a tenor!)

I only have 4 uke, but also a few guitars and banjos.

But, as far as the ukes. I have a banjole, of course that goes without saying, a sound all it's own and allot of fun for specific songs on it. The other 3 aren't much diffrent, but it's fun to have people stop by and they hear me play. I can toss them one, and teach them a song on it in just a short time. People really like that and it is much more enjoyable to them to be interactive and contribute rather than jsut sit around and listen to someone play. It's a much funner and memorable experience for them.

The little buggers are just so cute how can you not collect them. Guitars & ukuleles are works of art as much as they are an instrument.
I have to agree, even though I don't play particularly well and don't own any really nice ukes I enjoy all the ones I have. Several of them are older than I am (well past the half century mark) and I hate to think of them just rotting away not being played.

my wife actually asked me this same question when i told her i was buying my 8-string. for me it's all about the timbre. each size has a different timbre and each uke even in each size has a different tone. some songs, i want to play the tenor, some i want to play tenor, and some i want the full 8-string sound. i know before i'm done, i'll own a couple tenors, a couple concerts, several sopranos, and one baritone.

on an interesting side-note, my wife said i'm lucky she's not like that with pianos. if so, we'd be in all sorts of financial trouble.

Tell her to go ahead if she can fit a dozen pianos in the closet.. ;)

I like to have the option, when playing songs or styles of playing. Every uke is as indivdual as you and me in sound, playability, feel etc..
It's always nice to have that option if it's affordable for you, otherwise you gotta make do with what you have...Everyone has
their all around favorite ukulele, after going through many....and many collect dust too...

When I attain my 100th pineapple 'ukulele I will gain superhuman powers! Everything I touch will turn into a pineapple Bwahaha! :mad:

Asking a musician why they need so many instruments is kinda like asking a painter why they need so many colors...

I have 3. I can only justify 2. One is a Makala soprano that hangs as art in my den...I can grab it to play anytime I want as well. I have 2 tenors; 'uke is my primary instrument in my band and I like to have a backup in case the unexpected happens. I love them all dearly though.

I just like having a bunch of them. They're fun.

Same for me. They're small, so they don't take up much room. And, as far as instruments go, they're relatively inexpensive (even the vintage ones really, when you compare them to guitars). Plus, I just like collecting things that I like.

As a noob, I've just 2 'ukes, but I feel they're well justified. My Risa stick is for privacy. Using an amPlug, I can practice "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" or "Go tell Aunt Rhoadie" all day w/o driving my wife nuts. :p When I feel ready for prime time, I get out my Ohana acoustic concert 'uke and let 'er rip.

..I'm already lusting for a Koaloha pikake soprano, however.

jeff

Another one new to the ukulele, I recently got #2, the baritone. Reasoning: a) what if something happens to my Kala? Being with no uke would be no good. b) looking for a different sound, just for variety. c) you never know when someone else might want to learn/play. So right now, UAS is in remission, although I have latent desires for a Mainland, and a Fluke...

As far as 1000 ukes in a collection, no law against it yet, so that's just up to the individual what they wish to do with their stuff. Stuff comes and stuff goes, I sold some old vinyl records I've been toting around for decades to fund my interest in ukuleles. No regrets, obviously. I'm another who has to curb my enthusiasm when discussing ukes with "unenlightened" regular people.
Cheers!

"Because I want them" is all the justification I need and all the justification I'm willing to give. To anybody but my wife. Hi honey!

I have four (currently) and can easily justify owning them all.As has already been
said on this thread,different ukuleles 'work better' on certain songs/tunes! My
'cheapie' Makala Soprano is a general work horse that I can use for almost any
style of song that I can play; my Mahalo Tenor likewise,but I favour it for playing
Beatles songs.My Lanikai 8 string works wondefully as a variant on ballads and for
a bit of picking/strumming mixed;and my home made ukulele banjo is great for
old time songs!

Top Bottom