PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using Strings??

Keoni29
08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm an ukulele newb and recently bought my first ukulele set up in low g tuning (all my uke friends suggested I have it set up that way). After playing/practicing with the set up, its not the right sound I was looking for. Seems as though low-g tuning is more for advanced/pick style playing, whereas I am a newbie learning how to strum still. My question is, are strings a one-time set up deal? Or since these are practically brand new, could I save them as back-ups and reuse them whenever I want to go to low g? I know strings are only $6 but since these are essentially new, I hate to see them go to waste. Thanks.

SailingUke
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I can relate, I hate to waste a set of strings as well. I have taken off strings while they were still good and re-used them at a later date.
If you are only going from low G to high G, you only need to change the one string. I would keep the low G to try at a later time.
If it is a would string and shows any wear of the winding separating then I would toss it.

haole
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I re-use strings all the time. If they're still in good condition, I save them as spares whenever I restring. On the offchance I break a string, there are always extras in my case.

mm stan
08-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I reuse strings too, if I try new strings on a particular uke and it doesn't sound good, I save save them until I may need
them another ukulele and most times they work well. What may sound bad on one uke may not for another....
Why waste and throw them away, you can save money and who knows if you may need one in an emergency if
you break a string....MM Stan....

hoosierhiver
08-04-2010, 05:11 AM
The low G should be re-useable.
Occasionally strings will stretch out unevenly and when taken off they aren't ever quite the same. Kind of like when you overstretch a rubber band and it looses it's integrity.

bryanperk
08-04-2010, 05:51 AM
The low G should be re-useable.
Occasionally strings will stretch out unevenly and when taken off they aren't ever quite the same. Kind of like when you overstretch a rubber band and it looses it's integrity.

Agreed, but usually from what I've seen, you'll be able to reuse strings if they're not on the uke for long enough for the strings to finish stretching out from the tension they're under. Once they're stretched out, and you try putting them onto another ukulele, then more times than not, the strings will either try to stretch more, and wear unevenly, or will, like Mike said, stretch unevenly causing them to never be the same.