Help with a new concert

bryanperk

Reaction score
As I'm nearing completion on my first build from scratch, I've been thinking about what to do for my second. The first build was a Kasha braced solid koa tenor with a mahogany neck and binding, and ebony bridge and fretboard. I already have a soprano and another Mainland tenor to play now, so I think making another tenor would be a waste of time. This makes me feel like I should build a concert size, and I want to use myrtle and for the back and sides, mainly because of its beautiful look and, possibly more importantly, the recommendation to use the wood in an earlier thread by Pete Howlett saying how easily myrtle bends.
Now to the point of the thread...
Does anyone have good dimensions for a concert sized uke body that they are willing to share?

Excellent choice in size!
Hana Lima sells plans for kasha braced and fan braced concerts. There's a plan for a Martin concert size on Elderly Instruments. I've used both and been pretty happy with the results. (fan braced anyway). Myrtle sounds like a good choice to me....seems to get rave reviews.
Concert Ukes ROCK!!

Thanks ksquine! I feel like expanding my own quiver as practice before I start even thinking about selling these things even in small scale. But I was really trying to avoid buying plans and just kinda go at it myself and design something freehand. The problem I have is i'm not sure what a good body size would be for a concert, for example width of the bouts, width of sides, angle of taper on the back, and so on. I guess I'm gonna have to go out and buy more plans now unless anyone feels like giving me some advice on these things instead haha :p

If you have both a soprano and tenor, then the concert is going to fall in between. Drawing up you own body design is easy and quite a bit of fun. Just draw out your scale length. Pencil in where your neck/body join will be as well as the bridge. Then the body shape can be anything you like the look of.

For body depth, for non tapered bodies 63-65 mm total including back and top. For tapered 70mm at end block 55mm at heel.

I can give you the measurements for our brueko custom concert (it's similar to this uke). I'll update this post when I get a chance......

If you would like to do your own body design, you might want to check out the G Thang tool by Liutaio Mottola.

Top Bottom