How do you get people to view your videos/music?

mecham

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster here. I've been playing the uke for a little while now, and I've decided to start posting some videos on youtube and my website (http://jaredmecham.com) so people can hear what I have to offer.

My question is, how do you get people to view your content? Do you guys do anything special to attract an audience?

Today, I posted a poll on my website asking which song I should record a video of first. I ask, as a big fan of the site, for you guys to go to http://jaredmecham.com check out the poll and pick a song that you guys think I should record first. Or make a suggestion as to what song you guys would like to hear me play first.

(note: if you go to the site, don't pay too much attention to the picture with the guitar, I don't have a good pic of me with a Ukulele =). )

Thanks!

Mecham.

Last edited:
Its a viral kind of thing. If a few people like what you are doing, they tend to spread the word or favor your vidoes, and they come back. I generally look at content that people whose work I like or respect flag as a favorite. I follow that through YTs subscriptions of those I respect as good judges of music.

You post a song on youtube, which represents a larger community than a personal website, someone watch it ... and spread the word. The rest comes with time ... and maybe you post a link in your favorite forum e.g., lets say, a bit advertisement. I guess that's it at first. Then time and patience ;)

You can always post it in the Videos section here too!

One other thing is that its a good idea to put good titles keywords on your YourTube video when you post it. A lot of people don't do that, and it makes their stuff harder to find. I often do searches when I am wanting to listen to a certain song, type of uke, brand etc. For example, if I have recorded a song called Blue Skies on an Ohana SK-35 with a bass guitar in the background, I would probably use the key words: ukulele, Blue Skies, Ohana, SK-35, and bass.

You should post your video on youtube and then definitely post it in the video thread on this forum. I get the majority of my views from the loveley people at this forum. If you have a facebook, post it there so your friends can see. And when you post it on youtube, make sure you give it plently of tags like the song title, artist, your instrument, etc.

Also, the ukulele community is pretty tight, so if you hang around here, or on ukulele channels on youtube you'll make some friends that will help you get the word out for your stuff.

Pretty girl + activity = youtube hits. It's the hard, sad truth lol

Become a part of the community you're trying to reach. Seek out others who do stuff similar to your stuff. Become friends with them. Leave friendly comments on their channels and videos. Don't spam your vids on their channels. Become facebook friends with them. Post your videos as video responses to theirs.

Engage your audience. Respond to all your comments. Thank the users who subscribe to you with a comment on their channels. Watch their videos if they have any and leave comments.

Do as many collab vids as you can.

Use annotations on your videos. Direct your audience to your next video. Ask them to sub.

Guys, all this advice is great and I really appreciate it. I come to this site almost every day, but have never really posted anything until now. I guess I need to start doing that and become part of the ukulele community here.

I notice there are some ukulele songs that have hundreds of thousands of hits, but some songs that are even better are still breaking 1000, any idea why that might be?

I am going to start posting some videos, but I need your help to decide which song I should record first. Go to http://jaredmecham.com/ and vote in the poll to help me decide which song I should record first. It would be such a huge help for me! Once I record it, I will definitely post it in the videos section here too.

direct link to post:
http://bit.ly/8ZprRi

I notice there are some ukulele songs that have hundreds of thousands of hits, but some songs that are even better are still breaking 1000, any idea why that might be?

See my above post. Generally, the people who receive a lot of hits have done or are doing the things I outlined above.

Some of the people who receive a lot of hits don't do the above. They are the exception. Perhaps they were featured on the front page, back when editors had say in who was featured on the front page a couple of years ago. Whatever the case, their videos just went viral for some reason. It's not something you can put a finger on.

In the edit video settings, you'll find a box marked 'tabs'. Adding more tabs will bring in more viewers. Use anything connected with the song, or theme you are performing. Some people use fake tabs, but this leads to nasty comments!! People don't seem to be impressed when they're looking for naughty Brittney videos and get some uke action instead!!!!

Thats easy. Just lable it as "p***" and tell them they should not watch that.. Works every time.. ;)

Top Bottom