WIN a Mainland Tenor - Or a Blue "Snowball" Mic

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

With the sponsorship of Mainland Ukes (http://mainlandukes.com) I am very proud to announce the first Bring the Song contest.

"bringthesong.org, Original Song Video Contest - Thanks Mainland Ukes!"

First Prize:
A brand new Mainland Mango Tenor ukulele (matte finish, gold tuners)
To be awarded to the winning song/video by the registered members of bringthesong.org.

Second Prize:
A Blue "Snowball" USB microphone
To be awarded by a random selection from all the entries.

Rules:

Entries must be in the form of a video, posted to a publicly available video streaming site (youtube, vimeo, etc...).
The song must be a previously unpublished work - preferably written for this contest.
All content must be your original work. Covers, and derivative won't cut it.
In the beginning of each entry, you must clearly state (audio or text is fine) "This is my entry into the 2010 "BringtheSong.org Original Song Video Contest - Thanks Mainland Ukes!"
Each member can submit up to 3 entries
All videos must be submitted to this thread by midnight PST on Halloween, October 31, 2010.

Winner Selection:
Second Prize will be drawn live during the award ceremony for the announcement of the Grande Prize winner. Any valid entry will be eligible for second prize and the selection will be random - anyone can win.

Grand Prize nominations will begin on Nov 1st 2010 and will be open to all members at bringthesong.org. Each member will be asked to nominate a favorite song for the final voting.

Final voting will also be open to all members of bringthesong.org and any entry that receives at least one nomination will be in the running for the grande prize vote.

F.A.Q

Q: Does it have to be a ukulele song?
A: No! Many of us early members of BtS are uke players, and the contest is sponsored by Mainland ukuleles,, but this is an original song contest - songs can use any instrumentation, or none at all - nothing is off limits and uke songs will not have any particular advantage.

Q: Can it be an instrumental song?
A: Absolutely - instrumental, a cappella, pots and pans, industrial machines, whatever you like. As long as it's your original work, send it in!

Q: Can it be a collaboration or a band entry?
A: Yes! Be aware though - we only have one of each of the prizes. That means in the event you and your collaborators win something, you'll have to work out who gets the prize. We're just a little not-for-profit collective, so for now, it's one prize only.

Q: Do I have to be in the video?
A: Nope - the submission must be in the form of a video, but the visual content is entirely up to you. It can be a simple black screen if you wish. Be aware that winners of the grande prize will be chosen by popular vote, so a catchy video can really help, but it's not required.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting this contest. Sounds like it will be fun. But I'm wondering about how the popular vote would work. How would the final tally be measured/counted?

We'll have a nomination period (assuming the field needs to be cut down) after entries close, and then use a secure survey site to vote for our favorite. All BtS members will be eligible to vote. In the unlikely event of a tie, I'll cast the deciding vote. Simple.

Great prize!!! I am sure you will not mind keeping it company until someone wins it! I was just wondering about the new and unpublished song thing, I have a couple of songs that I posted videos of but they were not really done all the way. Would a completed version of one or both of these songs be allowed or should it be something never heard by human ears? Just wondering, I have some new stuff to finish too so no big deal if I can not use finished versions of posted stuff.

It was the mention of pots and pans, industrial machines that inspired me to chuck in
a ticking clock, some thunder rolls, falling rain, and the leafy tops of birches swirling in
wild ecstasy... cos I like John Muir and Joel 2:28

Great prize!!! I am sure you will not mind keeping it company until someone wins it! I was just wondering about the new and unpublished song thing, I have a couple of songs that I posted videos of but they were not really done all the way. Would a completed version of one or both of these songs be allowed or should it be something never heard by human ears? Just wondering, I have some new stuff to finish too so no big deal if I can not use finished versions of posted stuff.
Well, the idea is to write new songs, but I think new versions qualify.

It was the mention of pots and pans, industrial machines that inspired me to chuck in
a ticking clock, some thunder rolls, falling rain, and the leafy tops of birches swirling in
wild ecstasy... cos I like John Muir and Joel 2:28

Awesome! Don't forget to "officially" enter it over at bringtheson.org

Two songs in a row, shows the amount of time and effort I am squeezing into these!! Here it is, called A Million Miles Away

Darn.. If this weren't a self written competition i would have joined :/

C'mon, Lexxy! This is good a place to start as any. You've been listening to pop song structure your whole life. Keep it simple -- intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge optional/verse (can be a repeat of a previous verse)/chorus/out! Like my signature sez: Two octaves and the truth!

You can do it!!! :nana:

Top Bottom