How can I remember which chord name goes with each chord shape?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anybody else have this problem? I have trouble remembering which chord names go with which chord shapes.

What could be easier than A7 and Am, right? Both simple, one finger chords. One is 2000, and one is 0100....but which is which? I have the worst time remembering. Same with D7 and Dm. I can make both chord shapes without any problem....but have trouble remembering which is which. Same with E7 and Em. Seeing a pattern, here?

On song sheets with chord diagrams above the lyrics I have no problems. Song sheets with only chord names above the lyrics are hit-or-miss for me, even if there is a single diagram of each chord in the margin. I sometimes lose my place in the song while trying to look over to the margin for the chord shape.

Is there a memory tip or trick you can offer to help me out? I'd really like to get past this stumbling block; it would go a long way toward making me a better player.... :eek:

Thanks, DeG....at least I know I'm not alone. I hate it when I go to uke group and the person leading the song says "Okay, now everyone play a A7"....and I have to wait to see what everyone else plays. It's frustrating mostly because I know I can make the chords, and I can even narrow it down (it has to be either this one or that one....), but I can't just hear or see the chord name and jump right on the right chord shape....

You might just not be a visual learner. Try focusing on the sound of the chord instead. Minor chords and 7th chords (regardless of the root note) both have very distinctive--and very different--sounds. (To me, minor chords sound sleek and "dark", whereas 7th chords sound sharp, edgy, and unstable. Your own sense of them may differ.)

At first, this won't help you remember which is which, but it will certainly let you know when you've picked the wrong one. :)

Eventually, you'll make that link between "I need to play a minor chord" and "that means a minor sound". You'll also make a link between "minor sound" and chord shape. The sound, in other words, will (mentally) be an intermediary between the chord name and the chord shape.

Something to try, anyway.

JJ

You might just not be a visual learner. Try focusing on the sound of the chord instead. Minor chords and 7th chords (regardless of the root note) both have very distinctive--and very different--sounds. (To me, minor chords sound sleek and "dark", whereas 7th chords sound sharp, edgy, and unstable. Your own sense of them may differ.)

That's great advice. Strum a couple of 7th chords to hear that distinct 7th sound, like:

A7 - 0100
C7 - 0001
G7 - 0212

Then strum the same in minor chords like:

Am - 2000
Cm - 0333
Gm - 0231

Eventually, your brain will tell your fingers to press the strings corresponding to the sound you've learned & it will begin to come naturally. (FYI - "eventually" takes some of us a bit longer - I blame that on my particularly OLD ears!)

There are two ways:
1.) Flat out memorization. (not my recommended)
2.) Learn the shapes and hear the chord. Pretty soon you will be playing songs without knowing what chords you are playing.

It is my opinion that too many of us don't listen to what we are playing. I really like Uncle Rod's (fellow UU'er) of learning the chord progression first, then add the melody and singing.
You will hear the changes. It makes playing with others in a jam easier as well as learning new songs.

Of course you NEED TO PRACTICE too !!!!!

Yeah, you can memorize everything. Just play on and on and it will catch.
But is that the right thing to do?
Why not learn the individual not names and placements on the fretboard? And then learn the quite simple theory of building chords from scale notes?

What ogeva said. Learning shapes only gets you a little way unless you have a HUGE memory.

When I was first learning to play, I saw a tip online somewhere that suggested you say the name of the chord out loud as you play it until it became ingrained in your memory.

One trick for learning fretboard shapes through muscle memory was passed on to me years ago by my classical guitar teacher. It's called blocking. Take a short passage of several chords and form each one, saying the name to yourself and pressing down your fingers on the strings as you do. Then go to the next chord and do the same and so on. Sounds crazy, but it works. When you're playing or singing while you play you don't have much time to think about the shapes. Blocking helps make it more automatic.

Thanks, everyone, for all the tips. Unfortunately, all my previous attempts at learning music theory have been unsuccessful. I guess I just don't get it, or just don't stick to it long enough.

I understand the value of practicing. It's not forming the chords thats the issue, it's remembering what they're called. I've already developed the muscle memory, and can switch back and forth through the different chord shapes. Like I said before, put a chord diagram above the lyrics and I'm golden.

I guess I'll try working with the flash cards and some of the other suggestions and see if I can make it any beter....

Top Bottom