Saddle buzz!

layziiwunn

Reaction score
I have a Lucero LC100 Classical and recently put new Student D'Addario Strings on it. And I think they were light gauge. Few weeks later, the saddle (i think) started to have a little buzz sound when I strum some chords. I can't tell whether it's the strings? or the saddle. 'cause when I press on the saddle and play a chord, the buzz disappears. When I let go, it re-appears. Saddle problem? String problem? Should I replace the saddle or just get a whole new Guitar.

Thanks!

I thought you were talking about the feeling you get in your butt after riding a horse too long. ;) Are your new strings a smaller diameter? Are they lower tension? You might be getting the buzz in your nut if the new strings are loose in the nut grooves. You might also check the bottom of saddle for flatness, and if it rocks in the bridge groove it may need some light sanding to make flat. Groove may also not be flat.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes they're low tension strings and they fit in the nut grooves just fine. It's more of a distinct 'buzz' sound BUT you can still hear it. Almost like a zzz. It's almost as if the saddle needs to be re glued? I don't know. But it really is getting on my nerves 'cause it gets annoying hearing the sound while I play a song :/

Oh and I'm not sure if it's actually called a saddle but it's the long flat piece of wood that sits under the bridge.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes they're low tension strings and they fit in the nut grooves just fine. It's more of a distinct 'buzz' sound BUT you can still hear it. Almost like a zzz. It's almost as if the saddle needs to be re glued? I don't know. But it really is getting on my nerves 'cause it gets annoying hearing the sound while I play a song :/

Oh and I'm not sure if it's actually called a saddle but it's the long flat piece of wood that sits under the bridge.

You shouldn't glue the saddle into the bridge it should be a snug fit held in place by string tension. If your current saddle is wood I would try replacing it with a bone saddle. They run about $4 at your local music supply. :)

I actually just looked at the saddle closer and it's the saddle wing? A little of it is like coming off. I think It's the string tension that did it. Not sure. But should I replace the whole bridge bridge wing? Thanks for the replies, Ahnko, I really appreciate it!

Is it buzzing against the fretboard or is it somewhere else; ie by the saddle at the bridge, or the nut up by the tuners? Most def have a professional or someone knowledgable take a look at it. You are not going to ruin you guitar by tweaking it a little but you most likely will make it worse.

It is definitely going to affect you sustain, especially with a fender, because the strings wont vibrate as long. Probably a minimal effect on your tone.

Top Bottom