Singing and playing at the same time.. whaaat!? HALP!

layziiwunn

Reaction score
Lol I know it's weird and I don't know if it's common to a lot of people but I find it very difficult to sing and play Guitar/Uke at the same time. Can I get some pointers?

Thanks!

practice .

Yes, it can be quite difficult at first. I would advise the simplest of songs to begin with. I started with "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain." It was a tune that was hardwired into me in second grade, so I didn't have to think as I first tried to sing to chords. Once it clicked, I was off to all the songs I liked (that were within my playing range).

practice .

I'd like to add to this advice, more practice!!

Don't feel too bad, I saw an interview with B.B. King nd he said he can't play and sing at the same time.
"Uke5417's" advice great too, start with a few simple songs you know. Try memorizing the words, listen to the chord changes.
Playing & singing is hard enough, add reading words and chords to the equation and you are on overload.

Focus on the song...let the playing follow. You'll find yourself playing "less" and probably better.

my trick for songs i'm struggling with, where the words don't necessarily land on the strum, is to just play through the song, no singing. next, you add humming. easy to throw out notes, no need to think "what's the next words". then, start singing what you can, and if you start to get stuck go back to the humming, then back to singing when you are back on track. you'll be cruising through the song in no time.
jon

Hi Lazy (& heyitsme), you are not alone! I struggled with this for a long time, and then it just clicked one day. I have also heard some people need to practice singing and playing at the same time, taking the song in small chunks, until they can play it all the way through. Some people say to start with a song you know how to sing very well and then try and add simple strums to that. The common element for everyone is practice though. For me, the first song I was able to sing and play at the same time was Imagine by John Lennon. Once it clicked it became easier and easier. Keep at it!

If you want to sing right away, like if you are testing to see if the chords are right, just strum in 4/4 time (4 beats per measure) so nothing fancy.

Once you decide your strum pattern, practice it solely until it becomes automatic. Then add your singing.

I've been playing for about a month and I really struggled with this too, especially when playing less simple strumming patterns. I think nahtanoj and Pueo gave great advice, sometimes I take a song that I know really well and just strum to a rhythm that feels natural, and other times (especially when I learn uke songs from Aldrine's videos) I learn the strum pattern first and get it down, and then add singing.

I'd like to add to this advice, more practice!!

Don't feel too bad, I saw an interview with B.B. King nd he said he can't play and sing at the same time.
"Uke5417's" advice great too, start with a few simple songs you know. Try memorizing the words, listen to the chord changes.
Playing & singing is hard enough, add reading words and chords to the equation and you are on overload.

That 's funny about BB. Maybe that is where the whole "call and response" thing came from for the blues. Cuz it was too hard to sing and play at the same time. ;) I can play chords and see, but I can't play bass or solo lines and sing very well. Not enough time practicing. Or I need the surgery to split my brain and run my hands from one side.

Lots of great advice for singing and playing. I too try to ingrain both separately first, then put them together a verse/chorus at a time. I was doing well playing and singing 'Guava Jelly" the Marley tune. Playing the Kaau Crater Boys version (love them). I am learning to "chunk". So I added the chunk on beats 2 & 4 and now I'm relearning it. cuz I can't sing it and chunk it at the same time...yet :).

Great advice. Now how do you stop from rather than singing the tune to singing the sound of whatever chord you are playing. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sometimes living alone is a really good thing.

I did experience the same thing but got the knack of it. The trick is to listen to the same song until your ears bleed. (you'll not find this a problem if you really like the song and wanted to play it with any instrument.) Sing with it and listen until it gets into your system that you hear it even when it's not played on your ipod. By then, you should be able to sing every note and lyrics at the back of your mind even if you're doing calculus while singing. Get the chords and strum your way in. PRACTICE! is the most important thing.

Do it because it's your PASSION and it's what makes you HAPPY and you'll be good at it. Dun look at it as "I need to practice so i'll be good!" you might be obliging yourself and might end up tired and frustrated. Just my 2 cents :D

Haha I've only been playing uke for about a week and I discovered it's not so easy singing while playing either! People on youtube make it look so easy..

But the only way to learn how to play and sing is to keep doing it. I don't know what songs you're into but I think most pop songs use the same chords (C, G, Am, F) so when you're super pro at these you can practice different songs with just those 4 chords.

I can't sing and play either.. I loose my strumming place... I think it will all come in time. Someone on here said it and it is now my whole families music motto. "Practice Makes Permanent"!
I don't know that it will ever improve the sound of my voice though... sigh.... I wish I was blessed with a good singing voice instead of the ability to cook, (I'd spend less time eating and more time singing) Oh well...

Keep it up!

I usually play the song several times without singing so that I'm used to the chord progression and can tell what's coming next. Once I'm to the point where I can play the song in my sleep, I add the lyrics.

Another good thing to do is slow the song down and work up the speed. This is what I did on guitar. It's basically separating your head and body into two different things. Just practice a very lot and get your brain-to-hand coordination down too as this helps to play without even looking at the uke at times.

Funnily enough Aldrine's latest Uke minute # 118 is on Singing & Playing at the same time!

Top Bottom