Toy Tin Ukulele Sopranino

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I found this little guy. He's gonna hang from the wall. I may put a pickup on it and get some slide action on it when I get home. Watch for the video in about a week.

DSC04613.jpg

Sweet Tuner Pegs. It appears to be metal to metal friction tuners.

DSC04614.jpg

solid one piece tin back and sides in candie apple red.

DSC04618.jpg

Last edited:
are those single strings that double back on themselves and provide two strings (if you know what I mean)

I think these finds are brilliant. I'd be tempted to get it set up nice with new strings and see what happens.

side by side comparison with Mahalo U30/RD.

DSC04621.jpg

DSC04620.jpg

A picture of kids enjoying real instruments while your kid can only play with this tin can.

DSC04619.jpg

I had found a banjo uke and I didn't know what it was so I chose not to buy it. I went back to look today and the guy wasn't there. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can score that old banjo uke.

are those single strings that double back on themselves and provide two strings (if you know what I mean)

I think these finds are brilliant. I'd be tempted to get it set up nice with new strings and see what happens.

Yes 2 strings both doubling back at the bridge. I've got several stainless steel and strings I can replace with and try the slide on it.

when are you going to post a video and let us hear it?

I'll see if my camera makes a film with audio. I was going to wait until I had the HD camera with good audio and a slide. but ok, give me a day.

Thats cool, I would love to hear it. Im always checking the toy bins at re-sale shops , you never know what people throw away
Steve

Since I bought it, I've been speculating how it got to where I found it. I'm thinking an expat child had it and somehow left it or lost in on the move back. They don't make this type of stuff in Indonesia. There is no markings whatsoever on this.

Here is the locrian version of the sound test on this baby. I didn't tune it. It is "asis" tuning. The action on the strings does not allow use of the fretboard. The strings are dirty and steel so forgive me if I don't play anything I know based on current ukulele technique. I had to improvise.

THere is a Birthday song in there.

I don't know about you but I hear Strawberry Fields in there.

Last edited:
what a bizarre instrument - you cant fret it cos the strings hit the body!

(I've seen a few Mahalos just as bad.....;););) )

Yes, but I do like the slide technique. I don't know why they make kids' and cheap models so bad. haha

Top Bottom