Banjolele action too high!!!

kylep

Reaction score
Hi, I just recieved an older banjolele in the mail, and after tightening the head and setting everything up discoverd I couldnt adjust the action. ITS WAY TOO HIGH!!! I think I know the answer to this but i'd like to lower the action. At the nut its ok, but at the bridge not so much. Is sanding the bridge down the only way I can lower it? There would be quite a bit of material to remove so would just buying a new bridge that is lower work better?

Might be a dumb question but I messed up an all bone bridge yesterday trying to make an alternative. Maybe the lack of propper tools had something to do with it.......

baritone banjolele project is on hold....

yup. Sand down the bridge from the bottom up and you'll get the action down. If there's loads to remove, they've probably bought a new bridge just to get the banjolele sold. You could try buying a new one, but you're probably just as well reducing the one you've got. Any pictures?

Adjust the neck angle..usually the joint between pot and neck warps.. also do's it have a perch pole?

Looks like i'll be sanding the bridge, no perch pole, the neck is fixed to the body :( boooooo!

Damn thats a lot to sand down.
The bridge looks like it could be the original. there is some wear in the string grooves. maybe just my eyes are bad. Again I think its just a cheep banjolele a good substitue until I can afford a goldtone. it was under $100 so I cant really complain about a little work.

Thanks for the help, i'll try to post pictures

can i see pictures of:

- the pot, from the bottom
- the whole uke, from the side, with a good clear view of the action
- the whole uke, from the top ?

sanding down your bridge is NOT necessarily the solution. more of a last resort. you need to make sure you've got an otherwise structurally sound banjo-uke first.

i just finished restoring a five string banjo, this was an issue i encountered. i will gladly assist you.

I have the same problem. Action at the 12th fret is about 7.5mm. I ahve a 5/8" bridge, but sanding that down wouldn't lower the action enough. I've seen somewhere that loosening the neck from the head and fitting a shim would change the angle between the neck and head, and that this would lower the action. Is that correct, and can anyone give any advice. I tried tightening the retaining ring thinking that this would lower the foot, but the vellum has popped out...aaargghh. I will have to strip it all down and replace the vellum, so any other alterations could be done at the same time.

Before you start sanding anything down. Are you SURE that the saddle is place correctly for intonation? If you move the saddle away from the neck the action will go lower and the intonation will flatten. If the saddle is too close to the neck the action will be higher and the intonation sharper.

Fair comment, but yes. I've measured from the nut to the 12th fret, etc. The action is about the correct height when i remove the bridge.

Photos

Almost impossible to give valid advice without photographs. If you seriously need help then post some photos of the issues.

Do you guys commenting recently realize that this original thread was created over 7 yrs ago?

Likely the OP has moved on, as per checking their profile, they have not logged in to UU in some time.

If this is a NEW problem, experienced by someone other than the OP, why not create a new thread?

Best of luck towards a resolution in the meantime.

Yes, I had realised. I added my post to this thread hoping that the OP might still be around and could comment on how he/she resolved the problem.

Top Bottom