This is why I can't have nice things...

lisaxy424

Reaction score
So the "love patch" that I get on all my ukes (since I apparently beat the heck out of them while strumming) has now apparently turned to a "love gash" on my Fluke. The spot is only about 3/4 of an inch long, but the surrounding area that looks like it could eventually go is about 2 inches long and an inch wide...so the "love gash" could even turn into a "love chunk". Wee.

11kffic.jpg
2u5q6pt.jpg

I know it's just cosmetic, but my Fluke was so pretty and now there's that white under-wood just STARING at me...TAUNTING me...

Was there something I could have done to prevent this!? I strum the way I strum, so I can't change that - and I'm gonna slap the first person who says "just put tape on that part!" ;)

I figure once I naturally completely strip all the color off, I'll probably have the cash for another one - of which I won't make this mistake with :) (like children...)

They have clear plastic pick guards that stick on. That may help you a bit.

Lisa.... The pick guard idea is a good one. This uke has the love gash issue already, so the damage is already done; apply a colored pick guard over it. Serves to cover the damage on the fluke, protect it from future damage, and serves as a test bed or future pick guard use on other ukes....

Thanks guys! Stupid question...do they make them small enough to fit in that little area? I would only want to cover the spot that's prone to my destruction :)

I think the clear pick guards or even the black pick guards would work. They might be flexible enough to trim or cut down. Good Luck!

Buy a guitar-size pick guard. Trim to proper size/shape with scissors. Smooth the edges with something like an emory board as needed. Save the excess to use on another uke (and another, and another....)

Another thought.... Make yourself a paper template first in the size/shape you want. Fit the template to the uke until you have just what you want. Use the template to cut the piece you need out of the pick guard....

just put tape on that part, ;) No really, I have a flea that color , I does show how much love &time you have given it,, thats not a bad thing.
I think instruments look good with some wear,,, as long as the wear is natural , and not some distressing done by the maker
Steve

It just gives the instrument some character. I say don't hide it, let it wear naturally! Willie Nelson has an acoustic that's worn through with holes in it, and he still plays it on stage!

embrace the scratch! the only instuments that dont get scratched/banged up are instruments that dont get played and stay in their case. The scratch adds character. Just think, now you have a one of a kind uke ;)

just put tape on that part, ;) No really, I have a flea that color , I does show how much love &time you have given it,, thats not a bad thing.
I think instruments look good with some wear,,, as long as the wear is natural , and not some distressing done by the maker
Steve

I agree! It shows your passion.

It just gives the instrument some character. I say don't hide it, let it wear naturally! Willie Nelson has an acoustic that's worn through with holes in it, and he still plays it on stage!
how long would it take to wear a hole in a uke with your finger?

Cellphone companies sell protective "peel off" sheets of plastic for PDA's, which you could trim with a pair of scissors, to the shape of the area you want to protect. You might want to consider this, but an instrument does get "character" as well if you want to ignore it?

+1 for leaving it.

I know guys that play mandolin that think the worn area where fingers have touched it some how makes an instrument more valuable. Something along the lines of if it has been played so much it got worn out, then it must have sounded good enough to be played that much.

I took the pick guard off of my Joe Pass Emperor II guitar because eventually I want the same effect.

~DB

Yeah, I was looking at the finish at the same spot on the Mainland soprano I bought in February, and it is plenty scratched up already. For a second I thought "I really should play softer and/or put some kind of pick guard on there." Then I thought, "Yeah, I really should stop drinking and eat healthier too, but it prolly ain't gonna happen".
It'll just make my once adorable uke look tough.

Dude from The Swell Season has messed up his guit-fiddle pretty well, too.
theswellseasonnpr.jpg

Top Bottom