First Position vs. Fret board roadmap - changing my uke size requirements

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
So, the first step is to try and master the "first position" chords.

Then you read up on the fretboard roadmap and you try the chord patterns down the fretboard and its a whole new show.

THat Concert doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

You either get a soprano to limit your needs and keep you in first position lala land - which likely at my stage may be more fun.

or... you must play tenors and possibly a baritone to play those chord structures more easier on the lower frets.

I think it will come down to the voicing I want; but, it sure burst my happy bubble after feeling good about the first position chords then struggling to master the DGB roadmap chord shapes as the frets get "smaller" and "wider"

Short fingers do not rule. Please tell me my fingers will adjust but I'm afraid my fingers are going to limit what I can do.

If women can get larger breasts, why can't I get longer fingers?

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I have a saprono pineapple now, and I just ordered a Lanakai Spruce Tenor from musicians friend. They have one for $99.00. I've played guitar for years, I used to really enjoy it but I got into the rut of wanting to learn all the barr chord positions, and the multitude of different scales in all there positions, practice became work and it took the joy out of playing for me, I also have short fingers and thats one reason I picked up the Uke, what I've learned is playing the Uke is fun, even if your only using first position chords, until you decide if you want to go to a Tenor or Baritone which will be easier doing chords down the neck. I would stay with what works with the Uke you have, if your using first position chords you may want to concentrate on the different unique strumming patterns for Uke, I'm learning the finger roll now. What ever you do, keep it fun. Happy Ukeing

I don't know... I have big bass player hands and I can do most of the chords well up the neck on soprano. I can't get the really really high ones very easily, but I can get up to the 7th fret shapes with no problem. Well, RELATIVELY no problem.

I had trouble with the 1st position / open threads early on my concert. I then got a tenor and with the wider spacing was able to get those chords.

WHen I went to a site showing some blues fingering, I decided to get a soprano for that realatively high fret fingering. Good.

I don't know how to make all those stretches on some of those patterns but maybe I can eliminate certain notes by changing the position and pattern.

That index finger bar that is always recommended. bah!!!

I now hit fourth-position chords up in frets 10-12 on a sop that I couldn't have touched a few years ago. Tenor's nice, but sops don't limit you to the cowboy end of things, either.

Just know your limitations at the time and have fun....it'll come sooner or later hopefully..
When you get fustrated and out of tune and timing, you get discouraged...go back to the basics and have fun..
Three words of encouragement, Practice, patience, and perserverence....
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan.....

THanks 5417 and Stan.

There luckily is alot to practice with the uke.

You are right about in tune. If its not in tune, there is no joy even if you are thinking its just finger practice. sweet notes make a difference.

chord structures
chord progressions
strummig
finger rolls
fingering
verse practice building blocks
solos with chord and melodies.
There is plenty to go around; but, it seems obvious that I am chasing the sound of the blues. And I I'd like to get different voicings to keep it lively.

I now hit fourth-position chords up in frets 10-12 on a sop that I couldn't have touched a few years ago. Tenor's nice, but sops don't limit you to the cowboy end of things, either.

Amen. You can also crank out a fair amount of fingerstyle...eventually.

Just know your limitations at the time and have fun....it'll come sooner or later hopefully..
When you get fustrated and out of tune and timing, you get discouraged...go back to the basics and have fun..
Three words of encouragement, Practice, patience, and perserverence....
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan.....

mm stan...that is excellent!!!! Keep having fun!!!

Aloha!!

Top Bottom