Need6 String Help! Fast1

Doc Kaplan

Reaction score
Need 6 String Help! Fast!

Situation:
I bought a 6 String Kamaka on ebay. Turns out it's a left hand model. I have emailed Kamaka and a local music shop to see if it can be converted to right hand. I am waiting for a reply. I may not be able to return this to the seller.

Has anyone ever doubled the c and a strings on a 6 string? How's it sound? Bad idea?

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's some string info from Kanile'a Ukuleles. Hope this helps ya.

if it's a simple nut (not one that's tapered on the tuning peg side), you could probably just knock it off and flip it around...

if it's a simple nut (not one that's tapered on the tuning peg side), you could probably just knock it off and flip it around...

What about the bridge-string-holder-thingy? How hard would it be to replace that?

What about the bridge-string-holder-thingy? How hard would it be to replace that?

oh yea...forgot we were talking about a 6 string...haha

....so i guess...uhh...steady hands and a drill gun? KIDDING! well...maybe. He might be able to have someone just add a new hole near for the second A...but I'm thinking the spacing won't be right...so it'll more than likely require a new bridge

Hey Doc,
Sorry to hear about your predicament. Anyway, about your stirng question. I have a 6-string tenor. I have the C string setup as octave. The A string as Double. I also have the G strung with a Low G.

As far as fixing this, I think you need a luthier. He may be able to get away with drilling 2 extra holes on the bridge but like others are saying, you will need a new nut too. you might try turning it into a 4 string....spacing might be a little off though. Last option, sell em back on ebay......or was the auction not clear this was a left handed uke. What was the link to the auction.

on a six string uke, the C and A string courses are the ones that are usually octaved or doubled. so what you are asking is actually the normal format. if when you set the uke up as a right hander, and the doubled courses are in the C and A positions, then you actually do have a right handed 6 string ukulele. if they are in the G and E positions as you hold it as a righty, then your nut and saddle are set up as a lefty... and you will need to replace the nut and saddle.

if you are not comfortable doing work like this, just take it to a luthier and have them make a new set for you... and re-drill the bridge for the string positioning. on a kamaka, this will be worth it. but if you are good enough with your hands and tools, and have the needed patience, then you can make your own set. this way you can space out the strings exactly where YOU want them (but dont forget about re-drilling the bridge.

Top Bottom