Picking and strumming

SatDish

Reaction score
Is it strumming with adding picking into it or is it picking with adding the strumming in the gaps? and are there any easy tunes or leasons to practise this on, i have a couple of books but they don't teach technique just teach strumming and picking and not how to put the two together.
Thanks in advance.
Glenn

Last edited:
Honestly I have noticed that when it comes to picking there is always a clear point where the strum pattern stops and the picking part begins...If you are adding the two together I have also found it easier to create cool picking parts out of the chords im already using im not sure if this fully answers your question but i thought I would try =D

Honestly I have noticed that when it comes to picking there is always a clear point where the strum pattern stops and the picking part begins...If you are adding the two together I have also found it easier to create cool picking parts out of the chords im already using im not sure if this fully answers your question but i thought I would try =D
It certainly helps thanks.

I just learned this one, which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5x3D4_EYeU

It's pretty basic. Although, I use my thumb and finger. I find the pick a bit harsh.

Excellent thanks, thats a great example and no doubt many hours of practise :)

I think you probably can think of it as adding strums to picking. All you are doing is filling out the melody. When there is a space you could strum the chord that would be strummed. You can also use the chord you are over for the melody, just find an inversion or substitution that has the melody note as the highest note of the chord. Herb Ohta Jr. is the man when it comes to this style. He could play by himself all day and it would sound great because of how he fills out the melody with chords.

I used the guideline for the highest note chords for my entry to the Eleuke contest; however I didn't use the method from the book that 'm now using called Mel Bay's Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele by Mark Kailana Nelson.

In it, he kind of teaches all the tricks to flush out the melody or back fill with chords. but obviously because of low sustain with the strings, the chords are limited.

I also use the same method that blues harmonica players use of using good popular time worn riffs to fill in the spaces or to extend the melody from 2 bars to 4. oh yeah.

I spent 2 hours yesterday with that book playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and learning the different ways to combine fingerstyles.

Ive got the Mel Bay "First lessons ukulele" and i must say it is very good but where it says you can combine picking and strumming it dont realy go into how, but with the posts in this thread im sure it will come in time, as the old saying goes practice makes perfect, everyone at work is getting sick of my rendition of Twinkle Twinkle little Star lol.

Ive got the Mel Bay "First lessons ukulele" and i must say it is very good but where it says you can combine picking and strumming it dont realy go into how, but with the posts in this thread im sure it will come in time, as the old saying goes practice makes perfect, everyone at work is getting sick of my rendition of Twinkle Twinkle little Star lol.

Maybe I'll upload the 2 renditions for Twinkle Twinkle from the book I'm reading.

HOw can anybody get sick of Twinkle Twinkle? Tell them its the alphabet song or threaten them with 100 bottles of beer on the wall. :)

They dont mind Twinkle Twinkle now, told them the next song on the list was the Barney i love you song, so they said stick with Twinkle Twinkle ;)

Maybe I'll upload the 2 renditions for Twinkle Twinkle from the book I'm reading.

HOw can anybody get sick of Twinkle Twinkle? Tell them its the alphabet song or threaten them with 100 bottles of beer on the wall. :)

Aloha Suzukhammer,
That'll be cool, can't wait to hear them..I agree, you can take the simplest and basic version of twinkle, twinkle little star or any song and make your
own rendition or version by adding your own touches(riffs etc.) and filling it out....and it can become so awesome...nobody said you couldn't add
your own touches to a song.....we start here and learn and and move on....I am always amazed when someone can take a simple tune and
make it sound great!! MM Stan....

Top Bottom