Advice please

Helms

Reaction score
Hey there!

I already posted this in the Video and Link forum, but seeing as it's mainly for the more experienced Ukers, I guess I better post here. Sorry for double posting. Feel free to delete the one in the other Forum.

Anyway:

I've been playing Uke for 12 days now. I've been practicing a lot, and been learing a few songs with the help of Dominator and Aldrine.

I recorded myself playing 4 different songs, and I would really like if you guys had a look on them. I want to get things right from the start, and avoid using wrong techniques etc..
I know from the guitar that using a wrong technique might limit my ability to play later on. (By holding the pick wrong for example)
Hope you guys got time to help me out

http://www.youtube.com/Heelms

I have only been playing the uke for 6 months, so I am not really an expert. Your form looks great to me, except perhaps for that thumb being wrapped around the neck, instead of behind it. Guitar teachers don't like that, I understand, but then again I see a lot of really good players playing that way, and I know I sure do it. It makes some chords hard to finger, but usually I adjust when I get to them. I can't play unless I put my thumb around the side, because I use it to hold the neck up. I suppose if I started playing with a strap, I could use the more proper form, if it is more proper.

Craig Brandau is well trained (I think) and I notice his thumb coming around sometimes - just not as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqFnieN6Bc&playnext=1&videos=r-c8Tyzwqkk

Dominator does it too when he needs to, but not very often:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3hVkyXzObM

Hopefully one of the experts will jump in.

Great sound. That guitar training and practice is really paying off.

I love that spruce. Is that a Lanikai or a Kala?

Last edited:
Pretty damn good for 12 days practice dude!

And I wouldnt worry bout the thumb - I play uke that way, and guitar. In fact on guitar I sometimes use the thumb to deliberately mute the low E string - I have big hands!)

Thanks guys :)

And about that thumb, when I first started playing guitar I tried to have it along the neck, but it was impossible. And the guitar teachers I've had all told me to get that thumb down, but no matter how hard I tried it always ended up there. And on the Uke, with a smaller neck, it's only harder to get that thumb down.
But yeah, sometimes the thumb is a pain. Like when I try to do E Major -.-

And the uke is a Lanikai. :)

Aaahhh, I was going to guess that you played another stringed instrument prior to this or I wasn't going to believe you've only been playing for 12 days! I wouldn't worry about a thing, just keep enjoying yourself :)

Aloha Helms,
12 days eh!!! I must be slow then......he he...
You're off to a good start then, a natural maybe...
thanks ffor sharing.....MM Stan....

Craig Brandau is well trained (I think) and I notice his thumb coming around sometimes - just not as much.

LOL! :) I'll have to tell Howard that someone actually thinks I've got good classical guitar chops! I came to the ukulele, like many, after playing guitar for years and no longer really think about where my thumb is, especially on the uke since the neck is so much thinner than a guitar. However, I just do whatever I need to do to get clean, clear sounds while playing....and this usually involves not having my thumb wrapped over the back of the neck. You'll have to find out what works for you. Also, the late, great Chet Atkins was an advocate of thumb over the neck usage...so, go figure?

Top Bottom