I'm afraid; very afraid.

arw

Reaction score
This morning, I stopped by my neighborhood guitar store, and they told me they are expecting a shipment of Kamaka's any day now.

I'm eager to check them out. I've never played one.

I'm curious as to how long they will remain in the store.

very very well made ukes. Played one, but dont own one - bit too pricey for me at present

when that happens to me, I just tend to do it and ask questions later (and call it fate). Thats what I tell my wife anyway.

Lucky for me there are no ukulele stockists near me.

I did once go shopping and stopped into a used guitar shop and ended coming home with a £750 USA special edition Fender Strat - made the mistake of asking the guy If I could have a play, and from the first note I knew it was coming home with me. Nice when that happens. Not so nice on the bank balance.

This morning, I stopped by my neighborhood guitar store, and they told me they are expecting a shipment of Kamaka's any day now.

I'm eager to check them out. I've never played one.

I'm curious as to how long they will remain in the store.

Good stuff, I have a Kamaka and love it. You can't go wrong with one!

I just got mine Thursday and my mind has been altered. The tone is simply awesome.

I try to avoid shops that carry nicer ukes for exactly the reason pauljmuk describes. haha Any time I see a uke that is really unbelievably nice, and the price is relatively reasonable, I wind up buying it.. its kind of a curse, but a curse that I enjoy playing a lot :)

If you go have a look see, play them ALL, they have varying quality now. A new Kamaka isn't automatically better than any other well built uke in it's class and some other contemporary models may even sound nicer for less. I love my old white label concert but I have a new custom long scale pineapple made by Bradford Donaldson for less than a new concert Kamaka that blows it away. The custom is a spruce top so it's not a completely fair comparison, both have very different voices, but if you want to compare a K with a K, a Kelii would be cheaper and likely sound as nice or even better than some Kamakas today. Both have that woody "Island" sound.

Just IMO and YMMV.

What's it all about?..

I'm going to Kuaui in Oct, and I'll go to Larry's. I'm finally going to play a Kamaka (and a Koaloha) and see what all the fuss is about.

I've got the funds, so it's dangerous...

I'm going to Kuaui in Oct, and I'll go to Larry's. I'm finally going to play a Kamaka (and a Koaloha) and see what all the fuss is about.

Haha...I did the same thing (except I was in Maui) came home with a Kamaka Tenor. Love that uke a lot, sounds and plays great. Now I am getting a Kanile'a Tenor 6 string! When will it stop!?!? :D:cool:

Be sure to go to Larry's. Sam is a wonderful guy, and he has the best selection of Kamakas and KoAlohas on the island. As well as a lot of Kanile'as too...he will let you play whatever you like, and he is great to talk to. There is also Scotty's on the other side of the island, but I don't care for their selection as much, and their customer service is very iffy at best.

I'll be there in October as well, so who knows, maybe we will run into each other at Scottys. Only unlike you, I'm not buying right now, just drooling. :)

Haha...I did the same thing (except I was in Maui) came home with a Kamaka Tenor. Love that uke a lot, sounds and plays great. Now I am getting a Kanile'a Tenor 6 string! When will it stop!?!? :D:cool:

It will never stop!!! :p

Top Bottom