Got My Second Mainland In Less Than 10 Days

luvdat

Reaction score
Will post a pic later...tired after Chinatown, lunch and a haircut... and then a drive with my wife to East Village Music...back though traffic...

I traded an amp towards a Mainland Classic Mahogany Soprano...that makes 2 Mainlands in less than 10 days...

Last edited:
Oh my! You've got it bad. At least you traded something.

Congrats!

Now all you need is a Mango Pineapple. ;)
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...71921A.qscstrfrnt06?productId=38&categoryId=3
mango%20pineapple.jpg

Oh my! You've got it bad. At least you traded something.

Congrats!

Thanks!!! Glad to get a good trade deal towards the mahogany...I also saved some money because believe it or not you can still get a pretty decent haircut in Chinatown for $5 (no pics to follow, LOL).

BTW at East Village Music they also had a Pono mahogany baritone that was really nice and the Lanikai banjoele...as well as several Mainlands...concerts...tenors.

Last edited:
So, you loving that mahogany soprano? Mine is definitely the household favorite and heavily coveted by my husband.

So, you loving that mahogany soprano? Mine is definitely the household favorite and heavily coveted by my husband.

Have only owned it for about 6 hours but have to say this is a sweet sounding musical uke! One thought that kept going through my head in the store while I played it for over 15 minutes before paying for it, while checking out the intonation with my clip on (again very fine) and negotiating with Claude at East Village Music: I think Mainland sopranos deserve more praise.

Tried out the mahog concert (very nice)...yeah I prefer sopranos...and also the thought that some Mainland (I'm saying some) fans need to be less guarded about the Mainland mahogany ukes while praising or recommending the red cedars. BOTH are really great values...with different tonal voices. Glad I have both! I've come away from these Mainland sop purchases saying Mainland sopranos deserve more praise (as in not just the concerts and tenors).

I started out my uke thing awhile back ordering a Kala acacia soprano that never arrived...now I've got 2 really nice sopranos...from Mainland a red cedar and a mahogany.

Last edited:
I've been wanting a Mainland Classic Mahogany gloss concert for over a year. Wish I had the money, and the go-ahead to spend it....

Unless I can talk my friend in town into selling me his '50s Martin Style 3 (he doesn't play uke and has just had this thing hanging on his wall for 20 years!), or unless I find something cool in Denver next week, I plan on getting a Mainland gloss mahogany soprano next. Possibly with a pick-up installed.

Aloha LuvDatUke,
Sounds like you've get Mainland UAS pretty bad now.....eh!!!! so soprano's are the way to go for you now I see...
I'm warming up to mine too, as I too feel my soprano is a better size for singing too!!
I know they're two different ukuleles, but do you find one is better for strumming and another for picking????
After playing both of them for a while, do you have the same strings on both of them to give a fair comparison?
Well I'm happy for you, and keep us informed on the updates..."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Aloha LuvDatUke,
Sounds like you've get Mainland UAS pretty bad now.....eh!!!! so soprano's are the way to go for you now I see...
I'm warming up to mine too, as I too feel my soprano is a better size for singing too!!
I know they're two different ukuleles, but do you find one is better for strumming and another for picking????
After playing both of them for a while, do you have the same strings on both of them to give a fair comparison?
Well I'm happy for you, and keep us informed on the updates..."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Started with sopranos, for me, great with singing, strumming and fingerstyle. I'm not a purist about them, like these are the "real" ukes kind of thing, but I prefer them for myself. Both my Mainlands came with Aquilas and I have no plans to change at the present. As far is which one is better for what: by adjusting my playing style I can get good stuff out of both ukes for strumming and fingerstyle, would say in general that with the mahogany I use more partial strums (not always all the strings)...

Martin Flouros is what i eventually went for on my Mainland (after loads of string trials) - just makes that sweet sweet wood chime and sing more than Aquilas IMHO

Martin Flouros is what i eventually went for on my Mainland (after loads of string trials) - just makes that sweet sweet wood chime and sing more than Aquilas IMHO

Having played the concert (which you own), I could see why you went for the Martin Flouros. My conclusion about Aquilas: as the uke gets bigger (moving from sop to tenor) other options become more necessary.

For the sake of a few dollars I'd be interested to know how they sound on the soprano - that is sweet solid wood you have in your hands!

For the sake of a few dollars I'd be interested to know how they sound on the soprano - that is sweet solid wood you have in your hands!

I could already tell you: less volume and revealing more tonal flaws to a discerning ear especially with a soprano...even a very good one at this price point. To support your string change on the CONCERT: after playing it with the stock Aquilas: needed more defintion. The larger body size takes away compression; the smaller body size of a soprano adds compression (to the Aquilas). Yeah, was able to get more "chimey" on even a Kala pineapple with Martin Fl's...but also less balance. BTW, this is what I learned (again) listening to Ken M's string comparision thread. At first, the Bionylons drew me in but listening more closely on that SK-35...no thanks. In the end, it's a personal thing. If we were talking about a Kamaka sop I would be talking about Hilos (not joking). Just talking sops here...I think going for more refined can sometimes backfire...upon a third listening...esp. with sopranos at this price point. The Mainland sopranos are GREAT VALUES!!! Not enough praise...
'

Last edited:
Top Bottom