Stringing when the strings are coming from up under the bridge.

Sambient

Reaction score
I know Alan posted a vid at some point on stringing his Waverly Street uke. I'll have to find and watch that. My man and I are seriously loving on my newest ebay treat that arrived today. Then I realized that the strings better last forever, because this is going to be a nightmare to restring.

After this baby and I have lived together a little longer, I know I must do a review. This novelty item is uncharted territory. I was only willing to take the chance since some folks mention favorably the parts that they purchase from Bruce Wei. And I know the Antonio creations with all the MOP work are notorious for falling apart. I just couldn't resist the coconut with the heart-shaped soundhole. Glad I took the chance.
This is one adorable sweetheart, and the sound should thrill those who like a vaudvillesque sound. My husband described it as sounding like an old uke played through a megaphone.
I'll do photos in a few days. Kinda crunched for time at the moment.

Last edited:
That's really cute! :) And you got it for a bid of only $1.29 plus $70 shipping? I'm looking forward to your review.

Can't really tell how the strings are strung, but I'm sure you'll get it figured out. Odds are the strings on it aren't the best out of the box.

By the way, someone really should snap up the other one like this.
The neck seems a little fatter to me than expected, I know this is a plus to some. Even though it's a soprano (actually a smidge smaller), mine has 15 frets to the little coconut body. Fret profile is fairly low and the fret ends have been seriously shaped down.
Coconut body is greatest percussive sound should you knock on it. Tactilely delightful, it is indeed satin smooth.
Heart-shaped soundhole, pit-a-pat pit-a-pat!
I'm concerned that the dog is interested in the bone nut and carved saddle. Or is it the coconut? Something about it makes his nose curious.

On the minus side, if you're fussy about balance of weight, those geared tuners throw it. Aesthetically, silvertone would have been better than goldtone.
And, as is the subject of the thread, it is going to be a bit more work to string it should you want to change the strings. But that's okay, I think Aquilas would be way too shrill on this spruce-top. The ones that are there are fine, and when I do change it'll probably be fluorocarbons.
It is an oddball, but overall a serious quality oddball. As if the ukulele wasn't considered quirky enough.

That is one of the coolest little ukes I think I've seen! I'm very interested to know how it actually sounds, as the ad says that we would be "surprised"

It's got a particularly plinky sound. Think the uke sound from Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter. Has some projection on it, I'm sure that spruce top helps. I could see someone actually wanting this particularly vintagey sound on a recording. It's earnest sounding.

You and your unorthodox 'ukuleles... ;)

Ooh. I see that auction has ended a little more robustly. It's still a fine and worthwhile price.

Aloha Sam,
Congrats on the cool score......unbelievable..$1.29!!! It looks so awesome, can't believe i'ts like he's giving it away....
It looks kinda well made too, even with geared tuners and a buffalo bone nut....WOW sooo Jealous...
I've gotta find time to check e-bay out more often....I wonder if he's trying to make some money
back on the shipping???Anyways give us the reviews, girl!!!Way to go!!!!thanks for sharing!!! MM Stan....

You and your unorthodox 'ukuleles... ;)

For what good is collecting without an appreciation of the unusual? This tasty morsel had so many things going for it visually that it was highly desirable for me. The fact that I love playing it* has made it one of the stars of my uke family already.
And thank you for noticing I do gravitate toward the fringes of ukedom. You've just brilliantly named my taste!

*My husband can't keep his hands off it. I wonder how he'd answer your ukulele or sex poll.

Aloha Sam,
Congrats on the cool score......unbelievable..$1.29!!! It looks so awesome, can't believe i'ts like he's giving it away....
It looks kinda well made too, even with geared tuners and a buffalo bone nut....WOW sooo Jealous...
I've gotta find time to check e-bay out more often....I wonder if he's trying to make some money
back on the shipping???Anyways give us the reviews, girl!!!Way to go!!!!thanks for sharing!!! MM Stan....

Slippery slope, that checking ebay. Oh the trouble I get myself into. Delicious, delicious trouble.

I'm sure that shipping fee is where the money is being made. Still a great deal though I know I can be put off by items having shipping fees like that. Not anymore. I'm sure I'm going to buy something else from this seller in the future because I like the work.
As for this baby, part of its beauty lies in its organic design. A coconut shell is not perfectly symetrical, as a result the rest of it follows this. Placement of tuners on the back looks a little "off", but I'm sure this has to do with getting the tone right because the saddle is also compensated.
And those fret markers! Whew do those make me sweat with desire!
I hope he makes more of these, because I think folks would really enjoy playing these and I can't see them decreasing in value.

It is easy! I'll admit though that I've got a little music wire hook I use to fish strings out if they don't appear right under the soundhole...

What does this little music wire hook look like?

Top Bottom