Pic of Mainland Classic Mahogany Soprano

luvdat

Reaction score
Just to say Mainland sopranos deserve more praise...got the mahogany gloss!!!

Mainland 002 006..jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty! I know that lots of people rave about the red cedar Mainlands, but I much prefer the sound of the mahogany. Louder is not the most important critera for me.

Very pretty! I know that lots of people rave about the red cedar Mainlands, but I much prefer the sound of the mahogany. Louder is not the most important critera for me.

We've agreed on this before...louder is NOT the most important criteria for me either. I'll do a review maybe in a couple of days, but one of the very first thoughts that went through my mind while playing this mahog soprano gloss had to do with the regard here and there for the mahogany Mainlands relative to the red cedars...I said it just yesterday I think they are BOTH really great values...

Last edited:
I have a Red Cedar pineapple, but before I got that, I ordered a mahogany soprano as a gift for my niece, and I got to spend a few weeks with it (you know.... stretching the strings for her so it would stay in tune!) before we drove across the state for her birthday. I think they're BOTH really nice sounds. Now I desperately want a gloss mahogany soprano (the niece's is matte... I think the gloss looks nicer, but that's just me). I like the volume of the Cedar, but it also sounds great played softly. I like how it gets loud without having the sound "break up" the way some do... that kind of almost "Distortion" sound some ukes get when pushed hard. To my ear, the Cedar is clear at all volumes (as is my vintage Martin). I didn't have mine yet when I had my niece's here, so I didn't get to A/B them. So I can't think how they compare sound-wise. That's part of why I want a mahogany soprano!

I have a mainland mahogany tenor cutaway, and it is absolutely perfect both to look at and to hear. I love the look of mahogany with a gloss finish, and it is plenty loud for my taste. I agree that loudness isn't the only quality that should be looked for in a ukulele, and I would definitely recommend the mahogany Mainland to anyone in any size.

I just got a Mainland Red Cedar Soprano. It looks beautiful and sounds GREAT ! I put Southcoast strings on it and it sounds beautiful.
Great ukes.

Love my Mainland Mahogany Tenor with gloss finish.

Top Bottom