Embryonic banjo ukes

dave g

Reaction score
Four of 'em:

bukeemb.JPG

From left to right, walnut, spalted maple, cherry, and chestnut, all with their heels shaped and their birch dowels glued in place.

:D

Hi Dave,

What's the gestation period for a Banjo Uke?
Looking forward to the birth.

Cheers.

Contrary to popular belief, you can still find American chestnut. It is just extremely rare. Most of it is found in some old timer's barn who never got around to using it. I pickup up two pieces in a bunch of walnut that was given to me by a guy at church. Unfortunately, they are too small to make anything particularly useful out of.

~DB

not sure if these are more or less cute than when they're grown up?

They look great! The walnut takes the prize in my book - any tips on where we could find some in that color?

It's fairly common here in the Midwest. My first uke's sides were walnut:

Would you like me to send you some if it's not too dear?

ps. great thread, Dave--very interested in following you through the process!

Last edited:
Are these dowels pinned to the neck? Is that the hole low on the neck that looks like it crosses the dowel hole?

Thanks, everybody :)

The chestnut and the walnut both came in the last load of firewood I bought, about a year ago. It's time to buy more! That particular piece of cherry was given to be by Mike (hoosierhiver) at this year's UWC. The particular piece of spalted maple came from somewhere in eBay-land :)

The big dowel is indeed pinned in addition to being simply glued in place. Probably not necessary, but better safe than sorry...

I'll take more pictures as they progress. Today I did the fret boards and the heel blocks before giving in to the heat. The fret boards are in the kiln shrinking now - I'll finish them tomorrow & start spraying lacquer on the necks.

It's fairly common here in the Midwest....Would you like me to send you some if it's not too dear?

Matt, that would be great! P.M me for the rest - don't want to hijack Daves great banjo uke thread any further. Sorry everyone.

Dave, that's some pretty cool firewood you have there. You folks are so lucky... the cherry is redder, the walnut is browner, the maple is curlier, and the koa is... well, koa!

Last edited:
Top Bottom