what do you all use to record Audio?

blizz79

Reaction score
Just wondering whats the most economical way to record?

I have an 1/8inch mic input on my computer. Can I use a XLR to 1/8 inch chord and plug directly into the computer with an SM 57, or will I need a preamp of some sort?

The recorded volume might end up a little low. If you raise the volume in the recording program to compensate you could end up with too much signal noise. If you have an amp, I'd suggest running the SM57 into the instrument jack and run headphones out to the computer. You can use the amp volume for your preamp. Hope that helps!

You need a preamp for that mic. I like the M-Audio MobilePre.

You may find it cheaper and easier to get one of those desktop microphones from radio-shack. They're not at all expensive, but can come up with some very good results. Otherwise in an ideal world you won't use the built-in mic-in on your sound card at all if you can help it as they're generally shockingly poor. If you can afford an audio interface then do get one. The SM57's a great little mic.

One of our newer members impressed me with the sound quality of his Ipad in this thread. All he used was the mic that comes standard on the Ipad and an app called Daw Multitrack.

What I use.

I use a pc with a Pro-Tools MBox 2 Mini with two Samson condenser mics. I also have a PreSonus pre-amp which works pretty good. As far as monitors go, currently, I am using some old Sony speakers which seem to do pretty well. Definitely not ideal, but they work. Pro-Tools 8 LE is a great audio recording/editing program. Somewhat of a steep learning curve, but not too bad. I also purchased some Waves plug-ins (Musicians Bundle), which are terrific. I use them for tracking, mixing, and mastering! I am getting ready to update my studio with some new gear in the near future. JBL monitors, some better quality mics, and possibly a iMac/Macbook Pro.

You need a preamp for that mic. I like the M-Audio MobilePre.

The preamps are a lot less money now than they used to be. Back in the old days when we scratched out the score sheets on the cave walls, we used to use an inline transformer to step up the lowz SM57s to go into a HI Z input. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=shure+transformer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2344481374004533752&ei=H_XmTI2gPMekngf_kICWDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CEEQ8gIwBQ#

These work really well too. The mic still sounded really good with very good output levels.

Top Bottom