PDA

View Full Version : NFL Football 2010

seeso
08-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Any predictions? Who's your favorite team? Are the Cowboys going to play a Superbowl in their home stadium?

I'm a huge NFL fan. Can't wait for the season to begin. The Bears are my team. We have a lot of questions this year. If we don't make the playoffs, Lovie Smith will probably be gone. I like Lovie, he got us to the Superbowl not too long ago.

The biggest question facing the Bears this year is the offensive line. We have a young player protecting Cutler's blind side in Chris Williams. Cutler's going to need time to throw in new offensive coordinator Mike Martz' scheme. It seems like we have battles to see who sucks the least in three spots on the line. Only Williams and Olin Kreutz' jobs look secure.

Our wide receivers are still young and unproven. Martz loves them, but everything is roses in training camp. Can they digest his complicated scheme?

The other big issue is the secondary. We got Chris Harris back from Carolina this year. We should have never let him go. We've had over 20 changes in starters in the secondary the past couple of years, and Harris should help. One of our CB's is brittle, and the other is young. I'm hoping that a healthy Tommie Harris and new DE Julius Peppers will have a positive effect on the secondary.

There's a lot to be optimistic about -- the additions of Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor are huge pluses. We have 3 former head coaches on our staff. I like Tice coaching the O-line, Marinelli as Defensive Coordinator and Martz coaching the offense.

My prediction? I think they can win 9 or 10 games. If Favre comes back, I think we split with the Vikings. I think we split with the Packers, too. We sweep the Lions. It's one of the toughest divisions in football, but I like our chances, especially if Favre doesn't come back.

We make the playoffs as a wild card and lose to Dallas in the divisional round.

ricksan66
08-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Huge Cowboys fan here. I can't help, I was born in Fort Worth and grew up in Irving, home of the Cowboys until last season. My expectations are always high and I'd love to see a Super Bowl return, but I don't think it will be this year. My prediction, Cowboys make it to the NFC Championship game but lose to, I hate to say it, the Packers.

dnewton2
08-09-2010, 05:07 AM
I seem to remember a prediction last year about the Bears. How did that work out? :)

I personally am a Steelers fan and I think they have a tough season ahead. With Big Ben out 6 (maybe 4) games. Leftwich will be a good fill in though. If they can get the running game moving they should be ok for the first few games, hopefully 3-3.

The division is pretty tough, with Cincy doing well and Baltimore always playing tough. Browns, well what can I say except they are there.

luke'nlele
08-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Big Baltimore Ravens fans here! We'll have to revive last years song.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Heartstrings2009#p/a/u/2/VXMwlCwan8Y

Ukulele Friend
08-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Aloha Seeso,

My prediction is that we'll all be playing our ukes at commercial time to squeeze in a few more minutes of practice time. lol...I caught the game between Dallas and the Bengals yesterday as well. Hopefully, we're in for a great season of NFL.

best,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

nscafe
08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm ready for the season to start. I'm a big Seahawks fan, but there are so many changes this year I can't even attempt to predict what will happen with them. The NFC West once again appears to be wide open though since Kurt Warner retired.

seeso
08-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I seem to remember a prediction last year about the Bears. How did that work out? :)

Who's your team? Mine is, of course, Da Bears. I've never been more excited for a Bears season than I am for this one coming up. I think we have a good shot at a bye week for the first round of the playoffs.

Yes, Jay Cutler will make that much of a difference.

No comment. :p

appleuke
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Go Packers!

wickedwahine11
08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
It is no fun being in a town with no NFL team. I'm a rabid college football fan (Fight on 'SC! -- though my poor alma mater might be in for a couple rough years, thanks Reggie Bush!!!) but I just can't get into the NFL since I have nobody to root for.

I usually root for teams with former Trojans on them, so I briefly cheered for the Saints (no more since Reggie is persona non grata to me, though I am glad they won the Super Bowl for the folks in New Orleans), the Bengals and the Arizona Cardinals. I liked Mark Sanchez when he was at 'SC but I would not root for a New York team under penalty of death (those Red Sox ties run too deep for me). So I figured I might casually root for Seattle, since they have Pete Carroll and a host of former Trojans.

As annoyed as I am with Pete for racing out the door before the cavalry hit us with NCAA sanctions, and despite the fact that I renamed my miniature Trojan Garden Gnome (who instead of Pete, is now "Pete Isabutt")...sigh, I just can't stay mad at him. I don't know if it is his boyish enthusiasm or gung ho attitude, I just still have a soft spot in my heart for Pete Caroll. And hey, how fun would it be to root for an underdog? So umm, I guess, go Seahawks???

bigploch
08-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Any predictions? Who's your favorite team? Are the Cowboys going to play a Superbowl in their home stadium?

I'm a huge NFL fan. Can't wait for the season to begin. The Bears are my team. We have a lot of questions this year. If we don't make the playoffs, Lovie Smith will probably be gone. I like Lovie, he got us to the Superbowl not too long ago.

The biggest question facing the Bears this year is the offensive line. We have a young player protecting Cutler's blind side in Chris Williams. Cutler's going to need time to throw in new offensive coordinator Mike Martz' scheme. It seems like we have battles to see who sucks the least in three spots on the line. Only Williams and Olin Kreutz' jobs look secure.

Our wide receivers are still young and unproven. Martz loves them, but everything is roses in training camp. Can they digest his complicated scheme?

The other big issue is the secondary. We got Chris Harris back from Carolina this year. We should have never let him go. We've had over 20 changes in starters in the secondary the past couple of years, and Harris should help. One of our CB's is brittle, and the other is young. I'm hoping that a healthy Tommie Harris and new DE Julius Peppers will have a positive effect on the secondary.

There's a lot to be optimistic about -- the additions of Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor are huge pluses. We have 3 former head coaches on our staff. I like Tice coaching the O-line, Marinelli as Defensive Coordinator and Martz coaching the offense.

My prediction? I think they can win 9 or 10 games. If Favre comes back, I think we split with the Vikings. I think we split with the Packers, too. We sweep the Lions. It's one of the toughest divisions in football, but I like our chances, especially if Favre doesn't come back.

We make the playoffs as a wild card and lose to Dallas in the divisional round.

Seeso, I didn't know. THis is like dirty talk to me :) I have plenty of thoughts.

bigploch
08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Big Baltimore Ravens fans here! We'll have to revive last years song.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Heartstrings2009#p/a/u/2/VXMwlCwan8Y

I LOVE IT!!! Two of my favorite things! Ravens and ukes!

bigploch
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I am feeling a little rough today after driving to Bmore to watch the Ravens Panthers preseason game last night. How exciting is the new season going to be. I am a DIE HARD Ravens fan. I am wacco for Flacco and all that good stuff. For the Ravens, the additions of Stalworth and Boldin are HUGE. It's gonna be a challenging division though. Cleveland has Delhomme which is a huge unknown, but I still expect them to fall short. Cinci is gonna be sick with the CO TO show. Carson better be on his A game though. That could blow up in his face. Pittsburgh is ... well... Pittsburgh. Leftwich is a stud. He will do well. Rothlisberger will do well when he comes back (as long as he can quit raping people...allegedly). There are 3 solid teams and one unknown in the AFC North. We shall see....

PS - I have a large amount of disdain for the Steelers living in central PA so excuse me if my views are a bit biased.

seeso
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I am feeling a little rough today after driving to Bmore to watch the Ravens Panthers preseason game last night. How exciting is the new season going to be. I am a DIE HARD Ravens fan. I am wacco for Flacco and all that good stuff. For the Ravens, the additions of Stalworth and Boldin are HUGE. It's gonna be a challenging division though. Cleveland has Delhomme which is a huge unknown, but I still expect them to fall short. Cinci is gonna be sick with the CO TO show. Carson better be on his A game though. That could blow up in his face. Pittsburgh is ... well... Pittsburgh. Leftwich is a stud. He will do well. Rothlisberger will do well when he comes back (as long as he can quit raping people...allegedly). There are 3 solid teams and one unknown in the AFC North. We shall see....

PS - I have a large amount of disdain for the Steelers living in central PA so excuse me if my views are a bit biased.

If Favre comes back, your division and our division are the toughest in football. I'm a fan of Flacco, too. It'll be interesting to see how he does with an elite wide receiver. Ray Rice did awesome for me last year in fantasy. I'm looking for an even better year from him.

bigploch
08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
If Favre comes back, your division and our division are the toughest in football. I'm a fan of Flacco, too. It'll be interesting to see how he does with an elite wide receiver. Ray Rice did awesome for me last year in fantasy. I'm looking for an even better year from him.

Flacco may be a dark horse in fantasy with Stallworth, Boldin, and Mason.

cent
08-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Ray Rice did awesome for me last year in fantasy. I'm looking for an even better year from him.

not if i draft him first!

haolejohn
08-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll boldly make a prediction:

Falcons will play in the NFC championship game.

Brad Bordessa
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
49ers. Maybe after years of suckyness they can pull out a miracle. I think Singletary is great, Alex Smith - not so much. Maybe the new kid quarterback will get some playing time. Last year he looked good.

And I know it means beans, but we've got one pre-season game under our belt. WWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOHHHHAAAAA!

bigploch
08-16-2010, 09:10 AM
I'll boldly make a prediction:

Falcons will play in the NFC championship game.

They were looking sharp in that preseason game. There are some unknowns in the NFC though.

luke'nlele
08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I LOVE IT!!! Two of my favorite things! Ravens and ukes!

Thanks so much, Dan. Glad you liked it.

seeso
08-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks like Favre is back in Minnesota. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5470904

bigploch
08-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Watched a ton of preseason football over the weekend. Loved the 49ers Vikes last night. Favre got smashed. It was hilarious. Chili got scared and pulled him. LOL. I think the Pack will have the upper hand in the NFC North, sorry sees. I just don't buy Cutler especially with no receivers to speak of.

seeso
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
The NFL is back. All is right with the world.

NikePenguin
09-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Raiders showing they still don't know how to play football. Pathetic.

bigploch
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
How bout dem RAVENS!!! Loving the passing game. Now we need more of it. Housh looked good in purple too. It was ugly but a W is a W.

thejumpingflea
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
How about them Seahawks?

bigploch
09-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Do they still play? I thought that geriatric QB retired. Just kidding. How they put that butt whopping on the Niners is amazing. Haven't heard a word about it until I just looked up the score. How long till Hasselbeck gets hurt?

dnewton2
09-15-2010, 01:55 AM
How bout dem RAVENS!!! Loving the passing game. Now we need more of it. Housh looked good in purple too. It was ugly but a W is a W.

I have heard about how the Ravens D kept the Jets at bay for 2 days now. They might have but didn't the Jets hold the Ravens to just 10 points (1 more then 9). I think a lot of sports reporters are missing half the story, but at the end of the day there is a 1 in the W column.

Personally I am way more impressed with the Steelers, might be biased. Winning with their 3rd string QB.

haolejohn
09-15-2010, 02:00 AM
I have heard about how the Ravens D kept the Jets at bay for 2 days now. They might have but didn't the Jets hold the Ravens to just 10 points (1 more then 9). I think a lot of sports reporters are missing half the story, but at the end of the day there is a 1 in the W column.

Personally I am way more impressed with the Steelers, might be biased. Winning with their 3rd string QB.

Their third string QB didn't win that game. Their D won that game and the fact that the Falcons offense dropped a poop bomb.

bigploch
09-15-2010, 04:50 AM

No doubt, the Jets D is sick. Flacco isn't the greatest QB but with the weapons he had, the score should have been closer to 21. Turnovers killed the Ravens but they squeaked it out.

I watched that whole Steelers game and was impressed too. Although, the Falcons ain't exactly top notch skill these days. Their D is suspect. Dixon can scramble with the best of them. I want to see how the Ravens fare against the Bengals and Pitt v the Titans. Should be a good weekend.

dnewton2
09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
I watched that whole Steelers game and was impressed too. Although, the Falcons ain't exactly top notch skill these days. Their D is suspect. Dixon can scramble with the best of them. I want to see how the Ravens fare against the Bengals and Pitt v the Titans. Should be a good weekend.

I guess I am torn between Ravens v Bengals. On one hand I really want Cincy to lose every game just because of all the clowns, on the other I don't want the Ravens to win because they will be competing for the divison.

I think it will be interesting to see if the Steelers can stop, or slow down, Chris Johnson. I think as long as Polomolu is on the field they should be alright, but I think Pitt is going to need more the 9 points in regulation to pull a win off.

nscafe
09-15-2010, 07:50 AM
How about them Seahawks?

Indeed. I hope they have a few more of those in them. They don't have the luxury of playing the 49ers every week... :)

scubatrevor1024
09-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Skol vikings

seeso
09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
I'll be the first to admit I didn't think the Bears had any chance of beating Dallas yesterday. So glad I was wrong! GO BEARS!

armytrucker77
09-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Im a Texans fan myself...what can I say but stick with the home team.

dnewton2
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Any one want to jump on the Steelers Bandwagon while there are still seats availble? (Standing room will be an option later in the season)

Seriously though 7 turnovers. Chris Johnson under 100 yards. Might be the best D in the league this year.

seeso
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Any one want to jump on the Steelers Bandwagon while there are still seats availble? (Standing room will be an option later in the season)

Seriously though 7 turnovers. Chris Johnson under 100 yards. Might be the best D in the league this year.

Ain't no "might" about it. Absolutely the best defense in the league. They could win with me under center.

dnewton2
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
How about Da Bears, there sesso. Looking alright this year.

seeso
09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
How about Da Bears, there sesso. Looking alright this year.

Looking improved, at least. We essentially had 4 major acquisitions on defense. Peppers is the obvious one, but Urlacher was out all last year, and Tommie Harris was injured all last year. They are both healthy now. Plus the reacquisition of Chris Harris has stabilized a secondary that has been in flux since he left after the Superbowl year.

The most significant acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball were coaches. Martz and Tice have made us a lot better. It's great to see us finally take shots downfield. Dallas was blitzing us like crazy early, until Martz called some quick strike passes and made them pay. It was beautiful to see.

When we lost our starting left tackle, Tice shuffled his remaining pieces until he found a combination that worked. Compare the first quarter protection with the remaining three quarters and you'll see remarkable improvement. That's coaching.

Inner Prop
01-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Anybody have the chords for Bear Down Chicago Bears?

That song was written the last time the Bears and Packers faced each other in the playoffs. Guess who won? Da Bears.

dnewton2
01-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Anybody have the chords for Bear Down Chicago Bears?

That song was written the last time the Bears and Packers faced each other in the playoffs. Guess who won? Da Bears.

I don't know this song but I did hear some intersting facts about the last time they played each other

it was 7 days after Pearl Harbor was attacked
3 cent stamps - now 44 cents
35 cent/hour minimum wage - now 7.25

I am routing for a Steelers v. Bears Super Bowl. Honestly All I really want is Steelers to get Ring #7.

Inner Prop
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I did a blog post about how things were different back then (http://illini6.blogspot.com/2011/01/last-time-bears-and-packers-met-in-post.html).

Chords anyone?

seeso
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Bear down, Chicago Bears!

http://www.box.net/shared/bguo80nntt

swervy jervy
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Yippity-dippity-dappatty-do! (see avatar)

Inner Prop
01-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Seeso. I didn't see this until today, so I'll be ready for next year.

I went to my brother's house to cringe at the game. It had started before I left my house so I didn't bring my uke, I didn't want her to see it, and I didn't want to associate her with such sad feelings. To award the Halas Trophy to Green Bay in Soldier Field, now I know what Cornwallis must have felt, the world turned upside down.

GO STEELERS!!!

dnewton2
01-25-2011, 02:14 AM
GO STEELERS!!!

Totally. I picked the Steelers in a pool my brother does, pick them every year. I really don't care too much about the $$, just want to see the team I route for win.

Inner Prop
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I just want to see the Packers go down. Oh and it's also nice that the Steeler's running back is an Illini alum.

Where can I get one of those towels to hang from my car?