Just bought a Makala dolphin soprano!

Ukedani

Reaction score
And it's all Lori's fault. ;) I saw hers at the Mighty Uke event and then I discovered a bunch of You Tube videos of them. What delightful little ukes they are! I got an orange burst from MGM w/ Aquilas.

Gotta love the dolphins! For a beginner uke, they play surprisingly well! I'm teaching my friend to play, and she got a purple one, ordered it on friday at 1 AM, shipped out this morning. She's super excited to get it and play it all the time which will probably piss off her roommates. haha

Who doesn't haha especially when you don't regret what you bought at all (like the makala dolphin as opposed to really anything else..)
Oh and congrats on being our newest senior member ha

Ya and it's easy to push the "buy" button at 1am after watching uke videos on You Tube on my iphone while trying to fall asleep! Senior member? Well whaddya know about that? :)

Congrats on the new Orange Burst Uke. Glad I could help. It is really pretty in person, and so cheerful and sunny.

I often think of uke shopping as a way of clearing my mind so I can sleep. My latest ukulele of interest is this new one promised by Ohana... a 5 string (high and low g ) tenor! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWTlSrep_o&playnext=1&videos=Xc4yNR6KP6Q
I can't wait to try one of those out!

–Lori

That's actually a really cool idea.. I really want to play one ha idk about buying it just yet, but playing it seems safe... even though I usually buy just about everything that I play.. haha

Congrats on the Dolphin purchase! I do so adore mine.

Yay!!! Orange Burst Club!

Ahhh.....I was on the fence about getting one but now I think I might have to.

Congrats, by the way :)

You wont regret it - if you check my sig you will see I own a range of some reasonably nice Ukes. Whilst I adore my mainland, I find myself picking up the Dolphin more than anything else - sounds good, tunes well, great fun. In fact I gigged with mine recently - stood up well.

Thanks Lori for the link to Ken's review of the Ohana. It's beautiful. I love Ken's reviews - he is so thorough. That uke actually looks similar to the Lanikai LU21 (in color and binding) and also a lot like a baby brother to my custom Clarksdale guitar. See here:
CrossroadsCloseUp.jpg

The Dolphin was my first Uke ( a mere 3 weeks ago ), I now have a Makala Concert and a second Dolphin that I painted in a Doctor Who design. I have put some images on another thread. I am looking at spending a bit more on another concert size Uke....Saw a very nice Kala FMC today it sounded very sweet indeed will probably buy it next week, don't think the Dolphin is ever going to be sitting idle though, it's guaranteed to put a smile on my face. I am going to hand paint another and stick it on e bay see if I can make a profit on my £19.99 plus paint and time. Might be a hobby that actually makes a profit.

Congrats on the Dolphin and that orange color is awesome!! Post some pics if you can!!

You wont regret it - if you check my sig you will see I own a range of some reasonably nice Ukes. Whilst I adore my mainland, I find myself picking up the Dolphin more than anything else - sounds good, tunes well, great fun. In fact I gigged with mine recently - stood up well.

Paul, are you a soprano player at heart? I did change those strings on my Mainlands...to Hilos..and I love them even more now!!! I appreciate the push though I did opt for a different tonal option...

Get a Mainland soprano, Paul...you won't regret it!!!

And yes Makala Dolphins Rock!!! Stood up well? I think sopranos in their own way blow away a lot of tenors not in terms of volume but with rhythmic compression....

Last edited:
I've got an orange burst dolphin aswell, should we start a club? ;D

How's this for cheesy? When I bought my Light blue burst Dolphin I got that color cause it sort of looked like the dolphin was swimming.

Just purchased the orange burst for my niece. Received it today and I'm really pleased. Good deal from MGM. Might have a hard time handing it over to her this weekend.

Top Bottom