to Pick or not to pick (with a pick)

DAPuke

Reaction score
That is the question.
Hi UU peeps, I was jamming with my friend the other day and his acoustic guitar was so loud I couldn't hear my own Makala MK-T. I am a newbie pointer finger strummer. What can I do to be heard? Use a pick or get electrified? I have a mic and small amp to use, and there is always the pick up install option.
Can I use a pick? I read somewhere on the all mighty internet that a pick will ruin my new Aquila's. True/False...aaaaaah!
Mahalo in advance for your opinions and advice.
DAP

Yeah, what Kanaka916 said.

Also, the guitar is bigger and will naturally have the capacity at more loudness. BUT, since the two of you are playing together, adjustments have to be made. He can certainly play softer. You can generate a bit more volume. it's not a competition so work together, read through the threads, and have a good time!

Get a KoAloha and put Worth clears on it. You will be plenty loud then.

Mainly I'm joking but it is true.

Read the threads Kanaka listed. You have to decide for yourself what works best for you.
Are you just learning how to play and jam? If so, then it's not so terrible you might be a little softer. It'll come.

Thank you for the advice, words of wisdom and links. I will go pickless and learn to strum properly. I've been at it for 6mo and may be getting ahead of myself. I am learning to play, jam and sing along, for now that is enough. Foundation first. Thanks again, when I get it together a bit more I'll post a vid.

DAP

Yeah, guitars are just plain louder instruments than ukes. Your friend just needs to play more quietly.

Maybe tell him to play without a pick?

JJ

Bang on JJ - when I have gigged alongside a guitar, the guitarist plays with fingers. I never use a pick on my ukes - just doesnt feel right.

That said, I have also played electrified uke through a little pignose travel amp at a jam at our local pub. Just put the pignose under my chair and adjusted volume to match the others - worked well, and didnt over dominate.

I vote no pick. The tactile dimension of 'ukulele is one of the lovely things about it. A pick just lessens that cool, organic connected feeling that uke has.

Oy vey, sounds like I went all hippie there for a moment...

totally agree with the above.

Plus, my uke is a "go anywhere" instrument - get reliant on a pick and then you need to carry them around too.

(okay, I'm a guitarist, and my pocket always has picks in it, but you know what I mean)

Didn't go read the other threads, but one of the things is to occupy different space. A ukulele is a naturally higher instrument, so if the guitar emphasises his lower strings, you will be playing notes that he will not, and your sound won't have so much competition.

Aside from that, I totally agree with what that hippie said about fingers... Peace out. ;)

That is the question.
Hi UU peeps, I was jamming with my friend the other day and his acoustic guitar was so loud I couldn't hear my own Makala MK-T. I am a newbie pointer finger strummer. What can I do to be heard? Use a pick or get electrified? I have a mic and small amp to use, and there is always the pick up install option.
Can I use a pick? I read somewhere on the all mighty internet that a pick will ruin my new Aquila's. True/False...aaaaaah!
Mahalo in advance for your opinions and advice.
DAP

Yes. Hard plastic, bone and metal picks will most definately nick-up your Aquila strings and ding-up the front of your ukulele. However, you can use felt, leather and wood picks.

The use of picks and fingers is entirely up to the player. Some people prefer to go all fingers, some people prefer to pick away, some people do either. I am in the "either" camp. It doesn't make the experience any less organic for me.:cool:

I keep one wood pick under my clip on tuner. I have made pendants and earrings out of koa picks because they look cool with kukui nut leis and also because it always keeps a pick handy incase I need one.

Just keep at strumming and picking to develop strength and accuracy. Also let your jamming buddy try some ukulele while you try his guitar so you both develop some empathy for each other.;)

I have a very thin guitar plastic pick that is attached to my uke strap. I use it more for the increase in "pop" on chords and definition on solos. It's just another tool to play what I feel. It is a cheap way to bump up the volume however.

I have a problem holding a pick so I have an acrylic fingernail on my index finger. It works GREAT. If I want to play softer I can use a finger w/o an acrylic nail. Its about 5 dollars for one nail and I fill it in myself when it grows out.

I've been using a pick recently on a song i'm working around with on my ukelele, partly because I'm not very good at "fingerpicking", you could say.

Top Bottom